Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 11:50 PM

4,536 posts, read 10,577,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
according to a friend who lives in the venice/mar vista area, gentrification along lincoln blvd and venice blvd is well underway.
Not that that was really a terrible area...but yeah....Since its LAUSD and a little run down, its a bit cheaper than the rest of westside and considering the silicon beach boom and lack of public transportation anywhere on the westside, people want to live close.

I'm on the fence about Inglewood, but right now theres almost no inventory, the sex registrant and crime maps are hella scary, and the public schools are beyond crap. So I think the further gentrification is way more likely to cut through mid city and also along the expo line. Stuff in the high 300's and low 400's in Inglewood is not selling at all. People are pushing the envelope to afford Culver City, Westchester, and Wiseburn rather than cheap out and get robbed and killed in Inglehood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
The grittier parts of west LA will continue gentrification as tech continues to move in but I think it's going to be quite a below before you see anything in East LA. Although the proximity to downtown is a big plus from a work perspective, the area is still very rough in many parts.

It's a real shame that a lot of these hillside communities like Lincoln Heights which have sweeping views of downtown LA and beyond became gang havens. You still have some beautiful Victorian in the area which are remnants of a time before everything went to hell. There is a lot of potential in these areas but it's going to take quite a while.
East LA/Boyle Heights needs flippers. The housing stock is largely terrible...very old and neglected. It will come around though. Also theres almost no reasonable private schools and the public schools are hideous. So its going to take the DINKS, hipsters, and other childless professional adutls.

Lincoln Height is garbage and even the hills are ugly, difficult to get too, and in general just a mess. Pretty sure Boyle Heights will start gentrifying first.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:36 PM

451 posts, read 557,675 times
I could see the Westlake McArthur Park being gentrified one day. Maybe at the tail end of a decade but new residential construction is slowly heading west from dtla.
It's in a central location. Lots of public transportation and accessible to freeways. Right next to dtla. McArthur park could be a great spot if they clean up (much like Echo Park). Plus there's a bunch of neat houses including the old Victorian style houses in the mix.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:32 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,276,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
East LA/Boyle Heights needs flippers. The housing stock is largely terrible...very old and neglected. It will come around though. Also theres almost no reasonable private schools and the public schools are hideous. So its going to take the DINKS, hipsters, and other childless professional adutls.

Lincoln Height is garbage and even the hills are ugly, difficult to get too, and in general just a mess. Pretty sure Boyle Heights will start gentrifying first.
Yeah it's crazy , many of the homes seem to be from the early 1900s and they look like it too!

I wouldn't be surprised if new bigger homes are built or homes get totally renovated/flipped pretty soon, but I'm sure there would be opposition. I'm not sure if the area is considered a historic district or not..I don't believe it is, but could be wrong. The area seems to be very anti gentrification and wanting to keep the area the same.

Another thing is lot sizes often seem to be really small , like under 5000sq ft is not uncommon and even stuff with like 3000sq ft lots. Same type of thing in Lincoln Heights too.

People are trying to sell basically shacks for like $400k. For the condition of the properties, size of the lots and considering the areas haven't really gentrified yet it doesn't seem like too good a value.

I do think Boyle Heights will gentrify before Lincoln Heights...I had heard about this french bakery that opened there
Opening Alert: Boyle Heights Has Itself A Brand New French Boulangerie - Eater LA

Stuff like this is usually an early sign of gentrification.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:51 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,756,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Tistic View Post
No mention of Crenshaw (Boulevard or district) or Inglewood?
Oh yeah totally forgot about the Crenshaw Corridor. Definitely impending gentrification hotspot with the Crenshaw Line coming pretty soon.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:56 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,756,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah it's crazy , many of the homes seem to be from the early 1900s and they look like it too!

I wouldn't be surprised if new bigger homes are built or homes get totally renovated/flipped pretty soon, but I'm sure there would be opposition. I'm not sure if the area is considered a historic district or not..I don't believe it is, but could be wrong. The area seems to be very anti gentrification and wanting to keep the area the same.

Another thing is lot sizes often seem to be really small , like under 5000sq ft is not uncommon and even stuff with like 3000sq ft lots. Same type of thing in Lincoln Heights too.

People are trying to sell basically shacks for like $400k. For the condition of the properties, size of the lots and considering the areas haven't really gentrified yet it doesn't seem like too good a value.

I do think Boyle Heights will gentrify before Lincoln Heights...I had heard about this french bakery that opened there
Opening Alert: Boyle Heights Has Itself A Brand New French Boulangerie - Eater LA

Stuff like this is usually an early sign of gentrification.
Another knock on Lincoln Heights is that though it technically has a Gold Line stop, it's not anywhere near the commercial corridor.

Although York Blvd isn't near Highland Park's Gold Line stop either and it is blowing up (while the Fig corridor still feels pretty gritty and pre-gentrification).

Also RE: Inglewood, my wife works with a woman who lives there with her husband. They are mixed race and certainly upper-middle-class (at least), I don't know them that well but they have never complained about the area. I feel like I have heard that pockets of Inglewood are a lot better than others.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:08 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,276,622 times
Yeah I don't know too much about Inglewood..I know the demographics have changed quite a bit since I was younger.

I remember looking a little while back and seeing that homes in Inglewood near the Westchester border were going for like 1/2 the price of the homes in Westchester at the time. Seemed to be a pretty big discount. I haven't looked recently, but i've heard Westchester was getting even more expensive because of the tech companies.

There seems to be a lot of talk of development going on in Inglewood , so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:02 PM

Comparable homes in Westchester are about 2 and a half times the price they are in Inglewood. If a home is $350k in Inglewood it's abou $850-900k in Westchester. Look on Redfin at solds the past 3 months if that seems difficult to believe. Considering Westchester doesn't have very good public schools(and disastrous public high school), you can see exactly what prospective buyers think of Inglewood.

A visit to Inglewood PD should scare most prospective buyers away. A check of the Megan's law website sends anyone with kids on their merry way to renting in the South Bay.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:19 PM

4,026 posts, read 4,410,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Oh yeah totally forgot about the Crenshaw Corridor. Definitely impending gentrification hotspot with the Crenshaw Line coming pretty soon.
There will probably be a station at Pico and LA Brea. That area is very run down but near Miracle Mile.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:39 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,830,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Although York Blvd isn't near Highland Park's Gold Line stop either and it is blowing up (while the Fig corridor still feels pretty gritty and pre-gentrification).
I think most of Highland Park's gentrification is focused on York Blvd right now, but there are signs the blocks near the station are attracting new shops and residents. Figueroa has potential for that Sunset Junction style renewal. Give it another 5-7 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles