Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 03:38 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,691 times

Advertisements

no its too sunny and hot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 03:41 PM

600 posts, read 824,760 times
The biggest thing is the heat is dry unlike FL or TX. After dealing with very humid summers, the dry heat makes a huge difference.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:41 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by federalist. View Post
Hello, recent transplant from Boston here. When people ask me about moving to LA, why do so many of them assume that I'm loving the weather here?

In Boston, I felt comfortable spending entire days outdoors. Yes it gets hot in summer, but the cooling effect of greenspace and shade from trees and tall buildings made it bearable. Here (in the South Bay), I feel as though I have to take refuge in air-conditioned buildings. Hiking, gardening, even walking across the parking lot to my car feel like chores...

Do LA natives actually like highs in the 80s and 90s? The harsh UV? The concrete-asphalt landscape and heat-island effect?
I have spent the previous 4 summers in LA and loved the weather. This year I stayed in NYC and am still here. It was absolutely disgusting. Today especially was like being in a sauna (literally) from 7 AM this morning. NEVER experienced weather this oppressive in LA. Or Las Vegas for that matter. East Coast summers and winters are the ABSOLUTE worst.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:53 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Mr. Dublin: while your points are valid, I still stand by what I said which was that when you live here a long time you realize that the prolonged sunshine and dryness isn't good when it lasts for months that's what I am saying. Do you realize that this state is a severe drought? Let's agree to disagreeI am no fan of South FL weather but that does not mean I think S. CA is perfect. Actually San Francisco is good because there is more precipitation up there and the summers aren't oppressively hot. Then of course, there's a reason that it costs so much to live there.

Hey, I'm Irish and love cloud cover and rain. I agree with what you're saying. But if I have to have heat I will take a dry heat any day over humidity.

The point is, while the current heat wave is oppressive, it will pass. It beats living somewhere that is oppressive for months both day and night. At least here even on the hottest of days there is a nice cool down at night.

I remember being on flight one July from LA to Tampa, the woman behind me(CA native) had never been to FL, I said "oh you're in for a treat, brace yourself", those around us laughed.

Yes, I'm well aware of the drought. And do my part to conserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
I have spent the previous 4 summers in LA and loved the weather. This year I stayed in NYC and am still here. It was absolutely disgusting. Today especially was like being in a sauna (literally) from 7 AM this morning. NEVER experienced weather this oppressive in LA. Or Las Vegas for that matter. East Coast summers and winters are the ABSOLUTE worst.
Exactly, nothing like starting the day at 8am and it's already 85 degrees and muggy.

Had a wedding to attend one summer in NY. Great fun in formal attire. I kept thinking they couldn't get married in October? LOL.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:09 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
I was raised in Ohio and I can recall watching the Rose Parade on New Years Day each year. We would point in stunned silence and then exclaim, "Look, they're wearing T-SHIRTS!". So, I loved LA weather before I even got here. I do enjoy a good rainstorm from time to time, but I work outdoors, so the good weather helps my productivity. The only possible improvement would be a move to San Diego, but business is better here.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:32 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,394,411 times
I have been in Boston during the summer and it blow chunks compared to LA summers. Let's not even talk about the winters. Unless you love ice, snow and freezing temps, it is no contest.

Though this summer in LA has been about the worst I can remember in years....still beats just about any other place in the continental U.S.A.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:09 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,669,748 times
I miss rain and storms A LOT. There's nothing like a rainy, stormy Saturday where you sit inside and eat junk and watch movies.

Other than that, I do love the weather here. Always pleasant and pretty. The monotony of it does get kind of boring sometimes, though.

I will say, though, that humidity isn't the mustard gas that some people make it out to be. I guess I can understand the complaints coming from natives who have never experienced it, but yeah.

I survived 32 years of Tennessee summers and never had any complaints. It never affected my quality of life (and it doesn't the rest of the nation, either, regardless of what some say). Florida has extremely high humidity yet is the 3rd most populous state.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:15 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,202 times
...why do you need a storm to stay inside and watch movies on a Saturday?

Old 09-09-2015, 10:17 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Though this summer in LA has been about the worst I can remember in years....still beats just about any other place in the continental U.S.A.
I live in the valley and I would say the absolute opposite. Outside of a few short stretches of 100+ days, the weather this summer has been quite mild compared to the last few summers. While the humidity is higher than years before, it has only been oppressive during one of the heat waves (late June IIRC). normally in the summer, i would expect mid 90s from late June through mid Sept. This years it's been mostly high 80s, with many more cloudy days than usual this late into summer.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:22 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,669,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
...why do you need a storm to stay inside and watch movies on a Saturday?
It makes it more fun! (And you feel less guilty for being lazy and eating terribly, lol.)

There's nothing like a lazy, stormy day every once in a while. I'd say most people not from here would somewhat, if not all-out, agree with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles