Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2015, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 739 times

Advertisements

Hi

I'm a Brit currently living in London. Been working in TV production and development for 12 years and have now decided on a move to LA. I am persuing work opportunities through my current network but thought I would reach out online to see gain from the value of your shared experiences.

What's the best way to get a work? What visa will I need? Are there any good brit companies based in LA that might be more sympathetic to my situation?

All your ideas and advice great fully received. Barry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 11:37 AM

8,452 posts, read 14,974,922 times
Try here. Brits in LA. Lots of your questions answered, and you can contact people. They're almost all in entertainment:

THE ANGLO FILES

Old 08-23-2015, 09:26 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,293,826 times
2 things working against you

1-You're talking about an exclusive field that basically hands out jobs by word of mouth or who you know.

2-There's a huge anti illegal movement going on right about now. Not that you're looking to be here illegally, but you still would qualify under those coming here to take a job an American could have.

I would say go on an immigration site, and work out the Visa issues first. But if you are in London, I would do my best to reach out to someone like Ridley Scott or STeve Mcqueen. I suppose is either one took a real liking to you, they could perhaps sponser you for work on one of their American projects

Old 08-23-2015, 09:53 PM

325 posts, read 369,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
2 things working against you

2-There's a huge anti illegal movement going on right about now. Not that you're looking to be here illegally, but you still would qualify under those coming here to take a job an American could have.
Hahaha! I think this is one of the biggest exaggerations I've read on City Data in awhile!

OP, I wouldn't worry too much about this. I'd worry lots more about making rent in L.A. until you find a job, but not this. Your original post was quite clear you're going through all the channels to work here legally. Even if you didn't, the jobs you're seeking are hardly a concern to the majority of Americans. Only those eking out a living waiting tables at diners along Sunset until they make it big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles