Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 12:49 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,297,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with how overworked we are here on the West Coast too, in order to pay for the high cost of living. People who work a lot generally just want to veg out during their free time. Going to the club isn't appealing after a 12 hour shift unless you are super Type A and have tons of energy.

And there is a Puritanism that's more prominent here than in other parts of the country, despite the fact we tend to be less religious.
This. Although there certainly were some rather wild early pioneers many were not-unlike religious utopians who founded places like PA and MD. There were some real teetotalers, and folks who looked down on drinking, dancing, nightlife, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 12:54 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,774,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
This. Although there certainly were some rather wild early pioneers many were not-unlike religious utopians who founded places like PA and MD. There were some real teetotalers, and folks who looked down on drinking, dancing, nightlife, etc.
I felt like Massachusetts was a hundred times more puritanical than Los Angeles. They still have some very arcane alcohol laws.

California is definitely one of the few states in which at 1:30 AM you can pop into a gas station to buy a six pack. Or head to CVS for a bottle of vodka at 12:30 AM.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:58 PM

3,750 posts, read 4,932,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I felt like Massachusetts was a hundred times more puritanical than Los Angeles. They still have some very arcane alcohol laws.

California is definitely one of the few states in which at 1:30 AM you can pop into a gas station to buy a six pack. Or head to CVS for a bottle of vodka at 12:30 AM.
I was surprised to see a Walgreens in California selling Grey Goose (here in Oregon, I've never seen anything more potent than sake in a grocery or drug store), but I think that's telling of the fact that most people on the West Coast would rather drink alone or in the privacy of their homes with friends, rather than go out on the town. People are cliqueish here and there's not a strong tradition of community, neighborliness, or going out of your way to make someone feel comfortable in your presence. Which explains why West Coast people generally don't dress very nicely and are standoffish and judgmental towards people who try to make small talk or ask for help. It's very much a me-centric, figure out everything on your own type, screw what anyone else thinks type of culture here.

But yeah, New England is probably the only other place in the country that is as anal about having fun as the West Coast. I think New England and the western US are quite similar socially in a lot of ways, being the least religious and most socially liberal parts of the country, but also having a strong spirit of being hyper-individualistic, workaholic and misanthropic.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I was surprised to see a Walgreens in California selling Grey Goose (here in Oregon, I've never seen anything more potent than sake in a grocery or drug store), but I think that's telling of the fact that most people on the West Coast would rather drink alone or in the privacy of their homes with friends, rather than go out on the town. People are cliqueish here and there's not a strong tradition of community, neighborliness, or going out of your way to make someone feel comfortable in your presence. Which explains why West Coast people generally don't dress very nicely and are standoffish and judgmental towards people who try to make small talk.

But yeah, New England is probably the only other place in the country that is as anal about having fun as the West Coast. I think New England and the western US are quite similar socially in a lot of ways, being the least religious and most socially liberal parts of the country, but also having a strong spirit of being hyper-individualistic, workaholic and misanthropic.
This is not my experience with Californians at all.

I guess maybe we prefer drinking with friends in the comfort of our home over clubs and bars, but other than that I feel like this is 100 percent wrong. People categorize Californians as "fake" because we are so friendly to outsiders. I've never heard people categorize Californians as standoffish, except maybe the snobbiest parts of San Francisco and the Westside.

And we don't dress very nice? I guess it's more casual but I feel like Los Angeles is obnoxiously fashionable.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:04 PM

3,750 posts, read 4,932,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
This is not my experience with Californians at all.

I guess maybe we prefer drinking with friends in the comfort of our home over clubs and bars, but other than that I feel like this is 100 percent wrong. People categorize Californians as "fake" because we are so friendly to outsiders.

And we don't dress very nice? I guess it's more casual but I feel like Los Angeles is obnoxiously fashionable.
It kinda depends where. People in California dress more nicely than people in Oregon and Washington do, for sure.

Californians aren't really stereotyped for being friendly, but rather for being "polite" but having little to show for it. I find on the West Coast that even basic politeness is not a given and that non-tipped customer service people tend to be rude, judgmental and unhelpful to their clients. Again I think a lot of it has to do with how over-worked people are here.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:04 PM

452 posts, read 616,262 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? That public school CA education really shines through on this board.

Almost every state is 2 AM, with the ranges being 1 AM to 4 AM depending on municipal factors. And of course, 24 hr Nevada.

Liquor Laws by State | Legal Beer

Old 07-16-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
What are you talking about? That public school CA education really shines through on this board.

Almost every state is 2 AM, with the ranges being 1 AM to 4 AM depending on municipal factors. And of course, 24 hr Nevada.

Liquor Laws by State | Legal Beer
I've never once gone to a public school actually. So congrats on your excellent insult you sad little man.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I find on the West Coast that even basic politeness is not a given and that non-tipped customer service people tend to be rude, judgmental and unhelpful to their clients.
I take it you're from Minnesota, as is most of my family. I find the Midwest to be much more friendly, although it's not Mayberry. Someone will always stop and help to change a flat tire, but don't count on a fresh baked pie when you move in to the neighborhood.

And I find middle and lower class CA to be very unfashionable. Basically Forever 21, or died hair freak status, or pajama pants in the wrong places. In the Midwest, people are very fashion and mall conscious. It's all about the latest shirt and pants at The Buckle or Von Maur. Upper crust L.A. is fashionable, but they up the wazoo for private clothing retailers on the Westside. Waste of cash I say, as all clothes are made for $0.05 an hour by minors in Malaysia.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I've never once gone to a public school actually. So congrats on your excellent insult you sad little man.
Even worse then, both you and your parents created epic failure. Ignorance is bliss.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
Even worse then, both you and your parents created epic failure. Ignorance is bliss.
I slightly overstated CA's liquor laws and now I am an epic failure?

Who's the one that cannot even afford to live in worst part of Southern California? Not I!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles