Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 10:33 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times

Advertisements

Very high quality of life. From weather, jobs, to food, to culture.

No place is perfect for everyone, but LA does have plenty of boxes checked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 01:32 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times
Los Angeles offers a one-of-a-kind quality of life. Whether or not you can take advantage of it as much as you want to is a different question.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:45 PM

55 posts, read 90,504 times
to answer the OP…noooo

its great if youre young with dreams.

only move here if you HAVE to be here, entertainment industry, etc..
other than that, its an ok place to visit but I'm starting to learn living here is rather pointless after awhile.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:56 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Los Angeles offers a one-of-a-kind quality of life. Whether or not you can take advantage of it as much as you want to is a different question.
this is the best answer so far. LA provides opportunities that can't be found anywhere else in the world. Having said that, many of these opportunities are out of reach for many. If you are properly trained and educated and acquire the financial means, LA can be a fantastic place to live.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:50 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
I would imagine most people in LA don't need to drive 10 minutes to get to the nearest grocery store (except for the very poor food-desert areas). In fact I would imagine more living within a 10 minute walk than have to drive 10 minutes - that being said even those that live within a 10 minute walk will choose to drive anyways.

It's also a huge over-generalization to say you have to drive to do anything here. Simply untrue, take a look at how busy the system is on sporting event days or big concerts/music festivals. Even the Observatory and Hollywood Bowl have a shuttles from the Red Line.

As far as not having a clear center - in some ways it is a hindrance to QOL and in other ways it is a huge advantage. I don't think there is any other city in the country that has as much going on outside of city limits as Los Angeles - Santa Monica, Pasadena, Burbank, Glendale, Beach Cities, Long Beach allow even the most suburban neighborhoods to have access to vibrant, walkable, urban areas. The downside is this multinodality plays a huge part in creating the everywhere-to-everywhere all-times-of-the-day traffic LA has. That's not to say LA could certainly use an improved core, which is slowly (quickly, lately) starting to materialize.

I'd say that of the cities in California, the LA-area offers the best quality of life for me and my family. The Bay Area is a tad more expensive (especially if you want to enjoy the walkable areas that are inexplicably heralded while LA's are ignored) and has a fraction less to offer culturally.

I can see that for a lot of people the QOL in LA is not good. For me it is. QOL is really a hard thing to measure in broad terms - everyone values different things.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:01 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,667,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
LA offers high quality pollution and smog.
and fakeness

Old 08-31-2015, 07:22 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I would imagine most people in LA don't need to drive 10 minutes to get to the nearest grocery store (except for the very poor food-desert areas). In fact I would imagine more living within a 10 minute walk than have to drive 10 minutes - that being said even those that live within a 10 minute walk will choose to drive anyways.

It's also a huge over-generalization to say you have to drive to do anything here. Simply untrue, take a look at how busy the system is on sporting event days or big concerts/music festivals. Even the Observatory and Hollywood Bowl have a shuttles from the Red Line.

As far as not having a clear center - in some ways it is a hindrance to QOL and in other ways it is a huge advantage. I don't think there is any other city in the country that has as much going on outside of city limits as Los Angeles - Santa Monica, Pasadena, Burbank, Glendale, Beach Cities, Long Beach allow even the most suburban neighborhoods to have access to vibrant, walkable, urban areas. The downside is this multinodality plays a huge part in creating the everywhere-to-everywhere all-times-of-the-day traffic LA has. That's not to say LA could certainly use an improved core, which is slowly (quickly, lately) starting to materialize.

I'd say that of the cities in California, the LA-area offers the best quality of life for me and my family. The Bay Area is a tad more expensive (especially if you want to enjoy the walkable areas that are inexplicably heralded while LA's are ignored) and has a fraction less to offer culturally.

I can see that for a lot of people the QOL in LA is not good. For me it is. QOL is really a hard thing to measure in broad terms - everyone values different things.
The multinodality also decreases traffic congestion. Can you imagine if all of century city, santa monica, pasadena, etc. jobs were in DTLA? Rush hour would be a clusterf**k of epic proportions.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:12 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
I think the quality of life is excellent. My question is, why would you live here if yours isn't? It's a big country, ya know.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:19 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
The QOL available to those with deep pockets is very high in LA.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:39 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,851 times
QOL is top notch out here if you're rich, whereas the upper-middle and middle class lives like the poor here. One of the reasons we are gone ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles