U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 10:34 PM

747 posts, read 527,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Cost of living is higher in Australia, but at least they pay you right. Minimum wage is $16 AUD, and I was getting paid $25 an hour plus overtime which is double your pay rate. With a similar job in America, I would have been lucky to make 13 or 14 bucks an hour.
Cost of living was fairly high in Australia, though education and healthcare were much, much, much cheaper, so overall it was probably slightly cheaper to live in Australia. Also the cost of housing of services, housing etc in Los Angeles is probably at least as high as Sydney was as it's much more expensive than the "average" American city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 10:43 PM

631 posts, read 597,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
So you're just fine with EMT's making less than $15/hour?
Nope, I suggest they move to a state that actually pays well with a reasonable cost of living, like Nevada.

Top 10 Best and Worst States to Be an EMT/Paramedic - AllHealthcare.com

Old 06-16-2015, 10:48 PM

1,058 posts, read 997,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Show me where an increase in minimum wage has led to an equal increase in the cost of goods, services and housing.
I'll wait.
Show me where prices don't increase...I'll wait.

Wow, that's fun.

I guess that is why I asked a question as opposed to saying definitvely that prices would necessarily increase.

I ask questions that I want answered, I don't ask them to reaffirm my ideas on things.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:17 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,876,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Cost of living was fairly high in Australia, though education and healthcare were much, much, much cheaper, so overall it was probably slightly cheaper to live in Australia. Also the cost of housing of services, housing etc in Los Angeles is probably at least as high as Sydney was as it's much more expensive than the "average" American city.
I was saving over 2 thousand a month while over there. And that was living in Sydney. Impossible to do that on 13-14 bucks an hour in the US.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:58 PM

25,306 posts, read 16,148,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Show me where prices don't increase...I'll wait.

Wow, that's fun.

I guess that is why I asked a question as opposed to saying definitvely that prices would necessarily increase.

I ask questions that I want answered, I don't ask them to reaffirm my ideas on things.
Even the business owners themselves where the min wage has already gone up a lot like in Oakland have raised their prices
"However, most of the restaurant owners we have spoken to have all raised their prices much more than 2.5%. Chris Hillyard of Farley’s coffee shops in Uptown and in Emeryville raised his prices between 5% and 15%, depending on the item. Sal Bednarz of Actual Café and Victory Burger gave most of his items at 9% bump. Porter’s prices went up around 15%."
East Bay restaurants adapt to new minimum wage | Berkeleyside

Keep in mind this is just the beginning...and wages in the cities like Oakland and L.A is go up every year because of these laws.

There is no question on the issue of will prices go up because of this..it's how much will they go up because of this. Businesses are already doing it in Seattle and elsewhere. To say costs won't go up is just delusional.

Bottomline it means more money out of pocket to subsidize a higher wage.

It's a gamble as businesses don't have to stay in a certain city or State. They could say enough is enough and move somewhere the economics works better.

This is an article about the min wage increase in Seattle
Can Seattle’s restaurants survive the new $15 minimum wage? | Grist

With perspectives from actual business owners.

When I want to find out about how a certain issue will affect someone, I think it's best to get the perspective of actual members of the group being affected rather than opinions of people that don't understand even basic economics of cost of doing business.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:55 AM

399 posts, read 312,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
His daddy accepting whatever wage was given him makes him our genetic superior, apparently . Sounds more like a lemming for big business to me.
My father owns his own business.

He came to this country (No, not from Mexico.) and worked multiple jobs at a time, saving his nickels and dimes, in order to support his family both here and back home (My mother stayed home and raised us. My father's hard work supported us all and allowed us to be raised in a loving home.).

By working hard and bettering himself -- constantly taking his skills to the next level, being responsible, being accountable, being determined and committed -- he was able to buy us a great home and to start his own business.

Never once along the way did he whine about the minimum wage being too low or talk about a "living wage". That's what losers do. Need more money? Get a second job. Not enough? Get a third job. For years my father worked three jobs, only sleeping 3-4 hours a night and waking up to spend an hour of quality time with us kids before going off to work. THAT'S what winners do. That's why he is where he is today, instead of on a picket line demanding $15/hour for BS menial work that anyone with a functioning nervous system can do.

Stay losing, chumps.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:08 AM

1,058 posts, read 997,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

When I want to find out about how a certain issue will affect someone, I think it's best to get the perspective of actual members of the group being affected rather than opinions of people that don't understand even basic economics of cost of doing business.
Finally some answers. It just never made sense to me that you could increase the minimum wage and ensure that it has the same buying power. Prices will just rise and people will be back in the same position that they were before.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:22 AM

13,325 posts, read 18,449,699 times
The minimum wage in metropolitan areas with at least 1,000,000 population should be pegged to each metropolitan area's Consumer Price Index. In rural areas, and metropolitan areas with less than 1,000,000 population, it should be pegged to the Consumer Price Index of each state.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:44 AM

9,831 posts, read 7,884,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post

He came to this country (No, not from Mexico.) and worked multiple jobs at a time, saving his nickels and dimes, in order to support his family both here and back home (My mother stayed home and raised us. My father's hard work supported us all and allowed us to be raised in a loving home.).

By working hard and bettering himself -- constantly taking his skills to the next level, being responsible, being accountable, being determined and committed -- he was able to buy us a great home and to start his own business.

Never once along the way did he whine about the minimum wage being too low or talk about a "living wage". That's what losers do. Need more money? Get a second job. Not enough? Get a third job. For years my father worked three jobs, only sleeping 3-4 hours a night and waking up to spend an hour of quality time with us kids before going off to work. THAT'S what winners do. That's why he is where he is today, instead of on a picket line demanding $15/hour for BS menial work that anyone with a functioning nervous system can do.

Stay losing, chumps.
Touching story, Capra would be proud.

But wait a sec--winners dutifully accept crap wages, never demanding a more reasonable share? Interesting concept of winning you have.

Adusting for inflation and CoL, $15/hr in 2020 will be worth the 2015 equivalent of $9.75/hr. That might be ok for George Bailey, your father, and the GOP shills who spend their days and nights licking the boots of the 1%, but for the rest of us, thats still pretty awful. But at least it's an improvement.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:45 AM

4,155 posts, read 4,595,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post

Stay losing, chumps.
And your plan is to suck on his teet until you die. There's no other reason ro draw from another person's experience when discussing this particular subject. I've heard your type belch that line for years. If I were cynical, I wouldn't say any of this and just give you my card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or