Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 02:50 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post

So you live your life comparing yourself to others?
No need for the snarky comment.

Truth be told, we all do to some degree (even though we don't admit it). And when the rich/upper middle class outbids you for even the most basic housing, your quality of life goes down, and that certainly affects your level of happiness. Psychologists have found that people who live in areas where their income is the same or higher than average are happier than those whose incomes are below average....so moving to an area where a 60K income gets you a decent apt. of your own, still allows for savings, and puts your income above average would obviously be a boost to most people's happiness. Granted, the income might dip in a lower cost area, but often the lower income still goes further in cheaper areas.

It does sound like the OP took out way too much in student loan debt, and possible spend too much on a car as well...but the student loan debt is water under the bridge. It might be worth it to sell the car, though, and get a used car instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 03:21 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
My only wish would be that commercial companies should not be able to flip housing. That will NEVER happen. Speculation drives up housing, especially in smaller cities. In terms of housing, it's sad that housing is more an investment than a necessity. This is not a popular opinion, and I don't care.
What do you mean by commercial companies? Most people that are flipping homes are actually relatively small operations/businesses rather than huge corporations.
Big companies don't typically play in the home flipping game. Some big hedge funds did buy up a lot of houses during the crash , but they rented them out rather than flipping them.

What drives up prices is people that are willing to pay a certain price for housing. Nobody is forced to buy a 2bedroom shack for 700k.

Even without flippers housing would still go up in price.

Also I'm not sure what you mean by 'speculation drives up housing, especially in smaller cities" do you mean small cities in the L.A county area? or elsewhere?

Housing is a necessity , but we also have private property rights.
I think overall we are better with private property rights.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:32 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
As Mr Ron Paul said, it's not oil prices getting higher, it's dollar getting weaker and weaker. And land is called "real estate" for good reason.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:45 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah I remember before people talking about how people were moving to places like Portland and Austin from L.A..but I hear less of that now...probably because prices have gone up there considerably. Denver seems to have some really crazy housing prices now too.

I would probably look at cities that don't have as much hype around them now, but could possibly turn into an Austin or Portland.

Pittsburgh seems to have this combination of affordability , but also a diverse economy and culture.
This is an interesting article about Pittsburgh.
What Millennials Love About Pittsburgh - The Atlantic

It would probably be more an option for people that already live on the East Coast though versus many people from L.A

I did go there a couple years ago because I wanted to check it out.

Lack of diversity and weather though were two big downsides.
With my currently set in Michigan, I have PA in second place behind CA. But it's in a distant second place because I'm so damn tired, I mean, just damn tired of sub-zero temperatures and winter. So, Philly and Pittsburgh are out. I'm heading West.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
With my currently set in Michigan, I have PA in second place behind CA. But it's in a distant second place because I'm so damn tired, I mean, just damn tired of sub-zero temperatures and winter. So, Philly and Pittsburgh are out. I'm heading West.
Yeah, enjoy heat above 100F.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:02 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
I tolerate 105F in my bikram yoga class with no problemo.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:41 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
It's 70 degrees in LA at 7:30pm, it's a 105 in Phoenix at the same time, maybe you're getting the two mixed up?

LA gets a few triple digit days usually in Aug/Sept, but they don't last.

And still cools down at night.

Maybe you're thinking Palm Springs?

Old 07-07-2015, 08:45 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
Leaving Los Angeles - Los Angeles Magazine

There was a good article about this in LA magazine (people leaving LA due to the high cost of living)...
That really is a depressing article. Starting out in one's late 20s here and going on to do that well so young in life, it would be particularly devastating to endure what this couple did. Especially if this is not where you grew up and you have no other ties to this city.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It's 70 degrees in LA at 7:30pm, it's a 105 in Phoenix at the same time, maybe you're getting the two mixed up?

LA gets a few triple digit days usually in Aug/Sept, but they don't last.

And still cools down at night.

Maybe you're thinking Palm Springs?
LA is big, I lived in SFV. It's tripple digits every day in summer.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:37 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
"Here's the troubling equation: As my house soars in market value, my daughter gets incrementally poorer and priced out of the town she grew up in.

No different really in Chicago or New York ... or even podunk places like Denver and Atlanta."

Two angels: One a city, the other a daughter - LA Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles