Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with my mom or with me?
my mom 12 92.31%
me 1 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,763 times

Advertisements

hello my name is Celeste and i live in California
this is my first time on this so just go with it if it make no sense just continue reading.

ok here goes.

I am going to be 18 next year in June and will be starting my senior year in high school that August. Over this past year my mom keeps telling me that she is going to kick me out on my 18th birthday. i am a good kid who gets good grades is not in any trouble with the law ( i like helping the law) i don't do drugs i don't drink (except maybe one beer at a family event that i share with my aunt). my mom and i argue everyday more than once a day and they are really bad arguments. i am a person who likes to stand for what i believe in and i don't believe in a lot of things my mom do and people might say that this is a typical mother daughter relation ship but this one is not. So due to all of this constant arguing my mom is going to kick me out at 18. i do know that it is legal for my mom to kick me out at 18 but i guess my question is is it legal for her to kick me out at 18 but still be in high school? i would greatly appreciate if someone can let me know because i have been asking other people and they are telling a lot of different things. so i just need the correct answer.

thanks so much for taking your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 04:49 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,327,931 times
I'm sure there is a lot of missing info here and plenty that we're not being told. The bias is pretty evident so without hearing 'her' side, it's difficult to give a fair opinion.

That said however, 18 or not 18, as long as you are living under your parents roof and they are paying the bills, they pretty much get to call the shots. Sounds to me like you are trying to have it both ways -the 'freedom' of being an adult but the security of being a child at home. And it doesn't usually work that way. Not for long anyway.

You can be emancipated long before 18, so I don't think still being in HS is going to be your safety line. Sorry. But it isn't. You really only have two options: kiss and make up, shut up and listen, perhaps pony up some rent.

Or get ready to hit the bricks and fend for yourself.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:05 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,455,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecemarie16 View Post

i guess my question is is it legal for her to kick me out at 18 but still be in high school? i would greatly appreciate if someone can let me know because i have been asking other people and they are telling a lot of different things. so i just need the correct answer.

At 18 you will be an adult so you, and not you mother, will be responsible for everything you do after that point including going to school (or not). At 18 you will basically be a tenant in her house - living rent-free. But you're asking the wrong question.

Why are you giving your Mom reasons to kick you out of the house?

[house rules]

Old 08-23-2015, 05:21 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,021,320 times
Learn to hold your tongue and act nice. It's good practice for the working world.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:35 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,181,146 times
Stop arguing with your mom and hope she reconsiders. Being an angsty teenager who knows more than everyone else is a stereotype, not a legitimate personality.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecemarie16 View Post
hello my name is Celeste and i live in California
this is my first time on this so just go with it if it make no sense just continue reading.

ok here goes.

I am going to be 18 next year in June and will be starting my senior year in high school that August. Over this past year my mom keeps telling me that she is going to kick me out on my 18th birthday. i am a good kid who gets good grades is not in any trouble with the law ( i like helping the law) i don't do drugs i don't drink (except maybe one beer at a family event that i share with my aunt). my mom and i argue everyday more than once a day and they are really bad arguments. i am a person who likes to stand for what i believe in and i don't believe in a lot of things my mom do and people might say that this is a typical mother daughter relation ship but this one is not. So due to all of this constant arguing my mom is going to kick me out at 18. i do know that it is legal for my mom to kick me out at 18 but i guess my question is is it legal for her to kick me out at 18 but still be in high school? i would greatly appreciate if someone can let me know because i have been asking other people and they are telling a lot of different things. so i just need the correct answer.

Parents should love their children at all times. I have two of my own and a grandchild. As parents we have latent issues that we do not share with all people. Ask GOD to help your Mom and to give you something to help both of you to reach a family agreement that will bring harmony in your home.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,436 times
In this life we don't always understand what is going on. I can tell you that all of my major choices in life was given to the Lord and he directed my paths. As humans, we need more than our natural ability to sift through this maze of life. don't try to do it all by yourself. Always remember you have divine help if you use it, TALK TO GOD!!!

Old 08-23-2015, 05:52 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,172,866 times
I believe even if one turns 18 but is a senior in high school, legally parents have to continue to provide for said child until they graduate

Old 08-23-2015, 05:55 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,262,610 times
I have met a lot of people that say they are "a person who likes to stand for what i believe in" but they are generally just argumentative. It is likely you are not always right but too thick to accept other opinions or points of view.

I think your question embedded in this is whether it is legal for your mom to kick you out at 18 if you are in high school? Without knowing the background, I will say whether or not you are in high school has no bearing. Being 18 has a bearing.

Your best action is either make amends or alternative living arrangements. Sometimes the social justice warrior loses.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:37 PM

7,311 posts, read 6,909,134 times
There are a number of homes this is the rule due to several factors .
Mothers on welfare or receiving child support are cut off when the child becomes an adult .
Feeding another mouth , especially an antagnognistc one makes parenting all the more difficult.
My parents let me learn to fend for my self and get a job and work around the place to be a productive member of the house hold and society.
I did the same for my son ,and he does very well .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: