Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 12:53 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,387,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
businesses hire more workers when there is demand in the market place. It has nothing to do with whether the minimum wage is $8 or $10 or $11.

I can't believe after all the evidence that people still believe in supply side economics.
If you increase the cost of something, you discourage its consumption.

I'm sure you believe this is true when you tax things you consider bad, so doesn't the same apply to labor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 02:04 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,851,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
If you increase the cost of something, you discourage its consumption.

I'm sure you believe this is true when you tax things you consider bad, so doesn't the same apply to labor?
a tax isn't the same as an increase in wages. With an increase in wages you have more workers with more buying power.

If the the minimum wage was raised to $10 would McDonalds raise their prices? Yeah. Say goodbye to the 99c value menu. A company has to evaluate how much profit they can make form the labor of each worker. So McDonalds would raise prices to keep profits at the same level they were prior to the wage increase. But that doesn't mean just because the cost of a Big Mac goes up that it would discourage customers from purchasing it. The reason is with the increase of min wages the wages of all workers has gone up and people have more money.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:02 AM

23 posts, read 32,557 times
Im with Aldous on this one. You will also find that companies may indeed take a hit on a portion of their profits as they do not want to raise prices too much, meaning overall net household wealth is increased.

We have had high wages here in Aus for decades and have managed just fine

Old 04-01-2013, 05:11 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,257,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prawn_86 View Post
Minimum wage is about $16 here in Aus, plenty of new businesses launched every year. It does go part of the way to explaining why we are such an expensive country though
yeax excatly, 16$ australian dollars with australian cos of living is more like 10-12$ in the US

Old 04-01-2013, 05:14 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,257,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The last thing LA needs is a higher minimum wage which would demolish any incentives for new businesses to be launched, or for currently existing businesses to hire more workers and/or expand.
that is so not true! employers are nothing but greedy, i mean seriously if you cant afford to pay $10 or $11 an hour to your employee then your business SUCKS and you should probably do something else. SF has 10.55 as their min wage and they have lower unemployment rates and everyone is doing fine.

Heck, even Santa Fe in new mexico has a min wage of $10 where cost of living is like 3 times lower than LA, and guess what, they're all fine.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:02 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,288,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
that is so not true! employers are nothing but greedy, i mean seriously if you cant afford to pay $10 or $11 an hour to your employee then your business SUCKS and you should probably do something else. SF has 10.55 as their min wage and they have lower unemployment rates and everyone is doing fine.

Heck, even Santa Fe in new mexico has a min wage of $10 where cost of living is like 3 times lower than LA, and guess what, they're all fine.
I agree. With current inflation rates. The minimum wage should be around $12-13 per hour. But its all wishful thinking.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:58 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,377,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
I'm bringing this thread back. This would be informative to people living off of minimum wage here.

I make around minimum wage. About $10 an hr and work 40 hours a week, take taxes away and its basically 1250 a month.

$600 to rent a room at a house.
$200 food. I mostly shop at Mexican and Asian markets. The food is at way cheaper prices than at supermarkets. I only go to fast food and restaurants a few times a week.

$150 gas. I only drive to far out locations. I use public transpo everywhere else.

That's basically $330 on other stuff. I mostly go to Coffeeshops for my entertainment/socialixing. And head to the beaches and Hollywood once a month. So $330 is decent enough to splurge on. The gas is the real dealbreaker. Around 3.80 per gallon could really take up a lot of money.

It just depends and what you make of it. You could survive on minimum wage. But it won't be the most enjoyable way to live.
Hey, you're in like the same situation as me. Didn't realize that. I make just over $10, but I'm in a job where I can move up easily. But yeah it comes out to about $1250 a month.

However I'm in a really nice area, got a really nice place, so I can't complain. I'm making enough right now.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:33 AM

1 posts, read 719 times
Where in LA are there apartments for 400/800? Or houses?^
Omg I've had no luck finding ones that cheap.
I'm currently trying to find some there, but having no luck at all and I plan to move there by this year or next.

I really want to find one soon though ;u; and move there as soon as possible.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:02 AM

174 posts, read 217,236 times
This is an old thread. When they said $600 that was 10 years ago! Housing is way more expensive now.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:13 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,607,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredRestless View Post
This is an old thread. When they said $600 that was 10 years ago! Housing is way more expensive now.
At this point, you will be hard pressed to find a room in a home for rent at $600/mo.

Cannot find apartments any less than $800/mo and thats in VERY few areas(Like older apartments near downtown Long Beach that do not have parking or The Alexandria and The Huntington downtown..again very old, very small, and no parking)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles