U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-18-2015, 01:47 PM
 
1,653 posts, read 1,617,652 times
Reputation: 3502

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR2015 View Post
HyperionGap - good examples, and the list of elite programs probably doesn't go much further than that. I assume that the OP does not have a graduate degree, is not in a high paying industry, and has not been out of school for that long (work experience >> degrees after a few years). If he was top notch in a high paying field, I assume he would be making enough to afford $2-3k mortgage/rent.

Those who are not in higher paying industries and have the ability to relocate but choose to not do so (maybe they were born here or have other attachments) are simply paying a premium to live in LA. Give the OP credit for going back home where he can actually have a higher standard of living.
You really show regionalism in your ignorance of Midwest schools and programs. University of Chicago, Northwestern, Washington University, University of Illinois, University of Wisconsin, Notre Dame, the University of Michigan and Purdue all have programs which compete with, and perhaps in certain areas, beat both coasts. Having grown up in, and having a fondness for, California, I am often embarassed by the fact that many Californians choose to focus only on California, and not look beyond the desert ( being extremely unaware of other parts of the country and what they have to offer ). I am now in Chicago, and live in a place that I feel has something to offer for every income level, albeit not as affordable as some places. The difference is the entry level of housing is lower than in California, even though some suburbs have as a norm a miilion dollars for a house, some have as a norm 250,000 with good schools and decent housing. For me the weather is way overrated in California, hot sameness of days every day, June gloom and May grey, don't get me as excited as a thunder or snow storm. Its just me. But my everyday life here I feel is much better, even with a successful job and the ability to move back seamlessly in a nice area of CA if I wanted.

I do agree with you that the OP should leave, and be able to live a decent life on what income he is making.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 07-18-2015, 02:23 PM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 11,593,390 times
Reputation: 6647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I do agree with you that the OP should leave, and be able to live a decent life on what income he is making.
But for some reason he is still here.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-18-2015, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Playa Del Rey
180 posts, read 169,783 times
Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
You really show regionalism in your ignorance of Midwest schools and programs. University of Chicago, Northwestern, Washington University, University of Illinois, University of Wisconsin, Notre Dame, the University of Michigan and Purdue all have programs which compete with, and perhaps in certain areas, beat both coasts. Having grown up in, and having a fondness for, California, I am often embarassed by the fact that many Californians choose to focus only on California, and not look beyond the desert ( being extremely unaware of other parts of the country and what they have to offer ). I am now in Chicago, and live in a place that I feel has something to offer for every income level, albeit not as affordable as some places. The difference is the entry level of housing is lower than in California, even though some suburbs have as a norm a miilion dollars for a house, some have as a norm 250,000 with good schools and decent housing. For me the weather is way overrated in California, hot sameness of days every day, June gloom and May grey, don't get me as excited as a thunder or snow storm. Its just me. But my everyday life here I feel is much better, even with a successful job and the ability to move back seamlessly in a nice area of CA if I wanted.

I do agree with you that the OP should leave, and be able to live a decent life on what income he is making.
Justabystander - I have spent years on both coasts as well as the south. Yes, I have been to some cities in the Midwest before and have also traveled outside the US (where you get a different perspective of which universities are well-known on world level). I never said the Midwest didn't have a few good or even great schools; I merely distinguished between great and elite, which I define as top 10 on a school level rather than on some random program.

Let's take this year's US News rankings (criticism with rankings aside, true positioning typically don't move more than a few spots between the years, so let's set the cutoff at 15 because schools lower than that have probably never been considered top ten before).

National University | Rankings | Data | US News
1) Princeton
2) Harvard
3) Yale
4) Columbia
4) Stanford
4) Chicago - **Midwest**
7) MIT
8) Duke
8) Upenn
10) Caltech
11) Dartmouth
12) John Hopkins
13) Northwestern - **Midwest**, near bottom of list
14) WUSTL - **Midwest**, near bottom of list
15) Cornell

CWUR 2015 | Top 1000 Universities
CWUR 2015 | Top Universities in the USA
Top 15 US Universities in the world ranking: *
1 Harvard University
2 Stanford University
3 Massachusetts Institute of Technology
6 Columbia University
7 University of California, Berkeley
8 University of Chicago - **Midwest**
9 Princeton University
10 Cornell University
11 Yale University
12 California Institute of Technology
14 University of Pennsylvania
15 University of California, Los Angeles
16 Johns Hopkins University
18 New York University
19 University of Michigan, Ann Arbor - **Midwest**, near bottom of list


It is clear that only U of Chicago is consistently considered a top school. The other schools you mentioned may be known (some moreso for sports) but are not where the majority of the most talented students go. Blunt, I know, but true.

My previous comment was more of a quick jab to bring 909er back to earth: "Funny thing is, this state didn't have the talent to employ anyone in my field. They had to recruit me and pay a handsome sum to do it, and it was because of my superior Midwest education. You know, those school systems that always rank at the top nationally. Anyway, I guess that ended up being the Achilles heel of the whole thing."
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-18-2015, 03:36 PM
 
Location: OC/LA
3,831 posts, read 4,071,574 times
Reputation: 2214
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR2015 View Post
National University | Rankings | Data | US News
1) Princeton
2) Harvard
3) Yale
4) Columbia
4) Stanford - California
4) Chicago
7) MIT
8) Duke
8) Upenn
10) Caltech - California
11) Dartmouth
12) John Hopkins
13) Northwestern
14) WUSTL
15) Cornell
And how many schools on that list are in CA? Two.

One of them is really only viable if you're going for a STEM degree.

I fail to see your point original point that somehow the westcoast has significantly superior schools compared to the midwest.

Remember your original post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR2015 View Post
I hate to be blunt with saying this, but there are no elite schools in the Midwest. There are good schools and even some great ones, but the cream of the crop schools (either by ranking or job prospects) are found on the two coasts.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-18-2015, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Playa Del Rey
180 posts, read 169,783 times
Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
And how many schools on that list are in CA? Two.

One of them is really only viable if you're going for a STEM degree.

I fail to see your point original point that somehow the westcoast has significantly superior schools compared to the midwest.

Remember your original post?
What was my point? My point was the Midwest has little claim to share of the very best schools relative to the two coasts. From a reputation standpoint, most people would put Stanford and Caltech at the top of the list. Yes, it looks like I was wrong about there being zero elite schools in the Midwest, there is actually one in Chicago (which the OP did not attend).

Top Public Schools | Rankings | Top National Universities | US News
California dominates the Midwest when we're talking about top public universities:

#1 University of California—​Berkeley*----- California-----
#2Tie University of California—​Los Angeles**----- California-----
#2Tie University of Virginia*
#4 University of Michigan—​Ann Arbor* ----- Midwest ------
#5 University of North Carolina—​Chapel Hill*
#6 College of William and Mary*
#7 Georgia Institute of Technology*
#8 University of California—​San Diego**----- California-----
#9 University of California—​Davis**----- California-----
#10 University of California—​Santa Barbara**----- California-----
#11Tie University of California—​Irvine**----- California-----
#11Tie University of Illinois—​Urbana-​Champaign* ----- Midwest ------
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-18-2015, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Playa Del Rey
180 posts, read 169,783 times
Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR2015 View Post
What was my point? My point was the Midwest has little claim to share of the very best schools relative to the two coasts. From a reputation standpoint, most people would put Stanford and Caltech at the top of the list. Yes, it looks like I was wrong about there being zero elite schools in the Midwest, there is actually one in Chicago (which the OP did not attend).

Top Public Schools | Rankings | Top National Universities | US News
California dominates the Midwest when we're talking about top public universities:

#1 University of California—​Berkeley*----- California-----
#2Tie University of California—​Los Angeles**----- California-----
#2Tie University of Virginia*
#4 University of Michigan—​Ann Arbor* ----- Midwest ------
#5 University of North Carolina—​Chapel Hill*
#6 College of William and Mary*
#7 Georgia Institute of Technology*
#8 University of California—​San Diego**----- California-----
#9 University of California—​Davis**----- California-----
#10 University of California—​Santa Barbara**----- California-----
#11Tie University of California—​Irvine**----- California-----
#11Tie University of Illinois—​Urbana-​Champaign* ----- Midwest ------

HyperionGap, if we want to take this discussion about top education centers a step further and look at where the new wealth in this country is being created (Where is the Midwest presence?):

The 100 U.S. Cities Where Businesses Received the Most VC Funding
America
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-18-2015, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
10,087 posts, read 14,020,513 times
Reputation: 4018
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Why gross?
Have you ever driven past that literal sh+t show? It singlehandedly made my wife vegan for a few years.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-18-2015, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
10,087 posts, read 14,020,513 times
Reputation: 4018
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR2015 View Post
My previous comment was more of a quick jab to bring 909er back to earth: "Funny thing is, this state didn't have the talent to employ anyone in my field. They had to recruit me and pay a handsome sum to do it, and it was because of my superior Midwest education. You know, those school systems that always rank at the top nationally. Anyway, I guess that ended up being the Achilles heel of the whole thing."
I think the point of the whole thing is that the last sentence is an idiotic and most likely 100 percent incorrect statement. There are great schools across the country.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-18-2015, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Southridge
452 posts, read 524,570 times
Reputation: 429
Harris Ranch??? Are you F'ING kidding me? Im not even going to debate you anymore, you're ignorant. Again, no restaurant serves that crap. They all serve Midwest, ask the manager next time you go.

And public CA universities are overcrowded garbage. Only chinos go there. Anyone worth their salt goes private, and the Midwest dominates private. As well as the east, I'll throw them a bone.

If CA universities were so good, they would fix this state. Or be able to amply employ their graduates. Instead they import, then don't pay, so all the talent leaves when they wise up.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-18-2015, 07:04 PM
 
Location: La La Land
1,616 posts, read 2,184,286 times
Reputation: 2831
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
Harris Ranch??? Are you F'ING kidding me? Im not even going to debate you anymore, you're ignorant. Again, no restaurant serves that crap. They all serve Midwest, ask the manager next time you go.

And public CA universities are overcrowded garbage. Only chinos go there. Anyone worth their salt goes private, and the Midwest dominates private. As well as the east, I'll throw them a bone.

If CA universities were so good, they would fix this state. Or be able to amply employ their graduates. Instead they import, then don't pay, so all the talent leaves when they wise up.
I may be. I'm also employed, getting ready to retire, and will have enough of a pension to live comfortably in Los Angeles by choice. Might even go bat$hit crazy and take a few classes at UCLA or USC.




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVzvRsl4rEM
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top