Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 06:22 PM

2 posts, read 42,586 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to buy a house, and mostly find ourselves relegated to "up and coming" neighborhoods. We'd love to get something in Northeast LA, and some things have popped up in our price range, but they are few and far between. We decided to think outside the box a little bit and checked out a house high in the hills of City Terrace. City Terrace is a really cool looking neighborhood, a lot of the houses have amazing views, and most things are reasonably affordable. Our realtor claimed that a lot of people are starting to move there and to surrounding areas as they get priced out of Northeast LA. We drove around the neighborhood and it felt OK (whereas places like Boyle Heights and West Adams did not). The crime rate doesn't look any worse than any of the other places we're OK with living... but it's hard to know for sure.

We found a few things online that indicated it may be an "up and coming" type of area, but not enough to feel confident about it yet. We're less concerned with cool stores/restaurants, racial makeup, and income level, and more concerned with safety. Especially since I know the area historically has had a big problem with gang activity.

Do you feel safe in City Terrace? Are gangs still a problem there, or have they largely been pushed out like they have in other areas? What's the neighborhood like these days?

I'd love to hear from people who live in the neighborhood or otherwise have first-hand knowledge of the area.

Thanks so much for any help!

Last edited by lalalalarkin; 06-22-2015 at 06:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 11:45 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
I don't know much about City Terrace, it looks like it's considered part of East Los Angeles.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are new people moving there that have been priced out of other areas. I have looked at property listings there in the past and the views do look nice.

I looked up this
East Los Angeles Crime - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

But this is kind of weird ...
"Crime statistics about East Los Angeles have been withheld because a large percentage of crime reports from the East Los Angeles station area lack addresses and therefore cannot be plotted on a map. This prevents The Times from presenting an accurate picture of what is happening in the neighborhood."

Maybe you could contact the police department , if they don't know whats going on with crime not sure who else would know.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:15 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I don't know much about City Terrace, it looks like it's considered part of East Los Angeles.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are new people moving there that have been priced out of other areas. I have looked at property listings there in the past and the views do look nice.

I looked up this
East Los Angeles Crime - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

But this is kind of weird ...
"Crime statistics about East Los Angeles have been withheld because a large percentage of crime reports from the East Los Angeles station area lack addresses and therefore cannot be plotted on a map. This prevents The Times from presenting an accurate picture of what is happening in the neighborhood."

Maybe you could contact the police department , if they don't know whats going on with crime not sure who else would know.
East LA is a high crime neighborhood, however there are clear geographic patterns to the crime there, based on where the homicides take place.

East Los Angeles: Victims in the last 12 months - Los Angeles Murders and Homicides - The Homicide Report - Los Angeles Times

Based on this map, it appears that City Terrace is one of the safer sections of East LA, as there has not been a murder there since 2013, and that the area has gotten less violent since 2010.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:03 PM

2 posts, read 42,586 times
Thanks for the insights! The homicide record link is interesting (and good to know). Maybe I'll try getting in touch with the Sheriff's station that's right below the area we're considering...

Anybody else have any experience with the area?

Old 06-24-2015, 02:54 PM

908 posts, read 1,302,670 times
City Terrace is not a good area. It may be one of the better parts of East LA but that's not saying much given East LA is high crime with a significant gang presence. Also, to put it nicely, the area is not aesthetically pleasing. And you should pretty much learn Spanish if you want to live there. If you're looking at Northeast LA, I'd look at Eagle Rock or Mount Washington. Much better areas.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:03 PM

452 posts, read 619,447 times
As long as you put up a wooden fence, all will be well.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:44 PM

94 posts, read 147,484 times
I was there 10 years ago so I don't know how it is now, but I grew up there during high school. It is a terrible place. You want safety? East LA is not the answer. Everything there is old looking and badly maintained.

If you have kids, they would have to go to Woodrow Wilson High. The school is really bad imo; looks like a prison. There were fights every week and security was non existent. The classes were over crowded, something like 45 students to a class, so forget about having individual time with teacher. Also, the school pretty much got rid of the baseball field to build bungalows for more classrooms. So if your kids are ever into sports, don't let them choose baseball. I went to a different school for my senior year and really wished my parents would have moved way sooner.

Did ever feel safe? No. I had to stay vigilant every time. I do not recommend. I suggest taking more trips there and really getting a good feel for the neighborhood and surrounding areas.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:23 PM

399 posts, read 406,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalalarkin View Post
We're less concerned with... racial makeup... and more concerned with safety.
The former has a direct effect on the latter. Drop the PC pipedream and face reality. If you want to live in Mexico then move to Mexico. At least your money will stretch farther. Don't live in a place that has all the negatives of Mexico with all the negatives of the U.S. mixed into one. City Terrace is a slum. People don't live there because they WANT to, they live there because they HAVE to. I'd rather live in a van on the beach than spend my hard-earned money buying a piece of that hellhole. Keep looking, save more, get a second or third job. Do ANYTHING to open up your options. Don't let yourself become a victim over some BS PC charade.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:07 PM

94 posts, read 147,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
The former has a direct effect on the latter. Drop the PC pipedream and face reality. If you want to live in Mexico then move to Mexico. At least your money will stretch farther. Don't live in a place that has all the negatives of Mexico with all the negatives of the U.S. mixed into one. City Terrace is a slum. People don't live there because they WANT to, they live there because they HAVE to. I'd rather live in a van on the beach than spend my hard-earned money buying a piece of that hellhole. Keep looking, save more, get a second or third job. Do ANYTHING to open up your options. Don't let yourself become a victim over some BS PC charade.
So true. You can also move to another state OP where your money will buy you more, better, bigger house. You have options OP.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:34 AM

263 posts, read 757,214 times
No!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles