Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 02:53 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Good advice. Cost of living in California is high but its mostly real estate wise, the guy is young and might not might living with roommates. I loved in college living with my best friends in a house. If he can get into a comm college save up money and establish residency he will be set.
Even in Westwood, he'd pay $500-700 and that's to share a room with someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 04:09 PM

631 posts, read 748,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
the wife of one of my friend's is an adjunct at Pierce or another junior college and she said that many classes are Impacted with waiting lists, so it's really hard for kids to get the courses & credits needed to transfer to 4-year universities. That's why you see students staying an extra yr or even dropping out in frustration without completing their associates degree.
I can definitely confirm this to be true, however this has gotten much better as they continue to increase the cost per unit to nearly the same level as a california state university, but not quite as high. This keeps the "welfare tuition" folk away from more classes as well. Welfare tuition folk are people who openly admit to you if you ask them what they are trying to do at the school, they just tell you "I just keep taking random classes for the free money so I don't have to work at all. The state pays me more than enough for monthly rent and food, so I just keep going here." After the last rate increase, the time you would have to register before classes started (to avoid getting stuck at the back of the line on a waiting list) was much longer than before.

On the flip-side, if you are willing to fight, A LOT, by personally speaking with a professor on a day-to-day basis while class is in session, EVERYDAY, for the first 2 weeks, you can STILL get in the class because a few more people usually drop out by that point and you have a shot of getting in anyways. I did this for a Algebra and Geography class, I got in after a few days then had to play catch-up, but it all worked out in the end.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:10 PM

755 posts, read 674,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
OP, to save money, I suggest going to a California community college first to establish residency, then transfer. You'll have to pay out-of-state fees for community, but it won't be nearly as expensive as a four-year institution. You just need to be able to afford rent for a place to stay and get a job.
That's exactly what I did. Moved from Michigan, went to Community College and transferred to UCLA.......

Roommates, roommates, and roommates. You will be fine.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
I can definitely confirm this to be true, however this has gotten much better as they continue to increase the cost per unit to nearly the same level as a california state university, but not quite because this keeps the "welfare tuition" folk away from more classes. Welfare tuition folk are people who openly admit to you if you ask them what they are trying to do at the school, they just tell you "I just keep taking random classes for the free money so I don't have to work at all. The state pays me more than enough for monthly rent and food, so I just keep going here." After the last rate increase, the time you would have to register before classes started (to avoid getting stuck at the back of the line on a waiting list) was much longer than before.

On the flip-side, if you are willing to fight, A LOT, by personally speaking with a professor on a day-to-day basis while class is in session, EVERYDAY, for the first 2 weeks, you can STILL get in the class because a few more people usually drop out by that point and you have a shot of getting in anyways. I did this for an Algebra and Geography class, I got in after a few days then had to play catch-up, but it all worked out in the end.
Very true about the wait list info, but aren't a lot of classes offered online?

Side Note: Makes sure all of your classes are UC transferable.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
Very true about the wait list info, but aren't a lot of classes offered online?

Side Note: Makes sure all of your classes are UC transferable.
From my personal experience, online classes which primarily use Blackboard now, are frequently "hybrid online" classes where you still have to attend, but everything is turned in online. For the "pure online" classes, you typically just don't do as well as you would if you had taken the class where you are continually notified on a personal level of homework, tests, and exams on a regular basis and you can ask questions. For math classes especially where the work can get complicated, online classes just don't seem to be a great idea. Still, you can fix that with the tutoring center, but at that point it's almost the same amount of time being spent to do the homework/classwork, what's the point.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
From my personal experience, online classes which primarily use Blackboard now, are frequently "hybrid online" classes where you still have to attend, but everything is turned in online. For the "pure online" classes, you typically just don't do as well as you would if you had taken the class where you are continually notified on a personal level of homework, tests, and exams on a regular basis and you can ask questions. For math classes especially where the work can get complicated, online classes just don't seem to be a great idea. Still, you can fix that with the tutoring center, but at that point it's almost the same amount of time being spent to do the homework/classwork, what's the point.
Totally agree. I had to take two 1 credit online courses for my teaching cert and I didn't like it at all, for the reasons you mentioned.

CC is tough when it comes to getting the classes that count, so the OP might have to spend 3 years at a CC.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
Totally agree. I had to take two 1 credit online courses for my teaching cert and I didn't like it at all, for the reasons you mentioned.

CC is tough when it comes to getting the classes that count, so the OP might have to spend 3 years at a CC.
(5 years, 5 explored majors later...) I know something about trying to figure out what the hell you want to do for the rest of your life! I would never recommend anyone going directly to a university especially because you don't truly know what you want to do until you actually try doing it. I burned through my own money while working a job to explore the options, now I get to play the scholarship/grant game and enjoy university time as a junior. Wouldn't have done it any other way

Last edited by znlwovuhrjw; 07-02-2015 at 04:37 PM..

Old 07-02-2015, 04:55 PM

19 posts, read 35,248 times
Los Angeles Community College is a lot cheaper.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:04 PM

9 posts, read 12,230 times
So what I am hearing is that I should move to California and go to LACC, obtain residency, and then transfer to UCLA. Seems like a better plan than what mine originally was. Thanks guys!

Old 07-02-2015, 05:31 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,134,444 times
Not necessarily Los Angeles Community College or a CC in the Los Angeles Community College system but residence somewhere in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles