Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 08:39 AM

452 posts, read 619,917 times

Advertisements

You got all these crazy rent increases, it's just ridiculous. Look for a 3/2 house on craigslist...you wont find anything in any kind of family neighborhood for under $2300. That's talking places like Reseda, Carson, etc. Those aren't even "nice/fancy" places.

Are you mid career, experienced, and trying to find a job? These people are offering $18 to $25 an hour and expecting the world of you. Those are Midwest wages. In CA! Who can pay for a house, utilities, car, insurance, etc on that wage? And that's with a degree in a technical field.

The gas prices, car registration and insurance, sales tax, and high rent are unbearable. And the way these employers are acting these days is reprehensible. You can only use the weather excuse so long. Eventually you have to move on, to a cheaper city, and have a better life.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:01 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
Keep on voting for Democrats!

Old 07-11-2015, 09:12 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
You got all these crazy rent increases, it's just ridiculous. Look for a 3/2 house on craigslist...you wont find anything in any kind of family neighborhood for under $2300. That's talking places like Reseda, Carson, etc. Those aren't even "nice/fancy" places.

Are you mid career, experienced, and trying to find a job? These people are offering $18 to $25 an hour and expecting the world of you. Those are Midwest wages. In CA! Who can pay for a house, utilities, car, insurance, etc on that wage? And that's with a degree in a technical field.

The gas prices, car registration and insurance, sales tax, and high rent are unbearable. And the way these employers are acting these days is reprehensible. You can only use the weather excuse so long. Eventually you have to move on, to a cheaper city, and have a better life.
As long as people keep paying a certain amount for housing landlords will keep charging it.

As long as people keep working for 'low' wages employers will keep paying it.

Bottom line.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:32 AM

696 posts, read 1,170,515 times
California is clearly is trying to drive out the middle class, soon there will only be the very poor and very rich living there.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:36 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
The rich need the poor, to clean their homes, garden, run errands for them, cook their food, etc.

The government and the poor need the rich as long as they keep paying taxes to keep things going.

One rich person is worth a lot more than many 'middle class' tax wise.

So this theory isn't totally crazy.

I don't know if it's true the rest of the country is trying to drive out the middle class. There are many parts of the country much more affordable.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:45 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
California is clearly is trying to drive out the middle class, soon there will only be the very poor and very rich living there.
That would be a very ugly and depressing CA. I'm still very excited about relocating there, and I know I'll do well.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:43 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:

Than move already.

Try FL. It's cheaper there(but not cheap), of course so are the salaries. So people find the lower COL combined with their lower salary puts them back at square one.

And $18 to $25 an hour, again try FL, you're looking at $9 to $12 an hour for those same jobs.

You see things have a way of evening out.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:36 AM

452 posts, read 619,917 times
Quote:
Than move already.

Try FL. It's cheaper there(but not cheap), of course so are the salaries. So people find the lower COL combined with their lower salary puts them back at square one.

And $18 to $25 an hour, again try FL, you're looking at $9 to $12 an hour for those same jobs.

You see things have a way of evening out.
That statement could not be any more false. The wages in other states are not that much lower to make up for the high cost of living in SoCal. Or in other words, SoCal does not necessarily pay enough vs. other states to make up for the high cost of living. (I understand some industries have their top dogs out here in "paradise" and pay more, but not true for J6P)

Went from over $100k to zero this year. Local offers coming in are now around $50k. I'm getting offers from Phoenix, TX, and other places around $50k. It is cheaper to live there, thus the $ goes farther, and your statement is false.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:09 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
That statement could not be any more false. The wages in other states are not that much lower to make up for the high cost of living in SoCal. Or in other words, SoCal does not necessarily pay enough vs. other states to make up for the high cost of living. (I understand some industries have their top dogs out here in "paradise" and pay more, but not true for J6P)

Went from over $100k to zero this year. Local offers coming in are now around $50k. I'm getting offers from Phoenix, TX, and other places around $50k. It is cheaper to live there, thus the $ goes farther, and your statement is false.

My statement is not false, I have lived both in CA and FL. FL pays among the lowest salaries in the nation, this includes professional jobs such as nurses and teachers.

I noticed in FL many people having a full time job, and than a part time job. Because when you're making $9 an hour as an office manger, you have to work a couple nights and weekends as a server. They weren't doing this for fun. While housing is much cheaper in FL, homeowner's insurance is very expensive, as is car insurance, and groceries.

My car insurance in CA is cheaper by $500 with a newer car, than in FL. WHY????? FL is LOADED with uninsured drivers(and I don't just mean like in CA with illegals), these are American born people who drive with no insurance(in FL all they get is ticket if they get pulled over for say speeding and have no car insurance, and drive off, so no incentive to have insurance). It is rampant there, so those who have car insurance pay for it.

Instead of saying I'm making false statements(have you lived anywhere besides CA?). Try educating yourself. I have something to compare it to as I have lived in a few states.

I got sticker shock when I first walked into a Publix(the Vons of FL) with the prices. And no discount cards either, every once in awhile they would do a buy one get one free, but the prices were more, so what if there was no state tax, you're still paying more.

Look it up.

Yes, CA is more expensive in some ways, but the salaries are higher.

Yes, I agree it is cheaper to live in TX and AZ. And I'm sorry if you got laid off.

I would suggest you take one of those offers and go to TX or AZ if you can't find a replacement job in your former salary range in CA. In your situation that might be what is best for you.

Good luck.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:10 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Quote:

So why are you still here? Seems like an easy decision to leave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles