Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 12:53 AM

15 posts, read 12,213 times

Advertisements

Hi LA people! I need some advice. Here's a little info about my situation what I've come up with so far.

I was accepted to USC for spring semester as a transfer but have deferred my enrollment until fall 2016 because I really wasn't expecting to get in. In the mean time i'm going to just freak out about how I have to move from a suburb in NC to LA. Long story short...between what's left of my trust fund, a couple scholarships, money here and there from the parents, and the amazing financial aid package I received from USC..tuition isn't really the issue.

I plan on taking out a student loan of $12,000 to help with rent at least for the first year. I'm thinking about being a nanny since there are a few agencies that I've talked with about finding me a position like after school and weekends so I could probably make close to 3000 a month(pre tax) doing that...or i could be a server/bartender I guess. The more I make, the less financial aid I get the next year so I guess that kind of sucks but I just need to make sure I can afford a decent apartment not in a bad area...(will be looking for a roommate or two) so I would like my share to be no more than 1400. I also have a cellphone bill of 100,a car payment of about 300 but my parents pay my insurance for me(& occasionally let me charge gas to their BP card which helps) and I plan to keep my car registered in NC just to keep insurance/taxes down. I'm very lucky to have my parents willing to pay for some of my costs of moving out here and I'm really trying to keep my loan debt to a minimum. Overall I think i'm just worried about the high cost of living...especially this being my first experience living on my own. Do you think I could survive in LA or am I freaking out over nothing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 02:13 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,899,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevoyager View Post
The more I make, the less financial aid I get the next year so I guess that kind of sucks ...
Why does it "suck"? You do realize that you must pay back your student loans -- with interest?

And that student loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy? Which means that even if you go bankrupt, you're still legally obligated to pay off your student loans.

Many college graduates are burdened with so much student loan debt, they can't afford a mortgage for a house. Many can't even afford rent and have moved back in with parents. Their financial situation is worsened by them not being able to find a job that pays much, or in some cases, any job at all.

You'd be wise to borrow as little financial aid as possible. None at all, if you can manage it.

And major in a useful coarse, something in which you can find a job. No film, radio, or communications. No soft courses like gender studies, or medieval basket weaving, or sociology.

Quote:
I plan to keep my car registered in NC just to keep insurance/taxes down.
I'm not sure if you can legally do that. If you keep your car in California for over 30 consecutive days, you must register your car in California, and notify your insurance company of the same.

You might be able to go unnoticed, unless you're in an car accident. Then your NC insurance company might determine that you lied about where your car was used, and might void your policy. (I'm not sure about this, but I recommend you investigate the repercussions of this scenario.)

Old 08-28-2015, 02:45 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Those are wise words, CC, and I agree with all of them.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Why does it "suck"? You do realize that you must pay back your student loans -- with interest?

And that student loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy? Which means that even if you go bankrupt, you're still legally obligated to pay off your student loans.

Many college graduates are burdened with so much student loan debt, they can't afford a mortgage for a house. Many can't even afford rent and have moved back in with parents. Their financial situation is worsened by them not being able to find a job that pays much, or in some cases, any job at all.

You'd be wise to borrow as little financial aid as possible. None at all, if you can manage it.

And major in a useful coarse, something in which you can find a job. No film, radio, or communications. No soft courses like gender studies, or medieval basket weaving, or sociology.

I'm not sure if you can legally do that. If you keep your car in California for over 30 consecutive days, you must register your car in California, and notify your insurance company of the same.

You might be able to go unnoticed, unless you're in an car accident. Then your NC insurance company might determine that you lied about where your car was used, and might void your policy. (I'm not sure about this, but I recommend you investigate the repercussions of this scenario.)
I agree with you totally, plus people have to do their best to stop running up student loans and yes, do what the need to do so they won't graduate owing anymore than they need to. The part i don't agree, I think being an out of state student with her permanent residence in NC she can keep her registration there.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
congrats on getting into USC. It is a great school and when you graduate your degree will mean a lot when looking for a decent career. Now, my advise and it is just a personal opinion, I agree with CC, keep the debt down. Next, talk to USC housing about finding a decent place to live. I will tell you, if you do not know this: USC isn't in a great neighborhood. You might be smart to think of living on campus the first semester or year. As for working, try and keep the hours down, so you can enjoy your college years. Part of college is the memories you will have for life. Both what you learn from your classes and what you learn from the years you are in school will help form you for the rest of your life.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:18 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
^^^^the neighborhood has drastically changed in the surrounding blocks during the past 5 years.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:24 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree with you totally, plus people have to do their best to stop running up student loans and yes, do what the need to do so they won't graduate owing anymore than they need to. The part i don't agree, I think being an out of state student with her permanent residence in NC she can keep her registration there.
She can't do that. The car will be in CA, it needs to be registered in CA. It's quite possible she could pull a fast one, and get away with it, but you can't live in CA most of the year, drive in CA, and have the registered and insured like it is in NC.

OP, when do you plan on studying? Working as a nanny after school and on weekends, kids need attention. Same thing with a bartending job, these aren't positions where you can sit and study. Also in reality parents need help during the day when they're working more than at night and weekends.

Most nanny positions that bring in the kind of money you're talking about are for people who are nannies full time.

Congrats on getting into USC, but just because you're accepted doesn't mean you have to go.

And Cinema Cat brought up a lot of great points, especially about the car insurance. OP gets into an accident(doesn't matter whose fault it is) and you have a car registered and insured out of NC, and you never told the insurance company(which is what the OP is alluding to), they will not cover your claim and void policy....it's called FRAUD.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post

By financial aid i mean the gift aid from the school...the kind you don't pay back. USC meets financial need 100%. If your gift aid doesn't cover the full cost of tuition then that's when you start taking out loans. The more money me and my parents make the less gift aid I get and the more student loans I have to take out. They have the money to help me out with a few expenses but not tuition at USC. I think every insurance policy may be different...because i've heard 80000 different answers. I just don't know if I want to stay in LA after I graduate.

And I was accepted into the Price school at USC so i'll be a Policy, Planning and Development Major. I think ...i'll be able to work in Real Estate development or maybe City Planning. It's a one of a kind program and a lot of their students get good jobs after graduation. And I agree with you on majoring in something useful...I'm not moving across the country to waste my time getting an unemployable degree. I just read an article yesterday about a girl "selling" her Theatre degree from FSU for $50,000..I don't know what she thought she was going to do with that thing. Thanks for all of your helpful info!

Old 08-28-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
She can't do that. The car will be in CA, it needs to be registered in CA. It's quite possible she could pull a fast one, and get away with it, but you can't live in CA most of the year, drive in CA, and have the registered and insured like it is in NC.

OP, when do you plan on studying? Working as a nanny after school and on weekends, kids need attention. Same thing with a bartending job, these aren't positions where you can sit and study. Also in reality parents need help during the day when they're working more than at night and weekends.

Most nanny positions that bring in the kind of money you're talking about are for people who are nannies full time.

Congrats on getting into USC, but just because you're accepted doesn't mean you have to go.

And Cinema Cat brought up a lot of great points, especially about the car insurance. OP gets into an accident(doesn't matter whose fault it is) and you have a car registered and insured out of NC, and you never told the insurance company(which is what the OP is alluding to), they will not cover your claim and void policy....it's called FRAUD.
I'm studying Policy, Planning and Development with a Sustainable Planning Track. USC has a one of a kind program...I've yet to find a school that fits my academic and financial needs as well as USC does.

You'll be surprised at how much people are willing to pay an after school nanny. A full time nanny costs more than 3000 a month in LA. Sure there are a lot of people who need 8-5 nannies but then there are people who work late at night and want their kids to be involved in lots of activities and need help getting them around.

Regardless, I will have to work somewhere but nannying and serving are two things I've done before and enjoyed so I figured I could do it out there too.

Oh and now that I mention that I will be often driving kids around it may be best to insure my car in CA just so I have all my ducks in a row. I was probably being naive thinking it was okay to try to pull off something like that. Thanks everyone.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:55 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,636,449 times
Quote:
Hi LA people! I need some advice. Here's a little info about my situation what I've come up with so far.

I was accepted to USC for spring semester as a transfer but have deferred my enrollment until fall 2016 because I really wasn't expecting to get in. In the mean time i'm going to just freak out about how I have to move from a suburb in NC to LA. Long story short...between what's left of my trust fund, a couple scholarships, money here and there from the parents, and the amazing financial aid package I received from USC..tuition isn't really the issue.

I plan on taking out a student loan of $12,000 to help with rent at least for the first year. I'm thinking about being a nanny since there are a few agencies that I've talked with about finding me a position like after school and weekends so I could probably make close to 3000 a month(pre tax) doing that...or i could be a server/bartender I guess. The more I make, the less financial aid I get the next year so I guess that kind of sucks but I just need to make sure I can afford a decent apartment not in a bad area...(will be looking for a roommate or two) so I would like my share to be no more than 1400. I also have a cellphone bill of 100,a car payment of about 300 but my parents pay my insurance for me(& occasionally let me charge gas to their BP card which helps) and I plan to keep my car registered in NC just to keep insurance/taxes down. I'm very lucky to have my parents willing to pay for some of my costs of moving out here and I'm really trying to keep my loan debt to a minimum. Overall I think i'm just worried about the high cost of living...especially this being my first experience living on my own. Do you think I could survive in LA or am I freaking out over nothing?
Live in the dorm the first year you're at USC You'll meet friends that way and it will be easier to get acclimated to LA. Also, financial aid almost never covers the full cost of living off campus when you factor in things like commuting, etc. especially in an expensive place like LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: