Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 04:03 PM

496 posts, read 574,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I agree. The poster from ATL said it best. Maybe 20 years ago it was LA NYC SF or bust, but a lot of cities have caught up and offer comparable amenities for cheaper. They're also offering competitive wages in certain boom sectors that are greater than the average cost of living so it's even better for most that get into the top fields. Employers want to attract talent and the job pool is smaller so wages are higher than average. That in itself is ab experience that many young native Angelenos don't know anything about living in high cost city with stagnant wages.

But that's what I've been saying and why I love LA but still see its flaws. I also think some of the posters in here came from really small towns or hard hit older rust belt cities in the northeast or Midwest. They think all cities east of Needles are Podunk-ish or are light years behind LA.

Isn't it great to know though that there are other options in case LA doesn't work out for whatever reason? That other cities are developing fast with ample job growth and low cost of living? That always makes me feel great that it's not one city or bust. I can enjoy LA all I want without having that I can't go home mentality.
very true BUT nothing will change the weather in other places tho.............the weather in so-cal is the ONLY thing that other regions can't duplicate (i dont want snow, frosty temperatures, or humidity).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 04:10 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_elise_ View Post
very true BUT nothing will change the weather in other places tho.............the weather in so-cal is the ONLY thing that other regions can't duplicate (i dont want snow, frosty temperatures, or humidity).
No arguing here. The weather is the best thing about LA.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:48 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caragitana View Post
Very nice house. Well worth it and I do wish you the best of luck.
It's amazing when people assume that places like Knoxville, Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh and
Atlanta are "Podunk"
I hesitantly left LA due to a job promotion a decade+ ago. The comments people made were not pretty. I was content in LA and never thought of leaving but we sold the house and ventured to metro Atlanta.
Fast forward to today and the majority of the people I knew have relocated for the same reasons you state. I do miss many things LA but we lack of nothing we had back home and we visit often.
We've done well in ATL and our kids are happy and well adjusted living the suburban cliché.
House is paid off, gulf coast beach getaways, jet ski on the lake 6 miles from home, nonstop flights everywhere. There's every national chain (and local) restaurant, venue, night club and department store you would ever need and the entertainment industry is booming (40 TV series & movies currently being filmed here).
Diversity - everyone here is a transplant which makes it even more interesting.
The weather is good - about 8 months of outdoor weather the rest vary between sweater, jacket or coat weather.
We always want more but as long as we are healthy, happy and financially stable
I can't ask for a better place (for now).

Best of luck to you and never look back.
Thank you!

Old 09-07-2015, 11:07 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caragitana View Post
Very nice house. Well worth it and I do wish you the best of luck.
It's amazing when people assume that places like Knoxville, Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh and
Atlanta are "Podunk"
I hesitantly left LA due to a job promotion a decade+ ago. The comments people made were not pretty. I was content in LA and never thought of leaving but we sold the house and ventured to metro Atlanta.
Fast forward to today and the majority of the people I knew have relocated for the same reasons you state. I do miss many things LA but we lack of nothing we had back home and we visit often.
We've done well in ATL and our kids are happy and well adjusted living the suburban cliché.
House is paid off, gulf coast beach getaways, jet ski on the lake 6 miles from home, nonstop flights everywhere. There's every national chain (and local) restaurant, venue, night club and department store you would ever need and the entertainment industry is booming (40 TV series & movies currently being filmed here).
Diversity - everyone here is a transplant which makes it even more interesting.
The weather is good - about 8 months of outdoor weather the rest vary between sweater, jacket or coat weather.
We always want more but as long as we are healthy, happy and financially stable
I can't ask for a better place (for now).

Best of luck to you and never look back.

The weather is good? LOL, I guess if you like it hot, sticky, and gross than the weather is good in Atlanta, I tried the southeast for a few years, found the humidity after living in drier climates awful, and no you don't get used to it, you try dodging it as much as possible.

I remember trying to take a walk after the sun went down(though the temps unlike LA didn't go down much), and sweating(and no I'm not overweight), it was gross. Also learned pretty quick don't stick your hand in the mailbox, you never know what crawled into it.

The person you're referring to has nothing really to look back on, living somewhere a year isn't giving him much to look back on.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The weather is good? LOL, I guess if you like it hot, sticky, and gross than the weather is good in Atlanta, I tried the southeast for a few years, found the humidity after living in drier climates awful, and no you don't get used to it, you try dodging it as much as possible.

I remember trying to take a walk after the sun went down(though the temps unlike LA didn't go down much), and sweating(and no I'm not overweight), it was gross. Also learned pretty quick don't stick your hand in the mailbox, you never know what crawled into it.

The person you're referring to has nothing really to look back on, living somewhere a year isn't giving him much to look back on.
You must have been bullied and constantly beat up when you were a child. I just can't understand why you and your pals just keep on with the bait.

First of all, and I've said this before, people (you included) use the weather as such a HUGGGGEE crutch out here, and it's laughable. Is it amazing weather? Yes. Does the rest of the nation sit inside and have no lives just because there's this plague/poison in the air known as humidity? NO.

Do you think that in Miami (or anywhere in Florida) that people don't go to the beach, sail, go boating, fish, eat outside, walk from their cars to the store, just because god forbid their skin will melt off and they will die from this godforsaken thing known as humidity?

Humidity is uncomfortable, yes. But it doesn't stop people from living their lives, and IT'S NOT worth paying 400% more to not deal with it.

We get it. SoCal has the best weather, I agree. But the rest of the nation doesn't sit inside, crying just because they don't have Los Angeles weather, and god forbid they have to walk outside and face it. So many boosters here act like humidity is mustard gas.

Atlanta is a great city, it actually reminds me of a mini-Los Angeles. But no, just because the air is sticky and it's hot it's a total dump, just like everywhere else in the nation other than precious SoCal.

Also, you have no basis to say I have nothing to look back on. I stopped responding because this just isn't going anywhere but this post was just ridiculous.

I have LOTS of wonderful things to look back on. I'm just choosing to get out because at the end of the day I am not as happy as I'd prefer, and am just done paying these outrageous prices to live here when I can enjoy a much better quality of life elsewhere--as long as my skin doesn't melt off and I don't die from humidity.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:29 PM

Other places exist outside of Los Angeles, and, believe it or not, people are plenty happy there. They don't cry and have hissy fits because they don't live here.

I agree that the weather is perfect, but there are SO MANY NEGATIVES here that negate it.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:37 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
Then go and be happy with Atlanta. We don't go to Atlanta's forum to talk crap about it.

I don't know why people come to California's and Los Angeles' forums to argue. It's some kind of stupid obsession or insecurity.

We don't care what you think.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:43 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Other places exist outside of Los Angeles, and, believe it or not, people are plenty happy there. They don't cry and have hissy fits
Persecution complex AND blissfully self-aware. Can't tell you how much we're miss you. I hope you find happiness, real soon.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Persecution complex AND blissfully self-aware. Can't tell you how much we're miss you. I hope you find happiness, real soon.
Lol, all I originally said was that QOL is top notch out here if you're rich, and that if you're anything other, you don't really live the life you should deserve, unless renting for life is your idea of security.

It's pretty much a FACT that the middle class is (being) priced out of Los Angeles. Name call and be passive aggressive all you want, but it's the truth.

If I won the lottery or woke up with 10M in the bank, the first place I'd come is back here.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:48 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
If one can pay the freight... LA has a lot to offer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles