Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2008, 04:30 AM

15 posts, read 62,866 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I have got a new job in Gardena, CA and was looking to relocate to some nearby or safe place. Can anyone provide me any suggestion on nearby places that is safe for myself and my wife. I am looking for 1 bedroom apt. Also any nearby city which is safe and affordable is fine too. Any information to avoid bad areas or bad neighborhood is also appreciated.
Thanks in advance !!.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 05:51 AM

71 posts, read 372,415 times
To really answer we'd need to know what you can afford by montly rent. It really makes a huge difference down here. The beach cities and West Torrance are the best choices if you can afford them. The rest of Torrance is good too but not as good as West Torrance IMO. Gardena itself is not that bad if you need less expensive rent than the beach cities, but it is a worse neighborhood. There are really bad parts of Gardena and better parts but there is a bigger gang presence there than in the beach ciities.

Give me a range of rent you are expecting to pay and I can better answer your question.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:14 AM

Thanks for your help. I am looking for 1Bedroom Hall and i am willing to pay upto $1000 per month. this would be max I can afford now...also can you suggest any other nearby city where is safe for my family...Thank you once again...

Old 01-25-2008, 03:51 PM

A $1000/month is low for rent around here, at least in what I would consider a safe area. There are gangs in most areas of LA county but some are worse than other areas so for that price the areas I would look in are:

Lawndale (if you can find any)
Gardena
San Pedro (parts are better than others so be careful)
Long Beach
Hawthorne (less desirable)
around LAX on the Hawthorne/Inglewood side (less desirable)

There won't be many places but they are out there if you look hard enough. Check craigs list to see the price range of the kind of rents you can expect to find here. Stay away from Carson and Compton, Bellflower. Downey has some nice areas but you have to be careful where exactly and I'm not as familiar with the intricacies of cities that far east. Pretty much you want to stay west and south of Gardena area, but don't go into the Carson and Compton area.

Good luck. If you find some possible addresses and post them here I'll check back and give you input on them.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:19 PM

Thanks for all the information. How about Torrance, which seems to be the closest area but the apt rate seems to be very high. Could you please suggest me some safe area in torrance..

Old 01-26-2008, 04:05 PM

West Torrance is the safest and most expensive, as well as South. If you find anything at all at your income level it'd be in North Torrance or Old Torrance (there is no East Torrance). But it is probably out of your range as well. You could check Lomita which is next to Torrance, that is pretty good but again it's expensive.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:02 AM

76 posts, read 357,148 times
Gardena is a good option for you.If you can find something near redondo beach blvd west of normandie that's a pretty decent area.You are not going to find a 1 bedroom in a really great area.A decent 1 bedroom in the a bad area will run you about $800.Go with someplace relatively safe and use common sense and you should be fine.

Last edited by WinnieC; 01-27-2008 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: Misspelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles