U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 01:17 PM

18 posts, read 9,775 times

Advertisements

The neighborhood I live in looks a little rough, I've driven past a lot of belligerent crazy people, and there are packs of dudes that look suspiciously like gangster folks. I'm sure all these people are cool if you don't start stuff with them, but it's something I've never experienced where I'm from, at least not a lot. Don't mean to sound like an arse, but I wanna stay safe and not get shot before I finish my degree at CSULB.

I know I'm already assuming a lot about my neighbors, and I know that's unfair, but taking a glance at the crime maps I sort of psyched myself out. I'm just some asian dude from a relatively crime-free part of San Diego, I need some tips!

So, since I'm new to this environment, I'd like to get an opinion from recent/current locals of Long Beach on how to stay safe and otherwise avoid trouble. What're the problem streets / neighborhoods? Any territories I shouldn't venture into? How do I make my property / car less attractive to break into?

And whatever else you guys would like to tell me. I plan on moving more towards CSULB after this semester once I got my foot in, but I'd like to figure out my own location first.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 01:30 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,294,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gileotine View Post
The neighborhood I live in looks a little rough, I've driven past a lot of belligerent crazy people, and there are packs of dudes that look suspiciously like gangster folks. I'm sure all these people are cool if you don't start stuff with them, but it's something I've never experienced where I'm from, at least not a lot. Don't mean to sound like an arse, but I wanna stay safe and not get shot before I finish my degree at CSULB.

I know I'm already assuming a lot about my neighbors, and I know that's unfair, but taking a glance at the crime maps I sort of psyched myself out. I'm just some asian dude from a relatively crime-free part of San Diego, I need some tips!

So, since I'm new to this environment, I'd like to get an opinion from recent/current locals of Long Beach on how to stay safe and otherwise avoid trouble. What're the problem streets / neighborhoods? Any territories I shouldn't venture into? How do I make my property / car less attractive to break into?

And whatever else you guys would like to tell me. I plan on moving more towards CSULB after this semester once I got my foot in, but I'd like to figure out my own location first.

Thanks.
I hate anything resembling like red-lining, but a general rule of thumb is spend most time west of Redondo and below 4th, maybe 7th. But there's even exceptions to that, e.g. Bixby Knolls. There are many homeless, but mostly harmless. Be smart and you'll be fine.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:36 PM

600 posts, read 595,979 times
I work near the area. Most people for are commuting in from OC, usually Cypress. One person lives near Lakewood as well. Bixby Knolls is nice. Try to stay as close as you can near the shore, or if you can ultimately live in OC, it's better to do that.

Long Beach is a working class area and has some rough neighborhoods. For what you'd rent in Long Beach, you can live in Garden Grove or Westminster and drive in. I'd rather do that than live in LB.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
I work near the area. Most people for are commuting in from OC, usually Cypress. One person lives near Lakewood as well. Bixby Knolls is nice. Try to stay as close as you can near the shore, or if you can ultimately live in OC, it's better to do that.

Long Beach is a working class area and has some rough neighborhoods. For what you'd rent in Long Beach, you can live in Garden Grove or Westminster and drive in. I'd rather do that than live in LB.
That's you. I did 10 years in OC, boring as ****. A bit tentative before buying in LB. Now, there's not enough money in the world to make me move back.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:44 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,441,893 times
Get yourself a paper spray, attach it to your car key, always carry it with you.
Buy a handgun, keep it loaded at home.
Don't walk around alone in the areas you don't like (chances of bad guys carjacking you are much less than chances of someone trying to rob you on the street).
When walking, always carry some cash, but never more than what you can afford to lose.
Relax, for god's sake. Those mean guys are probably not after you.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:23 PM

I was desperate and rushed into the place I'm in now, since school starts on the 24th and my orientation is in three days. My roommate isn't bad at all, and he's said he's lived here for five years and he's never had a problem. "Mostly harmless and usually friendly" he's called the neighbors here. I'm sure he was just trying to sell the place (nobody's going to say YEAH I GOT CARJACKED TWICE HERE), but five years is a good gauge to how rough a place is, right?

I live near MLK JR Park, and I gotta walk a block to take the public transit. I hear PCH and up is kind bad news, and I'm assuming it's not the best place to be walking if I have to get home late from school.

..Maybe I'll just buy the parking pass.

Anyways, other than 'be smart / dont be stupid' and 'be ready to defend yourself with a gat' what else might you guys have for me to keep safe and not die

Also what's red-lining?

Old 07-31-2015, 03:23 PM

Well, if that's it, thanks everyone!

Old 07-31-2015, 03:31 PM

600 posts, read 595,979 times
That area you are in is a little rough. I know some who are not too far by you who live by the circle but you are north of 7th which isn't the most ideal. Either later on try Bixby Knolls or head further up to Lakewood. If not get south of 7th. Even Signal Hill which is slightly north of you is 'eh'.

I also attend CSULB as well for a masters and the immediate surrounding campus area is very safe, but I commute in from OC from the 22 and I drive. A student I know here uses public buses to go back to San Pedro and has not had any problems. There is something set up with the campus where students get free public transit if you do decide to use it.

Sorry but there's really not a good answer plus you are already moved in. I'm not originally even from California, but I always recall Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre rapping about "Compton, Long Beach, Inglewood." I always took that as a good sign not to live there.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gileotine View Post
Well, if that's it, thanks everyone!
I'm not sure what else there is to say. PCH through Long Beach is rough, and the traffic maneuvers and pedestrian decision-making on Anaheim Street makes me wonder if this what life is like in Jakarta. As Max said, you're already moved in. If you're not comfortable there you can plot your next move to other places in LB would without subjecting yourself to OC. Take advantage of the things it has to offer.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:16 PM

I'm gonna be looking for a place around the campus. This right now is just kind of the SCHOOL STARTS IN THREE DAYS AND I DONT HAVE A PLACE reaction. But, the rent is hilariously cheap for me-- 300 dollars +50 for the utilities. That's me surviving off of grant money and savings, plus a work study job. I dont know where I'd find something like that down near the school.

I figure that once I start making friends in CSULB I'll find someone who I can take a room from.

Anyways guys, thanks so much for your help! Let's hope I don't get shot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or