Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 03:03 PM

765 posts, read 986,300 times

Advertisements

What are the pros and cons for you to live in Los Angeles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 07:07 PM

908 posts, read 1,302,670 times
This list could go on and on, but here's an abbreviated version.

Pros:

1) Tons of entertainment options
2) Amazing selection of cuisines
3) Awesome weather almost year-round
4) Beautiful women of all races / ethnicities
5) Geographic diversity

Cons:

1) High cost of living (housing especially is very expensive)
2) Traffic
3) Some areas could use a major aesthetic facelift (huge swaths of LA are a concrete jungle)
4) Decentralization
5) While we have great weather, there is a lack of distinct seasons

Old 07-15-2015, 07:25 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
YMMV, but here is my list:

Pros:

1. I've lived here all of my life; it's familiar.
2. Relatively close to the Sierras, Yosemite, etc.
3. Weather (no snow to mess up the commute; we can hardly drive in the rain, anyway!)
4. Ethnic and cultural diversity
5. Local hikes are a short drive away.
6. Free events, especially in the summer (concerts at parks, etc.)
7. Whatever lifestyle you want, it can be found here.

Cons:

1. Traffic (even on Sundays now the 101 is a mess!)
2. Smog
3. San Fernando Valley summer weather
4. Earthquakes
5. High cost of living
6. Useless leaders at best; corrupt officials at worst

Old 07-15-2015, 07:32 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
This list could go on and on, but here's an abbreviated version.

Pros:
3) Awesome weather almost year-round

Cons:
5) While we have great weather, there is a lack of distinct seasons
Can a lack of distinct seasons be a con when nice weather year-round is a pro? What makes the seasons distinct? Snow in winter, rain in spring, high heat in summer, crisp coolness in autumn, right? Well LA doesn't get snow(thank god), doesn't get much rain(always sunny), is always warm and the summers aren't particularly hot, and gets cool at night year round. If you changed any of these things we would no longer have great weather year-round.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:05 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Can a lack of distinct seasons be a con when nice weather year-round is a pro? What makes the seasons distinct? Snow in winter, rain in spring, high heat in summer, crisp coolness in autumn, right? Well LA doesn't get snow(thank god), doesn't get much rain(always sunny), is always warm and the summers aren't particularly hot, and gets cool at night year round. If you changed any of these things we would no longer have great weather year-round.
True ,, it's amazing how many people move to L.A or warm areas to get out of the snow. It seems even if people have lived somewhere with cold weather their whole life they never really get used to it.
Must be kind of weird to just look forward to the summer when you can actually go out and enjoy things without a huge jacket on .

Old 07-15-2015, 10:01 PM

452 posts, read 619,447 times
I always thought the food in L.A. was lacking. I had much better in STL and Chicago, except for Mexican and Korean.

Other than that, pepole in L.A. are delusional if they think the food here is bomb

Old 07-15-2015, 10:06 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
True ,, it's amazing how many people move to L.A or warm areas to get out of the snow. It seems even if people have lived somewhere with cold weather their whole life they never really get used to it.
Must be kind of weird to just look forward to the summer when you can actually go out and enjoy things without a huge jacket on .
Yeah, I came from the Midwest and NYC so I was totally over cold and snow. I lived in Texas for a while but Los Angeles has Texas beat on weather. It gets so damn hot in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
I always thought the food in L.A. was lacking. I had much better in STL and Chicago, except for Mexican and Korean.

Other than that, pepole in L.A. are delusional if they think the food here is bomb
Right, so all of those LA restaurants that are ranked among the best in the country are just imaginary?
Don't you get tired of trolling? What could you possibly be getting out of pretending to be stupid and belligerent?

Old 07-15-2015, 10:19 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
YMMV, but here is my list:

Pros:

1. I've lived here all of my life; it's familiar.
2. Relatively close to the Sierras, Yosemite, etc.
3. Weather (no snow to mess up the commute; we can hardly drive in the rain, anyway!)
4. Ethnic and cultural diversity
5. Local hikes are a short drive away.
6. Free events, especially in the summer (concerts at parks, etc.)
7. Whatever lifestyle you want, it can be found here.

Cons:

1. Traffic (even on Sundays now the 101 is a mess!)
2. Smog
3. San Fernando Valley summer weather
4. Earthquakes
5. High cost of living
6. Useless leaders at best; corrupt officials at worst
Pretty solid list!

Old 07-15-2015, 10:29 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times
Pros: The People

Cons: The People

Old 07-15-2015, 10:36 PM

452 posts, read 619,447 times
Mourdin, are those restaurants the ones full of hipsters and fufu girly men? Or is it Titos Tacos? Either way I'm unimpressed. Give me steak or Italian food from St Louis, or impossible in SoCal to find real BBQ. Or some real deviled eggs or something with Rhubarb. Ugh...you see what I mean about the way you people think out here? Ridiculous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles