Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 01:09 AM

856 posts, read 1,043,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_elise_ View Post
First of, what does ladera heights have to do with this????? #confused.

Secondly, I lived in Carson for a brief time and NEVED did I fear a stray bullet?? You must be getting Carson confused with other areas.

Uh, huh.

Carson, an unincorporated part of Los Angeles where the Sheriffs roam in packs.

Carson, gateway to Watts and Compton.

I admitted that certain sections of Inglewood have nice homes. That would be Ladera Heights.

But Inglewood is still, well, Inglewood. Next door to Ladera Heights.

Bullets know no boundaries. Gangs shooting at each other don't search for a backstop before drawing down on someone.

Like I said, I've grown up in Los Angeles County. I certainly know what parts of La Brea to stay off of, what parts of Western to stay away from at night, what parts of Crenshaw not to cruise at night, what parts of Imperial and Century are where the hookers cruise and what parts of Venice headed past La Cienega to not travel. And taking Rosecrans east past Figueroa is a no-no.

"... I've wined, dined, sipped and supped in some of the most demonstrably demi-epitomable bistros in the Los Angeles metropolitan region.

I've had strange looking patty melts at Norm's.

I've had dangerous veal cutlets at the Copper Penny."

The LAPD uses eight 'tactical channels' to manage their CRASH units. Eight.

Yeah, I think I know my county.

This thread has taken a turn for the worse so,

"Now well, the classified section offers no direction" and "I've been 86'ed from your scheme".

I need to see a man about a dog.

CYA.

- 30 -

Last edited by HeadhunterPaul; 08-25-2015 at 01:19 AM.. Reason: additional text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 01:31 AM

Exclamation New to L.A. Good and Bad Sectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
OP think Huntington park is nice. Paul, you think Huntington park is someplace you want to live? I rest my case.
Yeah, well, I kind'a lumped Huntington Park in with

City of Industry

Vernon

Bell

Maywood

City of Commerce

.....and how could I have left out South Gate?

I'd throw in Firestone just for kicks but I liked that guy's RAM VAN commercials.

And Whittier....well, the Prez, you know.

It's a shame when you need to wear body armor just to pick up some lahmejune at Partamian's.

LOL!

Paul.........

Old 08-25-2015, 01:50 AM

496 posts, read 570,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadhunterPaul View Post
Uh, huh.

Carson, an unincorporated part of Los Angeles where the Sheriffs roam in packs.

Carson, gateway to Watts and Compton.

I admitted that certain sections of Inglewood have nice homes. That would be Ladera Heights.

But Inglewood is still, well, Inglewood. Next door to Ladera Heights.

Bullets know no boundaries. Gangs shooting at each other don't search for a backstop before drawing down on someone.

Like I said, I've grown up in Los Angeles County. I certainly know what parts of La Brea to stay off of, what parts of Western to stay away from at night, what parts of Crenshaw not to cruise at night, what parts of Imperial and Century are where the hookers cruise.

"... I've wined, dined, sipped and supped in some of the most demonstrably demi-epitomable bistros in the Los Angeles metropolitan region.

I've had strange looking patty melts at Norm's.

I've had dangerous veal cutlets at the Copper Penny."

There's a reason the LAPD refers to them as 'tactical channels'. Eight of them. Do you know what a CRASH unit is, Erin?

This thread has taken a turn for the worse so,

"Now well, the classified section offers no direction" and "I've been 86'ed from your scheme".

- 30 -

the fact that you incorporated Ladera Heights with Inglewood is extremely misleading. The neighborhoods are pretty are starkly different as far as lot size, real estate value, and reputation. There are several desirable neighborhoods in LA that border not so desirable neighborhoods/cities in terms of real estate value (if you use a metric). That is nothing new in LA. (i.e. Sherman Oaks/Van Nuys, Reseda/Woodland Hills, Hawthorne/Redondo Beach, etc)

But again, Ladera Heights did not need to be mentioned in this discussion. One can certainly discuss Inglewood without having to incorporate Ladera Heights. Again, the metrics tell that tale.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_elise_ View Post
the fact that you incorporated Ladera Heights with Inglewood is extremely misleading. The neighborhoods are pretty are starkly different as far as lot size, real estate value, and reputation. There are several desirable neighborhoods in LA that border not so desirable neighborhoods/cities in terms of real estate value (if you use a metric). That is nothing new in LA. (i.e. Sherman Oaks/Van Nuys, Reseda/Woodland Hills, Hawthorne/Redondo Beach, etc)

But again, Ladera Heights did not need to be mentioned in this discussion. One can certainly discuss Inglewood without having to incorporate Ladera Heights. Again, the metrics tell that tale.

I can't believe you dissed Hawthorne.

They have a very nice VFW post that includes a ballroom and also a patio.

Somebody tell the original poster that it's okay- he can live in Ladera Heights if he wants to.

(Everybody raise your hand if you miss FEDCO.)

Paul..........

Old 08-27-2015, 12:47 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,223,207 times
Quote:
Okay, let's try this again. I was born in the downtown L.A. area and was raised in Redondo Beach. I've lived in various parts of L.A. County, from Signal Hill to Brentwood and I've worked and/or had clients in many parts of L.A. County and of course, I've cruised every city there is to cruise including those in which I had no business cruising through.

After sixty years, I have a pretty good idea of where one would or would not want to live if one does not want to take a chance of catching a stray bullet.

Gardena.......some parts safer than others but Gardena has amongst the highest crime rates in the South Bay. This is not negotiable.

Lynwood....this is not even a discussion. Stay out of Lynwood.

Compton....ditto. Stay out of Compton.

Lennox....triple ditto. Stay out of Lennox unless you believe the Sheriff's will always be one step ahead of you.

Carson....some parts are nicer than others but again, you live in Carson, you increase the odds.

South Central L.A. ....Do I need to even say anything?

Wilmington....some parts are nicer than others but again, the city as a whole cannot be considered unconditionally safe.

Harbor City....ditto

I left out San Pedro but it should be noted that certain parts of Pedro should be considered off limits.

Watts.... Who's kidding who?

Inglewood... Some of Inglewood has some very nice housing but again, overall, it is easier to live somewhere else than risk a stray drive by bullet.

I didn't include Hawthorne but every weekend, there was a shooting two buildings over on Cerise where it was only a matter of time before one of the shots in that apartment building would make its way over our way.

Venice is sketchy. Safe enough during the day but at night, stay off the streets of Venice that are just west of Sepulveda.

City of Industry, Vernon and the surrounding area is also a free fire zone. If you don't believe me, then you haven't seen that the motor officers who cruise that area carry shotguns in scabbards on their motorcycles. There's a reason for that.

If anyone debates what I've said then they have not lived in L.A. long enough to know better.

And don't get me started on Monterey Park and the surrounding area.

BigBossM, do not disregard my list.

Check the stats if it takes that to convince you. Most of what I've said is common knowledge.

Too much information is better than not enough information.

Paul...........

Quote:
I think it should be mentioned we are not just discussing 'where it is not so safe' but also quality of life.

I see you live in Ladera Heights so I will add to my list:

Crenshaw District.

I know what you are thinking, Erin, but it is what it is.

And let's not forget:

Pico Rivera.

I'd add 'parts of' Whittier to that list.

And of course, we have:

Parts of Van Nuys.

Tell me when to stop.

Anyone wants to debate this, just spend a few hours listening to a police scanner. A day of that and you won't want to leave your house.

Paul......

Looks like you've left out Harbor Gateway, Wilmington, Willlowbrook, Paramount, Bell, Bell Gardens, Hawaiian Gardens, Norwalk, Santa Fe Springs, North Long Beach, Bellflower, and several other areas. In other words, some former and current Angelenos believe that almost everything east of the 405 is "not so safe."

Old 08-27-2015, 12:52 PM

600 posts, read 819,000 times
If you look at the map, the generally agreed upon area is 10-405-605. If you look that makes roughly a triangle that is south of the downtown area of LA. That area is generally not the best area which you happen to fall in. The only exception to this is Culver City which is in the upper left corner and Lakewood which isn't "too bad".

Old 08-27-2015, 01:21 PM

Exclamation Not So Safe Parts of Los Angeles County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Looks like you've left out

Harbor Gateway,

Wilmington,

Willlowbrook,

Paramount,

Bell,

Bell Gardens,

Hawaiian Gardens,

Norwalk,

Santa Fe Springs,

North Long Beach,

Bellflower, and several other areas. In other words, some former and current Angelenos believe that almost everything east of the 405 is "not so safe."
Smarty Pants!

Yes, it is usually said that 'there is no life east of PCH/Sepulveda'

How I missed Wilmington, I don't know. Especially since I listed Harbor City and Lomita.... Good catch, Jonah.

Harbor Gateway = Harbor City

Santa Fe Springs, yes, good one.

North Long Beach-- yes, I thought of NLB but decided to cut them some slack. Especially since if you take Cherry north off the 405 they have some nice homes that way.

Bellflower, Hawaiian Gardens, Cerritos (you left out Cerritos, Jonah), Norwalk, Lakewood, Artesia (you left out Artesia, too), Paramount-- that pocket of L.A. County I refer to as The Land That Time Forgot since it is possible to live one's entire life in the South Bay and never even know those cities exist. If I had not worked for a couple of medical clinics in Bellflower in '72 and occasionally shoot pool at Hard Times Billiards off the 91, I still wouldn't know they exist.

(Jonah, you forgot to give Lakewood a plug for having the oldest McDonald's.....)

I don't consider that area to be the same level of threat as some of the other places I've listed/you've mentioned.

As for Bell-- Well, I already said, "City of Industry, Vernon and the surrounding area is also a free fire zone".

"Willowbrook"? Lemme go look it up-- Oh, okay, yes, you're right.

We left out parts of the SF and SG Valleys but since to us in the South Bay, they don't exist, I did not mention the cities there that are hot.

I believe we could add Montebello to the list, yes? El Monte, too, I guess.

Paul..............

Old 08-27-2015, 01:30 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,634,692 times
Quote:
Yeah, well, I kind'a lumped Huntington Park in with

City of Industry

Vernon

Bell

Maywood

City of Commerce

.....and how could I have left out South Gate?

I'd throw in Firestone just for kicks but I liked that guy's RAM VAN commercials.

And Whittier....well, the Prez, you know.

It's a shame when you need to wear body armor just to pick up some lahmejune at Partamian's.

LOL!

Paul.........

So since the OP thinks Huntington Park is nice and you think it's off limits I guess the rest of your list is completely useless, no?

Old 08-27-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
So since the OP thinks Huntington Park is nice and you think it's off limits I guess the rest of your list is completely useless, no?

...and if the other person thought the Earth is flat?

You are being argumentative. Anyone who lives in L.A. County would recognize that list for what it is.

You obviously have an ax to grind.

According to you, the original poster should feel totally comfortable moving into Lynwood.

Good luck with that.

Paul..........

Old 08-27-2015, 02:11 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,634,692 times
Quote:
...and if the other person thought the Earth is flat?

You are being argumentative. Anyone who lives in L.A. County would recognize that list for what it is.

You obviously have an ax to grind.

According to you, the original poster should feel totally comfortable moving into Lynwood.

Good luck with that.

Paul..........

No, I'm just saying your list is completely useless to the OP's question. If you can't see why, that's not my problem.

Also, re: "an axe to grind" the irony is priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles