Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 09:45 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROFILE CLIMB View Post
Life is hard without a car, as LA is so spread out, as far as making friends, well that is a challenge as people here are not very trusting.
In my view, its not that we are not trusting but how many transplants can one take at a time? Especially the ones that don't like LA. When somebody tells me they don't like it here why would I be there friend? I'm more willing to help you out if you want to be helped. A lot of people I meet that move here just plain have terrible attitudes and they don't want to admit that they are the problem not the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 10:53 PM

7 posts, read 8,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
With women, it's mostly a defense against being harassed. I know my wife puts on her public transit face whenever riding. Does not matter what city.
Munchitup you are so right.

Women in Los Angeles bruh, they only like to sit around other women or they would rather stand than sit by a man or anybody for that matter, UNLESS the bus or train is super crowded and they have no choice but to sit by a man.

A lot of women in LA have been butt humped (so to speak) and dogged out by their jobs, the economy, family and friends, men in their past and present that they build up this impenetrable wall against men and society.

That whole paragraph that I just threw out is a by-product of the self and cultural segregation that people in LA are on. It's 2015 and these Latinos, Blacks (yes I'm Black and proud), Asians, and Whites in LA are still on that self and racial segregation crap on public transportation. People only sit by each other or near someone because the train or bus is crowded. SMH.

Women out here are REALLY bitchy or untrusting of people outside their own family or circle of friends, so they transfer that attitude on to public transportation in LA. I don't blame them to a certain extent because Los Angeles has a ton of knuckleheads, child molesters, sex offenders, and just some savage a** dudes out here. But damn if a seat is open, sit there!! If you don't want someone talking to you, put on your headphones and listen to your IPod or cellphone with music playing capabilities.

Last edited by Miami Vice Finatic; 09-07-2015 at 11:35 PM..

Old 09-08-2015, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice Finatic View Post

Women in Los Angeles bruh, they only like to sit around other women or they would rather stand than sit by a man or anybody for that matter, UNLESS the bus or train is super crowded and they have no choice but to sit by a man.

A lot of women in LA have been butt humped (so to speak) and dogged out by their jobs, the economy, family and friends, men in their past and present that they build up this impenetrable wall against men and society.

That whole paragraph that I just threw out is a by-product of the self and cultural segregation that people in LA are on. It's 2015 and these Latinos, Blacks (yes I'm Black and proud), Asians, and Whites in LA are still on that self and racial segregation crap on public transportation. People only sit by each other or near someone because the train or bus is crowded. SMH.

Women out here are REALLY bitchy or untrusting of people outside their own family or circle of friends, so they transfer that attitude on to public transportation in LA. I don't blame them to a certain extent because Los Angeles has a ton of knuckleheads, child molesters, sex offenders, and just some savage a** dudes out here. But damn if a seat is open, sit there!! If you don't want someone talking to you, put on your headphones and listen to your IPod or cellphone with music playing capabilities.
I'm a black guy and I wouldn't want to sit next to you either with that attitude towards women.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:43 AM

128 posts, read 139,031 times
I agree most LA women have a wall up, unless they want something from you, but most are unapproachable.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROFILE CLIMB View Post
I agree most LA women have a wall up, unless they want something from you, but most are unapproachable.
compared to where? Southern Bells who smile in your face but still wouldn't give you the time of day? LOL....

Old 09-08-2015, 06:29 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,436,952 times
Quote:
Me personally, I've lived in Los Angeles since 2007 and I've rode the bus and trains all while I've been here. Nobody takes me around and I NEVER ask for rides from people I know, I'm just independent like that.

Also on the trains and buses in LA, it's every unlikely you'll hook up with future friends because everybody is into themselves.

Los Angeles people would rather look on their cellphones and IPod's, up in the sky or look down at the ground rather than to have a simple conversation or eye contact with another human being. Or they'll stand or sit in a corner or distant area of a bus, train, or open space and be real standoffish and acting like some little biotch or cliquish high school kid.

Many people in Los Angeles period, practice self and cultural/racial segregation and will only pay attention to someone other than themselves or culture if they know you from work, school, you're their relative, their girlfriend or boyfriend, and being around you can benefit them monetarily or socially.

My advice is push yourself hard to make it in the film industry because there is NO better place in the world to make it in showbiz than in NY or LA, trust me. Even if you don't go to USC (University of Southern California) try to network with some of the students and industry folks that hang around that school during the school year and see how far you'll get. Plus I would advise you to subscribe or just buy a copy from time to time this showbiz mag called Backstage which has so much casting calls, etc. for aspiring showbiz people. Go to their Facebook page too because there is TONS of info and helpful stuff on there.

But in five years or less if you don't see yourself making much of a dent or you're unhappy with your place in showbiz in LA, then go to NY. But in NY people are even more colder and standoffish than LA people. It's up to you.

I'm from the east coast. It's worse over there. Try dc.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:31 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,436,952 times
Nobody is openly social on public transportation to strangers. Its not a LA thing at all.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:11 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Nobody is openly social on public transportation to strangers. Its not a LA thing at all.
Seriously. People are friendlier here on PT than any other city I've ridden (CHI, BOS, NYC).

I've never noticed racial segregation on the trains or buses here at all. Most of the time the cars or buses are too crowded for riders to be a able to pick and choose where they sit.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:11 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,641 times
Quote:

Based on this post, I don't believe you know what you're talking about. And I'm Black, too. This segregation thing you're talking about.... I don't see it.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:21 PM

7 posts, read 8,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Based on this post, I don't believe you know what you're talking about. And I'm Black, too. This segregation thing you're talking about.... I don't see it.
How are you going to tell me something I know about a town I've lived in on an off since 1989? And yes, you don't see it because I'm pretty sure you're such a robot for your job, your clique of friends and family, and money chasing that you don't see or care about what is going on around you.

Instead of trying to act like you understand what time it is in LA or what I wrote, why did you respond? You have no idea what you're talking about.

I've been all over all over LA and a lot of these ethnic groups out here would rather be around their own people UNLESS they are in mediums (like showbiz, certain jobs, etc.) that require them to be well-rounded or able to mix in with other cultures.

You and jamills21 aren't smart enough to pick that up. How many of the people you know out here, or call friends or acquaintances that are not Black that would hang around you if y'all didn't work together, go to school together, etc. I thought so.

I lived in South LA for a while and them Blacks over there TOLERATED Latinos over there because they lived around each other. I never really saw Blacks over there just go up to Latinos and start a friendly conversation, get friendly with their Latino brethren or really have a lot (if any) of Latino friends. And vise-versa. See, you two and a lot of people on this forum aren't intuitive enough (if at all) to see what time it is with people here.

People out here tolerate each other. And if you were smart you would know that. I've lived in Downey, Norwalk, South LA, the Valley, etc. on and off since 1989 and can't nobody really tell me s*** about LA that I don't know about or can't find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles