Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 11:58 AM

85 posts, read 83,609 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting article regarding what L.A. County will look like in the near future.

5 ways Los Angeles County’s population is changing

I found this part the most interesting:

Latino Majority on the way

"While their growth has slowed in recent decades, Latinos will likely be the majority in Los Angeles County by 2020, experts say.

And since 2001, more than 60 percent of babies born in L.A. County have been Latino compared with more than 50 percent in the state. This generation is the future of California and thus it’s important to invest in it, said David Hayes-Bautista, professor of medicine and director of the Center for the Study of Latino Health and Culture at UCLA’s School of Medicine.

“Their educational levels and their employment opportunities set the economic tone for this region,” Hayes-Bautista said. “If they do well, we all do well. If they do poorly, we all do poorly.”

And the disparities are clear. Nearly 11 percent of Latino adults in California ages 25 or older have earned at least a bachelor’s degree compared with 30 percent of all Californians, 39 percent of whites, 23 percent of African-Americans and about 48 percent of Asian-Americans and Pacific Islanders, according to 2011 U.S. Census Bureau data."

I really hope Latinos do well in regards to education because only having 11% of Latino adults with at least a bachelor's degree is not a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 12:01 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,954,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDays123 View Post
Latino Majority on the way
“Their educational levels and their employment opportunities set the economic tone for this region,” Hayes-Bautista said. “If they do well, we all do well. If they do poorly, we all do poorly.”
This logic is flawed. If they do poorly, they will move away to cities or states they can economically afford and where education is not a priority.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
This logic is flawed. If they do poorly, they will move away to cities or states they can economically afford and where education is not a priority.
California is very generous with welfare programs so I do not see them going anywhere. I prefer them to get educated and succeed as any other American.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:40 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,164,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
The reality is that Hispanics will typically work for much lower wages so areas with large Hispanic populations, like Los Angeles county, have depressed wages. When Hispanics start getting paid more it will increase wages in the entire area.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:39 PM

8,430 posts, read 10,846,122 times
"While their growth has slowed in recent decades, Latinos will likely be the majority in Los Angeles County by 2020, experts say."

I respectfully disagree with this statement.
When the new administration takes office after the 2016 election, a strong deportation policy will be in effect, and many in the Hispanic community will be gone, and those remaining will be a low percentage compared to other ethnic groups.
As well, sanctuary cities in the state will be a thing of the past, which will also drive the Hispanic population from California, and that is the realistic look at the future of California, and Los Angeles in particular.

Bob.

Old 08-29-2015, 05:52 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,164,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
"While their growth has slowed in recent decades, Latinos will likely be the majority in Los Angeles County by 2020, experts say."

When the new administration takes office after the 2016 election, a strong deportation policy will be in effect, and many in the Hispanic community will be gone, and those remaining will be a low percentage compared to other ethnic groups.
As well, sanctuary cities in the state will be a thing of the past, which will also drive the Hispanic population from California, and that is the realistic look at the future of California, and Los Angeles in particular.

Bob.
Hahaha! Oh wow!

Old 08-29-2015, 06:53 PM

317 posts, read 401,245 times
Quote:

Bob.
Ha yea.

I find it funny how many people hate "illegals". Last I checked the USA was built up entirely from immigrants. Its like they are mad at Mexicans for stealing jobs and getting freebies when we did the same in the 1700's by stealing land from the native "americans".

Old 08-29-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:

Bob.
I guarantee you that whoever winds up as POTUS will not be deporting anyone. Trump is merely playing into the fears of the crazies. The vast majority of Americans support a pathway to citizenship.

In U.S., 65% Favor Path to Citizenship for Illegal Immigrants

Old 08-29-2015, 08:13 PM

6,330 posts, read 7,676,913 times
No matter who sits in the Oval Office, this country will continue to have open borders. The Democrats like them because it enhances its voter base. The Republicans like them because they provide companies with inexpensive labor.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:20 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,493,734 times
I know a Latina who has only a high school education, but she served in the Marine Corps and now she's an LAPD officer. Not all careers require a bachelor's degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: