U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 03:20 PM

25,306 posts, read 16,131,244 times

Advertisements

Compton worries 'Straight Outta Compton' could give people the wrong idea - LA Times

Thought this was kind of interesting. I've been looking forward to seeing this movie. It comes out today.
I grew up with rap music so it would be interesting to see the story behind the music on film.

Seems kind of weird the Mayor of Compton would be concerned..I know she wants Compton to be the next Brooklyn..but it seems kind of weird to be concerned about events that happen decades ago.

Compton's mayor says city can be just like Brooklyn - Aug. 13, 2015

Of course having this big nationwide theatrical release is a good opportunity for her to talk about Compton and get her name out there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 03:36 PM

600 posts, read 650,777 times
Compton has always been mentioned so many times throughout the decades in rap music. It's hard to see this movie being the "tipping point" LOL.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:08 PM

203 posts, read 486,257 times
The movie actually doesn't make Compton look bad. And if anything, the only "negative" thing it shows for Compton is the police, versus the gang violence or anything else that it could have shown. And it really just gives Compton natives a strong sense of pride that they normally aren't able to display.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:28 PM

I wonder if the Compton Mayor saw the movie before she made her comments or just the trailer.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:32 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,669,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Compton worries 'Straight Outta Compton' could give people the wrong idea - LA Times

Thought this was kind of interesting. I've been looking forward to seeing this movie. It comes out today.
I grew up with rap music so it would be interesting to see the story behind the music on film.

Seems kind of weird the Mayor of Compton would be concerned..I know she wants Compton to be the next Brooklyn..but it seems kind of weird to be concerned about events that happen decades ago.

Compton's mayor says city can be just like Brooklyn - Aug. 13, 2015

Of course having this big nationwide theatrical release is a good opportunity for her to talk about Compton and get her name out there too.
Wow, shes really out of touch if she wants Compton to be the next Brooklyn. What a low ceiling. In spite of the stupidly high rents that gullible people have been paying Brooklyn lately, alot of it is still a hole. Just a weekend or so ago there was 10-15 people shot in one house party.

I truly believe she got that job at that age b/c literally nobody else wanted it.

Personally when i think of the area, movie or not, stuff like this comes to mind

Reward Offered in Slaying of Man Shot Because of Color of His Car | KTLA

Old 08-15-2015, 02:51 PM

Yeah it makes me wonder if she's even been to Brooklyn or knows Brooklyn that well.

Sad that guy was killed because of the color of his car...he wanted to be a firefighter , so it's not surprising he would drive a red car. Looks like there are still quite a few scumbags out there that have little value for life.

The mayor should probably work on getting more of these people in jail before turning Compton into hipster central.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:57 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,669,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah it makes me wonder if she's even been to Brooklyn or knows Brooklyn that well.

I doubt it. Shes probably heard a couple of soundbites. Only the areas nearest to Manhattan have been seriously upgraded in Brooklyn but a lot of it is still on the grimy side.

Bottom line is the schools in Compton are still bad, and there's still a Blood/ Crypt presence where apparently there are still color lines block to block.

She cites that murder is down since the 90's, true, but they can be said about every major city in the US.

I'm pretty sure she hates that this movie is out to remind people about the stereotypes of the area.

Funny enough, there's not even a movie theater in Compton to watch it.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:01 PM

41,682 posts, read 41,177,571 times
Compton's rep for being a ****house was long long before this movie came out.... LOL.......

I hope that Compton goes through a Brooklyn style makeover, but if it ever gentrifies it would force out the poorer people that live there, so there is always a negative flip side...

Old 08-16-2015, 06:04 PM

4,329 posts, read 3,766,537 times
This whole security upgrade thing around the nation was just ridiculous. FYI, all the theaters shooting has been done by white males and not black gangsters. The hypocrisy is just baffling. Bye Felicia!

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 08-16-2015 at 06:33 PM..

Old 08-17-2015, 01:34 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,607,745 times
Compton (like many other traditionally A.A. communities in LA and SF metros) has become majority Latino.

That in and of itself has been a revolutionary change.

Compton long ago ceased being what it was during the 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles