Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:56 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,414,573 times

Advertisements

Pico Rivera used to be Pico and Rivera, two separate railroad towns until 1958.

Community History in Words and Pictures: Pico Rivera
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 03:10 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,621,109 times
some parts are bad and some parts are nice. it just depends on where you live. but these places are by no means 105th and budlong or nickerson. i would classify these areas as blue collar. not ghetto at all. south gate is not ghetto. some parts might be ruff, but for the most part they are soft. a bunch of softies. i think the only murders in SG last year were domestic related. maybe a couple other killings, but even then i dont think it was un-affiliated folk. im sure you made it out of there fine.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:55 PM

8 posts, read 40,095 times
Dont know much about Pico Rivera but When I lived South Gate we lived in a gang ridden area it was terrible.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:06 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,242,287 times
Right, as one poster said, the bad areas in So. Cal. / LA are subtle in their "badness." They don't look like burn-out tenements in the South Bronx or some dilapidated sections of older East Coast cities. However, they can be just about as dangerous if you don't watch yourself. I haven't lived in LA for years, but I know that that weird "no mans land" (because the 405/5/10 don't involve them in a big way) which picks up South Gate/Bell/Cudahy/Pico Rivera was generally bleak and not places one "aspires" to.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:40 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,354,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
Do you think Pico Rivera and Southgate are rough or nice areas. Let me know what you think.

Pico Rivera is only as ghetto as the people who live there make it.

Ghetto is not a derogatory word, it has positive connotations also.

Is it an area which is predominantly of one ethnic group?

Yes

Does gang activity define an area as being ghetto?

Yes

Is there gang activity in Pico Rivera...

Yes

Does that answer your question?

Yes

So it's a ghetto.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:57 AM

100 posts, read 541,267 times
They both are ghetto... lots of gang activity and both are mainly lower income.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:23 PM

938 posts, read 4,080,368 times
Both are Mexican-majority dumps, with Pico Rivera being the better of the 2.

I remember living in Whittier and once I needed to get something, but the store in Whittier was out of it, so we went to P.R. Needless to say once you cross the 605, your in a different world.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:39 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,621,109 times
theyre nice. for a specific demographic. if you white, then you might as well stay away. you might not like it. a lot of losangeles is brown and some equate that with "getto". its not everyones cup of tea. these are working class, blue collar neighbor hoods. each has its own vibe, its own long history, but none of them are warzones. they are sleepy lil towns on the fringe of LA. they are close in characterstic but not in location. grouping these cities is worthless. you might as well compare south gate to inglewood. because the type of colored folk that moved in are similar. pico, whitier and montbello found a lot of east los transplants. south gate was more immigrant, south american particularly. a lot of east los jus moved east, first to montbello then to whittier and further east out to pomona. thru these demographic shifts some spots fared well while others didnt. its like anywhere. you have good parts, you have bad parts. south gatefor the most part stayed nice. most people will be fine in these areas. these communities exist as a workin class sleepy town after 9 pm. not much excitement. as a town they aint really getto, but in SG the closer to watts the worse. just like HP, the closer to florence the worse. otherwise these areas aint getto, just workin class.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:19 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,683,410 times
not the greatest areas, but not the worst. would i want to raise my family there? naw.. but i've worked in the area in day and night and feel comfortable enough to go around as long as i mind my business and dont drive too deeply into some of the less savory neighborhoods.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,471 times
how ghetto is it well let me tell you when you drive in this city almost every home is OWNER OCCUpied here, As in any City the gangs will be there!! El MOnte, montebello, LA, Echo Park, what is ghetto have any of you ever lived in the Ghetto !! If not then you do not know what you are talking about! As for you the one that said the people were low income I laugh at your face !! Are the white collar workers the only ine who can make money??? I do not agree with anyone of these thoughts!1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles