Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 03:54 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Much to the joy of revelers, fireworks light up the night sky every Fourth of July.

Animals are less enthusiastic.

About 120 animals came through the Wetlands and Wildlife Care Center in Huntington Beach’s doors over the three-day weekend, said Debbie McGuire, executive director.

They included a frightened peregrine falcon that flew into a window in Newport Coast and a black-crowned night heron chick that, because of fireworks, fell from its nest in Sunset Beach.

A gray fox, believed to have been scared by fireworks in Portola Hills, was brought in by Orange County Animal Control on Sunday night.

X-rays showed the fox had suffered leg fractures and other injuries.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...f-july-weekend
Our two GSDs kept running around the yard with their glow-in-the-dark ball watching the fireworks with us. Not all animals are the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 06:18 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,306,314 times
Fireworks that shoot into the air or explode like the ones most people complain about on Nextdoor are already officially banned anywhere in California. Many of those high powered bootlegblack market stuff made underground or smuggled from Mexico are likely also federally banned as well or illegal in most all states of the union. Or professional display fireworks that end up on civilian's hands through underground markets. Thus additional banning/legislation wont do a thing about it. Its like additional gun control laws would not eliminate the black market of guns as well as the street drug market.

Though the culture of overregulation and how it appears everything that is not required seems illegal these days seems to fuel this blackmarket in CA particularly in cities and counties that ban all consumer fireworks stands outright even in areas where wildfires are a non issue Ie around the rocky coastal areas with 100% humidity in July. I.e Manhatton Beach, El Segundo, Culver City, Beverly Hills, coastal LA, coastal Los Angeles proper, Despite consumer fireworks being already heavily regulated by the state. Banning them only serves to hurt the non profits benefiting from them as well as drive the massive underground black market of bootleg dangerous high powered fireworks. The ones driving the most complains and set off car alarms and send people to the emergency room.

Sorry more bans are not the answer as those fireworks causing problems and complaints are already illegal in CA and likely most other states in the union as well as federally. COVID19 and its leading to those in power arbitrarily ruling by decree and changing their mind every few minutes making everything thing illegal at a whelm also triggered the reason why people are blowing black market illicit fireworks for no reason year round not just during traditional holiday periods.

Interesting I was in Calavarous county last Fourth of July. Despite being heavily wooded in the mountains they stated this years fireworks stand/burn ban is unprecedented meaning they normally allow state authorized fireworks stands. It appears due to the nature they only banned as a last result and unlike places that ban all fireworks except display at all times the Public surprisingly compliant this year, not a boom could be heard. Calavarous county and Angels camp’s emergency fireworks moratorium equally includes all Public display fireworks as well. Also I been to other areas allowing fireworks stands during Fourth of July. And I hear much less supersonic booms of the illegal kind than in cities around the state that ban all fireworks outright permanently.

While some people would not like to hear this but to resolve the problem CA really should follow AZ for the approach to consumer fireworks prohibiting local governments from arbitrarily banning state sanctioned/safety regulated fireworks stands except in areas where the state has declared an extreme fire danger zone that particular year. This is the only way to combat the issue of dangerous illegal fireworks black market. In other words we will need to fight fire with fire.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 07-09-2021 at 07:02 PM..

Old 07-09-2021, 06:31 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Our two GSDs kept running around the yard with their glow-in-the-dark ball watching the fireworks with us. Not all animals are the same.
And if it doesn't affect you, why should it bother anyone else?

Old 07-09-2021, 07:38 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
And if it doesn't affect you, why should it bother anyone else?
So because it bothers you they need to be outlawed? You'll never be able to appease everybody. Lucky for you firework popping is about two times a year out of 365 days (give or take a few days during the buying time).

Old 07-09-2021, 08:02 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
I lived in So Cal for 25 years. I heard fireworks, watched the displays and set them off as well. This thread and some of the commenters on here are hilarious. The biggest problem we had when I lived in Cali (and I am sure it hasn't changed much) was people blasting off guns into the air on the 4th and New Year's Eve. We had to park under overpasses if we were out and about around midnight for that very reason on New Year's. Now all I see is people crying about...fireworks. LOL. The state is in shambles, people are leaving in droves, homelessness if out of control, crime is on the rise again, taxes are through the roof, and homes are unaffordable. Yet people are going to talk about leaving the state because of FIREWORKS, and go to public meetings about FIREWORKS. Wonder if the same people are at the public meetings when there are concerns over homeless encampments, gang violence, etc. Probably not. There are more important things you can control than those things...like some kid with a few bottle rockets. Unreal.
No that has changed a lot. It no longer sounds like the battle of Beirut with automatic weapons on those holiday nights. On the other hand since the George Floyd riots you hear the bigger booms nightly from the low grade explosive noise makers

Old 07-09-2021, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
So because it bothers you they need to be outlawed? You'll never be able to appease everybody. Lucky for you firework popping is about two times a year out of 365 days (give or take a few days during the buying time).
Typical of you to twist people's words and make the issue all about you.

Old 07-10-2021, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaela-ATL View Post
The problem isn't legal fireworks, that are being sold in select cities, but the illegal ones, that are brought in from Nevada, Mexico and China.

I'm in San Pedro and I will be moving out of the L.A. area due to this. Sounds trivial, but last year (my first year here) it started in June and stopped end of July and I swore that I'd leave town before the following year.

Somehow I'm still here and this year it started middle of May. Every damn night. Huge bombs at any random times in the late afternoon all through the night. It will only get worse, because those that supply will make sure that there's always something available. It'll go to August and that means next year it'll probably start beginning of may and go to end of August.

The booms are louder this year, because the explosives supposedly come from China and somehow fall off the boat, before they hit the port/customs etc. And that's why the South Bay area is worse than the rest of L.A. So many people here are working at the port and they all cover for each other.

Last year New Years Eve wasn't so bad, but I assume that was because there was a strike and so many boats were idling in the ports for weeks, that the product didn't arrive.

Haven't had a good nights sleep in almost 2 months and my dog is such a nervous wreck, he no longer wants to go home, when we take a walk. I have to take him in a car and walk him somewhere else, otherwise he will sit down and not walk towards the house, because he thinks of it as a house of horror, because of the constant booms. He's too heavy for me to carry him.
True I guess this can be compared to tightening*up gun control which would not curb the underground gun market in CA and elsewhere. . CA already has very tight gun control. However the massive black market for guns is well developed and pretty much unmanageable in CA regardless of penalties. It will not have prevented any more gun deaths nor mass shootings. Though every time that happens legislators make kneejerk*emergency legislation to look like they are doing something.One comparison is the firing of weapons in built up areas, including celebratory firing of weapons up the air seems universally*a*crime not only in California but even in gun friendly states but that doesn't stop it from happening all too often.
The other guy say one can buy everything in Alhambra which is not true. Maybe in the underground market that might exist there but not at state approved fireworks stands. Though I believe most of the underground markets where those loud booms were sold are in large cities like Los Angeles with large numbers of the "hoods" with strong connections to Mexico and overseas and forbids state legal fireworks stands outright. Its the same in San Francisco as well where there is a Chinatown. More bans would not help under these circumstances. Though its CA and legislative lunacy is fairly common as now they say the Sierra Club is banning display fireworks as well regardless of. I can imagine how that works well.*Interestingly I noticed cities that allow state legally regulated fireworks to be sold seems considerably quieter on the first week of July compared to those who ban everything outright, in terms of illegal high powered fireworks/explosive use.
I was up in the Sierras recently, in a county where they allow state legal fireworks to be sold there except during burn bans, I was surprised to not hear a single bang from an illegal firework throughout the weekend despite staying in a neighborhood with many summer homes. I also notice cities in LA area that allow state approved stands seems to be quieter as well. Though alas politicians would never learn that overregulation or banning everything doesn't create a zero incident utopia in their fantasy world. Instead arbitrarily restrictions only results in loss of public respect of officials. The COVID year and how it lead to officials in different areas ruling by decree and arbitrarily setting restrictions based on how they interpret it couldn't explain this better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Police have better things to do
Fire related enforcement is primarily*the responsibility*of the fire martial not the police department. Just as with fire code violations in buildings are not handled by the police.Health Code violations are handled by the heath department.*

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 07-10-2021 at 06:52 AM..

Old 07-14-2021, 06:17 PM

July 4th fireworks caused worst air quality in Southern California since Bobcat Fire, SCAQMD says:

https://abc7.com/air-quality-firewor...-day/10887231/

Old 07-15-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
July 4th fireworks caused worst air quality in Southern California since Bobcat Fire, SCAQMD says:

https://abc7.com/air-quality-firewor...-day/10887231/
I guess thats why I saw another post that the Sierra Club wants to ban fireworks and fireworks shows completely regardless of who or what agency is doing it whether its a public agency or private. I am assuming massive fireworks shows would be history for future Olympics events as there is international pressure for host countries look "green." I remember back in last November Japan had to launch all their fireworks shows they planned for the olympics from last year as they have a shelf life and could not last until July of 2021. I be curious whether they replenished the fireworks for this year for July 23 or they probably didn't as there is still so much uncertainty beginning of this year whether the pandemic would cancel the games again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles