Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 05:48 PM

4 posts, read 6,448 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

I've never been to LA, have to go to a small event on Tuesday next week. I arrive at noon on Monday, fly back Tuesday night.

Now say you're in a similar situation, don't want to sleep, and want to explore instead, where do you go/what do you do?

Being a nature person I really wanted to drive to Joshua State Park and see the milky way (monday night happens to be the perfect conditions) but looks like they don't have overnight parking. Can someone shed some light on this? Or any other suggestions?

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 10:07 PM

317 posts, read 403,683 times
Find a way to stay more nights. You cant do much in one day. LA is just to massive to explore alot in one day.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:09 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_marts View Post
Find a way to stay more nights. You cant do much in one day. LA is just to massive to explore alot in one day.
It could work if the OP limits themselves to one attraction/area, as they suggested. They are just in LA by happenstance, so it's not like the intent is to explore LA deeply.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:47 AM

4 posts, read 6,448 times
^ happenstance indeed that's why I thought of Joshua State Park. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Old 06-10-2015, 08:52 AM

231 posts, read 201,962 times
Go to the beach, the parks, the rivers, check out the college campuses, the stadiums, the food, Hollywood, etc.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:03 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
I hear Griffith Observatory is nice at night. Although I think it closes at a certain time 10? Me personally I would probably do Griffith Observatory and drive down Hollywood Blvd & Sunset.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:31 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
As you say you're a nature person, I second Griffith Observatory at night. Go for a hike up the Santa Monica mountains in the morning to watch the sunrise. During the day on Monday, explore Hollywood, Santa Monica, Venice.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:32 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
I will tell you what I wouldn't do.

I wouldn't go to Hollywood.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:38 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,664 times
sounds like your only free day is monday with work on tuesday. joshua state park sounds cool but seems a tad far & could drain you. since it sounds like you fly into lax monday, id head to the beach cities from the airport. take a jog down the boardwalk/beach, bike or swim near santa monica/venice/manhattan/hermosa. have dinner and drinks also somewhere off the coast closeby in the evening. at night, head to Griffith to scope out the observatory and a panoramic view of the city.

if you got time in the morning, maybe take a hike or run near griffith park ( i enjoyed working out there when i lived in burbank, feels secluded), or runyon canyon before whatever you gotta do.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:45 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I will tell you what I wouldn't do.

I wouldn't go to Hollywood.
Why not? You don't think Hollywood is worth seeing? I think Hollywood is often overlooked as a tourist trap, but there is lot's of cool architecture and cool places to look if you look beyond the souvenir shops. Tons of history too. Yes the streets are still dirty ..especially a couple blocks from Hollywood/Highland, but I see Hollywood changing a lot and it's getting cleaned up ,gentrified whatever you want to call it I was surprised how much the intersection of Sunset/Western has changed near the metro station there , they have lots of new stores there and it looks like 'shady' or rundown.

I think now is a great time to explore Hollywood...before it gets more gentrified in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles