Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 03:05 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times

Advertisements

Where in L.A can you guarantee not getting hit up for change?

Also I'm not sure if I agree that DTLA is a mecca for transplant living.. I'd think the westside is more likely ,especially near the beach...or the places that have been hyped up as being 'the hippest neighborhoods in the U.S" like Echo Park,etc.

I agree about the realities of downtown, big homeless population,etc.

It's kind of a shame because the city could do more ...and DTLA is obviously their "showpiece" you can tell because of all the attention placed on DTLA these days.

Over $56MILLION spent on Grand Park,etc...

The city is too scared to do anything about the homeless issue because they don't want to upset the voters, voters that don't have to deal with the realities for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 10:13 PM

925 posts, read 1,332,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
Agreed. The LAPD downtown is more focused on giving jaywalking tickets than deal with homeless people who pee in the streets and walk around with grocery carts of garbage. It's pathetic.
What are the police suppose to do with the mentally ill homeless people? Shoot them all?

Old 06-21-2015, 10:14 PM

925 posts, read 1,332,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
I drove around Staples center at night to see some of the newer buildings (since I'm looking to buy something) and the answer was simply: NO. JUST NO.

Homeless people EVERYWHERE. the entire place looks like Rio's favelas.

UNBELIEVABLE that the city doesn't do something about it.

as I was driving around that area, there were homeless people everywhere. walking, laying down on the side walk, with TENTS. F'ING TENTS going. How's that even legal.

LAPD is a disgrace.

Rant being said, don't live downtown unless you want to get chased by a hobo with an AIDS infected needle.

By the way, I'm also in the tech field.

Good luck.
Doesn;t sound like you have been in dtla the past decade

Old 06-21-2015, 10:32 PM

399 posts, read 406,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
What are the police suppose to do with the mentally ill homeless people? Shoot them all?
Arrest them and have the courts prosecute them. Last I checked, sleeping on public property, being drunk and/or high in public, urinating in public, being in possession of stolen goods (where exactly did they BUY the shopping carts they're pushing around), etc. are all against the law. How about getting tough on the homeless for all of those broken laws instead of harassing hard-working citizens over minor BS.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
Arrest them and have the courts prosecute them. Last I checked, sleeping on public property, being drunk and/or high in public, urinating in public, being in possession of stolen goods (where exactly did they BUY the shopping carts they're pushing around), etc. are all against the law. How about getting tough on the homeless for all of those broken laws instead of harassing hard-working citizens over minor BS.
You seem to have forgot that 'homeless people' are above the law in L.A.

If tax payers break a law they pay big penalties for it...usually equal to many days or weeks worth of work or possibly jail time.

But if the homeless break a law, then you are 'infringing on their civil rights' because they should have the right to urinate, defecate, aggressively panhandle, loiter on the streets.

The problem homeless are smart enough to know where they can get away with breaking laws and where their nonsense will just not be tolerated.

We are also supposed to act like these actions don't lower the quality of life for residents or visitors of an area...because if you make those statements you are being politically incorrect.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:46 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
You seem to have forgot that 'homeless people' are above the law in L.A.

If tax payers break a law they pay big penalties for it...usually equal to many days or weeks worth of work or possibly jail time.

But if the homeless break a law, then you are 'infringing on their civil rights' because they should have the right to urinate, defecate, aggressively panhandle, loiter on the streets.

The problem homeless are smart enough to know where they can get away with breaking laws and where their nonsense will just not be tolerated.

We are also supposed to act like these actions don't lower the quality of life for residents or visitors of an area...because if you make those statements you are being politically incorrect.
Are the homeless still doing smash and grabs? Prosecuting along those lines may be more palatable, especially considering it is often middle to low income people who are typical victims (e.g. they can't afford paid parking / parking fees charged by residential complexes).

Old 06-22-2015, 10:13 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,768,301 times
Quote:

I agree about the realities of downtown, big homeless population,etc.

It's kind of a shame because the city could do more ...and DTLA is obviously their "showpiece" you can tell because of all the attention placed on DTLA these days.

Over $56MILLION spent on Grand Park,etc...
FYI, the construction of Grand Park was not taxpayer funded, it was paid for by the developer (Related Co.) of the Grand Avenue project. That was part of their entitlement/approvals back in 07 or so. The economy blew a hole in the developer's proforma but the city wisely structured the deal so the city got the park right away. One of the smarter moves by city hall I can think of in recent years.

Quote:

The city is too scared to do anything about the homeless issue because they don't want to upset the voters, voters that don't have to deal with the realities for the most part.
Always fun to blame city hall but as I have posted several times (including earlier in this thread), the COURTS have tied the city's hand on the homeless regardless of what the current city leadership would or would not do...and the prior administration did try to move on cleaning up skid row but various court rulings stopped them cold in their tracks.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:01 PM

So it seems basically the $56 million was kind of a kick back for being allowed to build developments that they otherwise would not be able to build?

I'm sure the courts are screwed up too, but I haven't heard any of the city politicians mentioning cleaning up skid row as a priority recently have you?

Old 06-23-2015, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 1,302 times
Default Dtla

The bottom line is you have to walk the area at ALL hours. Does your girlfriend jog at 6am? Do the jog and see what it's like, does it feel safe. Does she walk a dog at midnight? DTLA is not for everyone but there are plenty of DTLA residents and business owners that continue to make it a livable and dynamic city. Continue the DTLA research.

If you need to stay close to work you might check out:
* Highland Park, just south of DTLA 10 minute drive/20 minute metro. Highland Park is very hot right now.
* Eagle Rock, vibrant hip city
* South Pasadena-great downtown area, midwest feel, casual & smart community
* Pasadena-international city, Rose Bowl, midwest feel but modern and innovative. 6 metro stations

Old 06-23-2015, 01:58 AM

399 posts, read 406,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasadenaUrban View Post
The bottom line is you have to walk the area at ALL hours. Does your girlfriend jog at 6am? Do the jog and see what it's like, does it feel safe. Does she walk a dog at midnight? DTLA is not for everyone but there are plenty of DTLA residents and business owners that continue to make it a livable and dynamic city. Continue the DTLA research.

If you need to stay close to work you might check out:
* Highland Park, just south of DTLA 10 minute drive/20 minute metro. Highland Park is very hot right now.
* Eagle Rock, vibrant hip city
* South Pasadena-great downtown area, midwest feel, casual & smart community
* Pasadena-international city, Rose Bowl, midwest feel but modern and innovative. 6 metro stations
Highland Park is NORTH of DTLA.

It's a great neighborhood... if you enjoy having masked hispanic thugs running around at night posting fake eviction notices on your homes and businesses, trying to intimidate you into leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles