Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 12:28 PM

927 posts, read 2,465,885 times

Advertisements

Transportation is what really kills you in LA. Gas, insurence, and maintainance with all the traffic makes it horrible. My car and rent expenses are the only REAL significant increases I've had since moving out of the midwest.

You can find rent for under $600 under, mostly with roomates. I haven't seen a studio anywhere for that low (although I haven't really been looking either). When I first moved to LA, I lived in a small guest house with 3 guys and paid $525/month + utilities + internet.

Gas is more like $3.75 - $4.00 gallon now, only 30 cents more than it is in the midwest.

Food on $150/week (per person) sounds about right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 02:27 PM

73 posts, read 205,101 times
Thanks for posting that!
Hmm, I should recalculate it with $800 on rent (b/c when I stayed there I was subleasing for that amount or under) and with a dollar above minimum wage and see if that works out...

And you're right, I didn't (when I lived there previously) and won't (when I move back) be using a car. I used the bus.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:49 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,958,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
You can rent a room in a house for $600 and under.. there's countless # of them in the San Gabriel Valley.
Yep, you can rent tons of room for under $500 in OC too, $500 is for a huge master bedroom with your own entrance and bath etc. Mainly through the Asian newspapers in OC; I'm sure its the same in SGV. You can find rooms for $400 too that are decent and not bad at all.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:18 PM

497 posts, read 1,503,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennea4 View Post
Thanks for posting that!
Hmm, I should recalculate it with $800 on rent (b/c when I stayed there I was subleasing for that amount or under) and with a dollar above minimum wage and see if that works out...

And you're right, I didn't (when I lived there previously) and won't (when I move back) be using a car. I used the bus.
A little scooter can get you around pretty quick if you dont mind 2 wheels.
Saves a lot of time when you dont have to wait for a bus and they get great mpg.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:05 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganto_2010 View Post
when i was renting
a one bed was 975 a two bed was 1275
lights were between 350-550
gas 10 bucks
phone 40
net 60
cell 40
food 100 a week
car ins 250 a month
car pmyt 1000 a month
satellite 85 a month
a total at worst 4010 a month
The above is certainly not a minimum-wage lifestyle.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:54 PM

244 posts, read 629,224 times
minimum wage in LA is $6,75 only?

It's about to hit $10 in Montreal (Quebec)

Where do you get rent at $650 in LA?

Old 10-06-2011, 02:56 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathieuL View Post
minimum wage in LA is $6,75 only?

It's about to hit $10 in Montreal (Quebec)

Where do you get rent at $650 in LA?

Here.

Also, California minimum wage is $8 USD/hr.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:59 PM

244 posts, read 629,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post

Here.

Also, California minimum wage is $8 USD/hr.
Thanks!

Why did he say $6,75? was this an old thread unless I didn't see properly?

$8 is still relatively low considering how expensive it is in LA (from what I hear)

but I guess it's livable at a certain extent...

Old 10-06-2011, 03:55 PM

927 posts, read 2,465,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathieuL View Post
Thanks!

Why did he say $6,75? was this an old thread unless I didn't see properly?

$8 is still relatively low considering how expensive it is in LA (from what I hear)

but I guess it's livable at a certain extent...
This is an old thread, started years ago.

It's pretty pointless, as you would hope one would want to make more than minimium wage over the scope of their life.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,159 times
Smile Yes you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
You cant live on $100 a month in food. When I was in college, I was spending $100 a week in food and I didnt eat out either. $100 a month is basically living on rice, bread and water everyday! $100 a week comes out to about $5000 a year. Lets say $14 a day for $5k a year. You need 3 meals for $14. Breakfast you may have two eggs, 4 slices of bread, 3 bowls of cereal, a pint of milk and a glass of OJ, three pancakes with syrup, an apple, an orange, a peach, two plums. For lunch you may want four chicken quarters, a side dish of brown rice, corn, beans. Youll want fruits and veggies of your choice. Dont forget your grains and bread. Repeat for dinner. That is gonna cost easily $14 if not more. I dont eat enough and therfore am skinny. I should be eating more than that.

The electricity is going to be more than $30 a month unless you like living by candlelight and never turning the a/c on. My dad pays like $400+ a month! Dont forget water bill too! Driving insurance is probably more than $80 a month. You forgot other expenses such as cloth, shoes and brushing, shaving, soap, shampoo, etc. What about entertainment? Your life would be so boring if all you do is go to work and stare at the wall when you come home to your $650/month studio in a crime/gang invested neighboorhood.

It might be possible to live on min wage but its a very simple, boring and depressing life not to mention a dangerous one in a crime/gang invested neighboorhood. I think you should do something about it if you only made min wage. Perhaps get your GED, find a better job, relocate, etc.
You're right about the electricity and everything else, but the food part... You can easily live on $100 a month for food. My mother and I live together (long story) and we both live off of about$40 a month for food. Now we're not extreme cuponers or anything but we are smart shoppers. We would have so much extra food leftover if we spent $100 a month on food. And we both have pretty good appetites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles