Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 02:36 PM

98 posts, read 161,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Agreed. It is very nice.

My husband is from Rochester, NY, and hell would freeze over before I'd move there. Winters are disgusting there. For Pete's sake, we went to a wedding there at the end of April this year and it was 30 degrees. REALLY? The ceremony was even outside (wtf)!
hehe yea people up around here wear shorts and tshirts when its that cold. we're weirdos like that.

having lived in both san diego and other places i honestly see the appeal of both. good weather (albeit on the hot side when i was there) in san diego, but i also really like colder(not freezing) but cold, rainy type weather too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 06:00 PM

8,234 posts, read 13,321,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by federalist. View Post
I love seeing the leaves transform to flaming colors and hearing and feeling the cool rustling wind. I find nothing more peaceful than the silence of falling snow; it mutes out all city sounds. Then seeing trees bloom with new leaves in neon-green. By summer, the air is humid but heavy with the fragrance of magnolia blossoms and wild tulips. The seasons in New England are a feast for the eyes, nose, and ears.
Thank you for the wonderfully vivid picture you created in my head!
It has been decades seen I have seen and enjoyed such scenery.

I cannot wait to win the lottery jackpot so I can hop on my bike and cruise the the entire country, maybe even the entire continent! I need a vacation badly!

Old 09-10-2015, 06:39 PM

3,841 posts, read 4,493,456 times
Quote:
No kidding, I don't mind the heat as much as the intense sun! Images from Lawrence of Arabia are conjured up. "This is the sun's anvil."

It's interesting how different people tolerate different types of climates.
My aunt and uncle moved to Phoenix from Houston to retire and couldn't stand the "unrelenting sun".
Soooo... they moved BACK to Houston! Yup, they like it there better. They like the variety of the summer storms, claim they cool things off, and claim they are actually more comfortable there!

My niece who lives in Florida and came here for a visit in July when we had a weekend of heat and humidity and everybody was talking about it! She said she got off the plane and didn't even notice it because she's so used to the Florida climate! She did say that she's pretty sick of Florida weather though.

My brother lives outside of Redding where it gets crazy hot! Sun and hot from May to September/October. Over 100 is standard there, but it's a drier heat. To him, a day in the 90's is a "nice day". I'm dying.
But he grew up in Chicago, Michigan and Wisconsin and aside from the weather he didn't care for, he had terrible allergies there. He said moving to California was heaven to him!

I love seeing the leaves transform to flaming colors and hearing and feeling the cool rustling wind. I find nothing more peaceful than the silence of falling snow; it mutes out all city sounds. Then seeing trees bloom with new leaves in neon-green. By summer, the air is humid but heavy with the fragrance of magnolia blossoms and wild tulips. The seasons in New England are a feast for the eyes, nose, and ears.

Nice! Very poetic... while I've been "up to the snow" as a child, it was mostly slush when we went. It was on Cape Cod where I saw actual snowflakes falling for the first time during our honeymoon. My English husband said he'll never forget the look on my face. A short time later we moved up to the mountains and lived there for a few years. I loved watching the snow fall! So pretty and peaceful! Within about a month of first moving up there, this California native went from bundling up with multiple layers and scarves and gloves, (geesh, it was only about 30 degrees!) to just grabbing my jacket.
I'm "BOLD"

Old 09-11-2015, 01:56 PM

51,904 posts, read 52,306,082 times
Ca native here.

I love the weather here, except for the last several days, the humidity has been high as hell, for here anyways.

I'm a mile or so from the ocean and I'm sitting here sweating like a big dawg the last few days, enough with the damn humidity......

Jeez already...

Old 09-11-2015, 02:17 PM

16 posts, read 27,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Agreed. It is very nice.

I do not miss winter ONE BIT, however. We are relocating back to TN sometime around Thanksgiving; not looking forward to 4-5 days of grey skies and being chilly right when we get back. That said, winters there are very mild and more of an annoyance than anything. (Avg highs in mid-upper 40s, lows around freezing.). It is fun when it occasionally snows bc the entire city shuts down like an apocalypse, and the mountains and skiing are 40 mins away.

But it's really not bad. Like clockwork, my boat goes into the water third week of March and I don't take her out until mid October. That's 8 solid months of boating and tanning, being in the sun, etc.

My husband is from Rochester, NY, and hell would freeze over before I'd move there. Winters are disgusting there. For Pete's sake, we went to a wedding there at the end of April this year and it was 30 degrees. REALLY? The ceremony was even outside (wtf)!
Since when are HIGH temps in the 40s considered "very mild" ? TN doesn't get brutally cold like some states, but it can get quite chilly. It was below 0 on a couple of nights last winter and there were some days when the high temp didn't get above 25.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:17 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,639,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tas80 View Post
Since when are HIGH temps in the 40s considered "very mild" ? TN doesn't get brutally cold like some states, but it can get quite chilly. It was below 0 on a couple of nights last winter and there were some days when the high temp didn't get above 25.
I hate winters more than anyone, but in Knoxville they are, on average, mild. It might snow once or twice, and occasionally it does get very cold. These last two winters where it did get into the single digits were an anomaly (just like winter was everywhere else on the east coast with the polar vortexes). The whole city shut down; pipes were bursting everywhere and everyone with heat pumps (bc that's what many have for heat bc it just doesn't get that cold enough there to need gas heat) were freezing in their homes, myself included.

But in general, they aren't bad, at all. Just more annoying than anything. I'm hardly ever in a heavy jacket during winters there.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:14 AM

26,596 posts, read 26,491,347 times
Quote:
Do LA natives actually like highs in the 80s and 90s? The harsh UV?
Surely you're aware that the weather we've had in the past year is not normal for southern CA. 2014 was considered the hottest year on record for L.A. (And 2015 to date feels as if it's been even warmer.)

It's official! Summer of 2014 was hottest on record - LA Times

Old 09-13-2015, 04:13 PM

14,206 posts, read 11,474,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
(And 2015 to date feels as if it's been even warmer.)
Oh, I have to disagree. This last week was brutal, for sure. And there were a couple other brief heat waves earlier in the summer, but on the whole, I thought the temperatures were much more mild than usual.

Does anyone have actual data to compare?

Old 09-13-2015, 05:12 PM

26,596 posts, read 26,491,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Oh, I have to disagree. This last week was brutal, for sure. And there were a couple other brief heat waves earlier in the summer, but on the whole, I thought the temperatures were much more mild than usual.
Mild? Perhaps you live by the beach?

According to this link, in Los Angeles, every month except May of 2015 had a higher mean temperature than that of 2014.
Los Angeles, California (90001) Conditions & Forecast | Weather Underground

Old 09-13-2015, 07:30 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,480,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Surely you're aware that the weather we've had in the past year is not normal for southern CA. 2014 was considered the hottest year on record for L.A. (And 2015 to date feels as if it's been even warmer.)

It's official! Summer of 2014 was hottest on record - LA Times
that's true but we DO have many days with highs in the 80s and 90s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles