U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-18-2007, 07:16 PM

128 posts, read 322,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kram View Post
We must remember that many of those who come here and refuse to asimilate are not "citizens" at all-they are interlopers committing crimes and fraud.

Kram

hey is that Kram for "Kramer" ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 01:33 PM

10 posts, read 15,984 times
Default Hello from Maryland

We lived in Southern California (Ventura County - next to the beach!) for about 25+ years and we just recently relocated to Germantown, Maryland about 4 years ago because I took a nice cushy government job down in Washington DC (about hour south from where we live).

Maryland is such a beautiful little state, mountains to the west, metropolitan cities to Baltimore and DC, Chesapeake Bay with all the boats, great crabs and seafood, great boardwalk and ocean front in Ocean City, MD near Delaware, all within couple of hours where we live. We can easily take trips to NYC, Philly, DC, Pitt but most of the time, we spend our nice family time just driving around the nice GREEN, countryside. The winters have been surprisingly mild and the family loves it here. In fact, we just had our first snow of the winter (about an inch !!!). My kid goes to a very nice catholic school, conservative, and away from the hustle and bustle of overcrowded SoCal schools including the private ones.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Maryland, check into it if you are planning to move out of that cesspool call LA. I still have family down there and everytime they visit me for a couple of weeks, they feel the same way I do. I certainly don't miss the noise, the pollution, the traffic (i take the train to work - very easily and paid for!), all the garbage about illegals, the non-english speaking wannabes who clamor for rights that shouldn't be afforded to them in the first place, the gangbangers, the endless thud thud thud of bass-thumping low-riders, hey I know the drill - SoCal is a cesspool. The weather is nice, but hey, it ain't everything...I certainly don't miss it.

BTW, schools and universities back here in the East Coast are top-notch. I know, because my son's curriculum is 10x tougher and harder than his private school counterpart back in Cali...there are so many comparisons, it is not even funny anymore, but you don't have to listen to me...But if you are interested, check out Montgomery County, MD. We love it out here.

peace...

Old 01-24-2007, 12:33 PM

11,738 posts, read 12,341,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodomaster View Post
BTW, schools and universities back here in the East Coast are top-notch. I know, because my son's curriculum is 10x tougher and harder than his private school counterpart back in Cali...there are so many comparisons, it is not even funny anymore, but you don't have to listen to me...But if you are interested, check out Montgomery County, MD. We love it out here.

peace...
I have family in Montgomery County and it is nice, however people there also complain about traffic and illegal immigrants. However, the DC Metro is far superior to any public transportation options in L.A. - but that seems to be the pattern on the east coast. IMO, the whole mode of thinking even in L.A.'s "good old days" to be the opposite of the northeast has contributed to the problems here today.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:10 PM

10 posts, read 15,984 times
Default right about the traffic

majoun,

you are so right about the traffic in MD, that beltway and the 270 is up there with the 405 in futility, but thankfully, my job pays for my MARC train and it has been a godsend. It takes me 5 minutes to get to the station from our house and the train stops right in front of my building where i work, now how can you beat that!...FREE and I don't have to worry about parking!... Plus, if the train doesn't work, i can always take the DC metro subway to get home.

Life is good here, I can't complain...there are lots of jobs (government, technical, software, biotech, etc), its amazing not more Cali techie folks have taken the flight here - its a techie job market nirvana...i'm still getting job offers that I am turning down because i love my job so much, its unbelievable...

Yes, the weather can be better, but compared to the other Northeastern states, Maryland's weather is not too bad. Upstate NY, states around the lakes, now those can get pretty cold. Plus, we are still close enough to the water. We love going to Annapolis and eating crabs and checking out and sailing the cool boats, going over the Chesapeake bridge onto Ocean City and/or Eastern Shore for the beach and the boardwalk...

We love going to western MD to Cumberland and riding that scenic steam train to Frostburg up in the mountains...we like hanging out eating and shopping in historic Frederick, we go couple of hours to check out the Amish people in Lancaster, PA, get Civil War nostalgic with Antietam, MD, Harpers Ferry WV, and Gettysburg PA, or check out the cool Inner Harbor, and Little Italy in Baltimore, and of course check out the FREE museums and hang out in M Street near Georgetown down in DC, and all these within an hour or two from where we live, what's not to love...

Old 01-24-2007, 09:41 PM

177 posts, read 508,651 times
Well, I'm curious as to where you decided to move because I looked
up Appleton, Wisconsin out of curiousity on the sex offender site and
it had offenders all over town. The reason I looked it up is because it
sounded great... untill I saw the map.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:09 AM

625 posts, read 1,700,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la quinta family View Post
Well, I'm curious as to where you decided to move because I looked
up Appleton, Wisconsin out of curiousity on the sex offender site and
it had offenders all over town. The reason I looked it up is because it
sounded great... untill I saw the map.
Haven't looked at Cali's map, have ya? I did a search on my old address one time and my jaw hit the floor. FIFTEEN within a one-mile radius, mostly for sex with girls/boys under 14.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:36 AM

177 posts, read 508,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky View Post
Haven't looked at Cali's map, have ya? I did a search on my old address one time and my jaw hit the floor. FIFTEEN within a one-mile radius, mostly for sex with girls/boys under 14.
I know.. I have looked and was shocked. I've looked at a few different
places in California and have decided pretty much nowhere is completely
safe. When he (a cop) mentioned how safe and great Appleton, Wisconsin
was I was interested in it, but it's no different. It would be great to
find a small town that actually was scenic, had friendly people and
low crime, especially sex offenders.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:57 AM

1,398 posts, read 4,541,291 times
la quinta family, I'll pass along a homily by a local friend of mine who is widely well-travelled within the U.S. and the rest of the world, who said, "The farther away from you get from Los Angeles, the friendlier people seem to be."

But gosh, there are so many variables in what you might want in a place to live. Safety obviously is paramount to your family, so living in a smaller city well away from Southern California would put you all back into the category of dealing with normal statistics of crime instead of a compacted urban incubator of criminal problems.

Some posters have chided this sight, but I still recommend ****.com, putting in very specific, extreme answers to their questions, and seeing what they come up with. It might work for thinking about places you hadn't considered, as a starting point of further research. At worst, it's a nice compilation of large, medium and small cities with a lot of info on them. Good luck.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:32 PM

11,738 posts, read 12,341,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
la quinta family, I'll pass along a homily by a local friend of mine who is widely well-travelled within the U.S. and the rest of the world, who said, "The farther away from you get from Los Angeles, the friendlier people seem to be." .
This suggests New Zealand as the best destination.....

Old 01-29-2007, 01:21 AM

2,813 posts, read 3,124,039 times
I'm 28 and have lived in LA my whole life.

I went to Orlando last week on vacation (saw Disney World, the works) and every time I come back and land at LAX, there's just this sadness..."what the he** am I coming back to?"

I'm really torn. Great weather, best in the country. Great things to do. It's exciting, but it's not really a life. People don't live like this in other parts of the country.

You go to Vermont, Maine, Pennsylvania, there's Americanism back there. It's Norman Rockwell. So Cal is just this gigantic ghetto that got ruined by the illegals.

There was a reply somewhere on here about, "don't blame the illegals, they aren't that bad". But...these guys bring it on themselves. I think they're completely insane....to come here from a poor country in search of a better life. Free education, free healthcare, free everything. We bend over backwards, and offer them things no other country in the world would offer.

If they snuck into Russia or China, they'd be rounded up and literally thrown right back over the fence.

And what do they do when they get here? Trash neighborhoods, crime, bring down schools, can't graduate from highschool, gangbanger/ghetto culture, refusing to assimilate, etc. Craziest thing I've ever seen.

I really miss the Southern California of the 80's. Just sick about how far things have fallen. I've got to find the 21st century version of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles