Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 11:21 PM

95 posts, read 161,162 times

Advertisements

How feasible is it with la weather to stop service with nicor, remove all gas lines in house and only use electricity to cook and heat the house?

I know in beach communities like Malibu and Santa Monica it can get very cold in the winter months, but how about a house deep in the valley (Calabasas or Woodland Hills)?

Is it a sustainable solution? How cold does it usually get? I plan to use space heaters, electric stoves, countertop oven, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 12:08 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,202 times
Unless you plan on also installing solar panels and a comprehensive battery system for said panels you would just be using more coal energy to meet your energy needs, which is worse than natural gas. And space heaters are dangerous power hogs. It would likely cost you more and be worse for the environment.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:22 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgermaine View Post

I know in beach communities like Malibu and Santa Monica it can get very cold in the winter months, but how about a house deep in the valley (Calabasas or Woodland Hills)?
Average winter time highs in the upper 60's. Average winter time lows in the low 40's with plenty of nights when the lows hit the high 30's.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:45 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgermaine View Post
How feasible is it with la weather to stop service with nicor, remove all gas lines in house and only use electricity to cook and heat the house?

Is it a sustainable solution? How cold does it usually get? I plan to use space heaters, electric stoves, countertop oven, etc.
You've got it backwards. The closer to the water, the warmer the winter nights.

There is virtually no frost at the beach (some places have gone 50 years with no frost) meanwhile in inland they are scraping windshields in the morning. A great guide is the Sunset Western Garden Guide, they have all the microclimates mapped out. Choose Zone 24 if you like a climate where you'll never need AC and may be able to get by within minimal to no heat in winter.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:20 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
gas is much cheaper than electricity, why would you want to go all electric? i have an electric clothes dryer and have been told many times by different people that I should switch to gas and i'll save a bunch of money.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:20 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,909 times
I live a mile from the ocean in SD and ran my heater once (for about an hour on NYE) this past winter.

The closer you are to the ocean, the warmer it stays at night. It gets colder at night the more inland you go (and hotter during the day)

Old 06-09-2015, 06:00 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,924 times
Maybe OP really wants to do some kind of off-the-grid shack or garage conversion...

It doesn't make sense to cut gas because it's cheaper than electricity, as mentioned.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:15 PM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
We don't heat our house at all (15 miles from the coast in Orange County), but our water heater and dryer are gas. You could easily use electricity for all of the above, but as everyone else has said, gas is much cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles