Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 09:11 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times

Advertisements

Haters gonna hate yo

Old 09-10-2015, 09:24 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,344,803 times
Come to the dark side, we have cookies !

Old 09-10-2015, 09:30 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I wasn't arguing against that. I was just saying that it's crazy that Manhattan is cheaper. Never though I'd ever see that
Parts of Manhattan can be a lot cheaper than other parts .
Similar in the LA area too.
A beachfront ocean view 1 bedroom versus a 1 bedroom apartment in Panarama City for example
There could be a 300 percent or more price difference between the two rentals.

I've also heard some people were moving out of parts of Brooklyn to Manhattan because it had gotten cheaper.

There is also a big premium paid in LA for newer construction rentals versus older .

I saw this in hollywood where I was living in an older building across from an Avalon building .
I was pretty shocked when I looked at prices online ... It was like 2x what I was paying .. For literally across the street.
I'm guessing most of these units are rented by younger transplants that found the place online before they moved . Probably googled hollywood apartments and found their website .. And not knowing the area probably saw it as a safe bet.,
It was funny the difference in Demographics
My building was all like Russian senior citizens while that building was all like younger people that mostly looked to be in their 20s

Old 09-10-2015, 09:34 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
I have noticed a very obvious one way hate from SF/NorCal towards LA. Here's a perfect example:

What the author wrote:
And Los Angeles, with its silicone breasts, fine Mexican food, sprawling beaches and never-ending strips of strip malls has a scent that just no other city in the world can match
San Francisco Stinks But Not as Bad as Los Angeles | NBC Bay Area

Now what was really written by GQ:

L.A. is one of the most bizarre places on Earth, and it has an equally singular smell. The clear, alluring track of its scent is arresting. There's the ocean breeze from Santa Monica that can travel as far East as Silver Lake; a dry desert air that comes West over Downtown and South Central; the astringent balm of eucalyptus, pine, honeysuckle, and jasmine from the hills; and car exhaust from catalytic converters, which is, in its strange industrial way, beautiful. It's like the jolt of a drug: shifting, comforting, cool like a blanket. The lonely smell of the marine layer burns off and you get this flashy perfume of hot asphalt, engines, and sun block that you can find nowhere but in L.A.

Los Angeles Is Smelliest City On The Planet, According To GQ

Why does SF always take shots at LA? Inferiority complex?
A false sense of superiority. At this point the Bay Area is every bit as sprawling, traffic-riddled and vapid (app developer culture) as Southern California.

And at least in LA you can live in a cool neighborhood and not have to be a six-figure tech nerd (at least for now). I'm thinking places like Highland Park, Lincoln Heights (LOT of punks live out there these days), East Hollywood (ditto), and even parts of South LA. The equivalent areas in Oakland have rents akin to Central Hollywood, Miracle Mile, etc. And we are really benefiting from it - quite a few of my favorite artists have moved down to LA.

And anyways, the other of that post is an idiot because the GQ thing wasn't about which city smells the worst, but what city has the most "smells".

Old 09-10-2015, 09:45 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Little Brother Syndrome™
Nailed it. In terms of non transplants, the "old money" and Pacific Heights natives have never been able to accept that the old order of the 19th Century where SF was the largest city west of the Rockies has long ago faded away.

In terms of transplants, unlike LA / SoCal which tends to attract a very wide variety, we seem to be magnet up here for a particular type of Ivy grad who begrudgingly will determine "well, if I must leave the Great East, it shall be San Francisco." In their mental map, SF is like some sort of outpost of what they deem Eastern-ness. You'd never catch one of this latter type going to the Grand National Rodeo or appreciating the Old Californio charm of an adobe with terra cotta roof and wonderful enclosed patio. Oh and they hate palm trees and do not appreciate the old massive patches of prickly pear. Bunch of greenhorns.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Awesome thread. Particularly because I hear this attitude on the daily.

"Why would you live in that cesspool when you could be in the Bay Area." - My family in Oakland.
"I have to fly to LA to meet with my time. I hate LA." - My coworkers in San Jose.
"Why don't you come where the real action is at and stop playing with plastic and silicone." – Family in the Midwest.

Many of those outside the LA mecca just find it "cool" to hate on Los Angeles. It's the monstrous, media juggernaut among all the NoCal/SoCal cities and it has seemingly infinitely more worldwide recognition. Calling it “plastic” has to be the most apathetic scapegoat of an excuse for hatting on LA because all LA residents know this scene to be isolated and outsiders will just agree out of hearsay. For those outside CA it seems anything not LA is “2nd rate” because the words Los Angeles riddle the media on the regular which lead to an artificial bump in popularity. I’d be hard pressed to call this anti-LA attitude of SF residents jealously, but instead defensive.

But don’t let yourself think this anti-mecca attitude is isolated to CA. It exists in the surrounding areas of every major city in the US. Just look at the suburbs of any metro and you'll find hordes of residents who rarely head downtown as the City is busy, confusing , more diverse, and hogs the media spotlight therefore it’s the enemy. LA-bashing falls within a similar mindset, but due to its size it’s not just the suburbs surrounding the city that share the attitude, it’s the entire state.

All my opinion, of course.
And in terms of irony and hypocrisy, just look at the listings for places up here doing "facial work" and boob jobs, and all I can say to some of my fellow Bay Areans is "people who live in glass houses....."

Old 09-10-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
It's funny because I know exactly what that smell is. I live in San Diego, and every time I drive up the 5 to L.A. to visit family, it seems like right when I hit the OC area the air quality changes dramatically. Enter Carson where the Arco plant is, and air stinks like sewage! Going further into L.A. and the air is thick and heavy, it's not refreshing at all like coastal cities such as SF and SD. I actually get asthma symptoms if I am up there for a couple of days as it's hard to breath with all the crap in the air.

Nor Cal people, no offense, think their **** don't stink and hate on L.A. for everything. Not sure why some are like this. Maybe it's a snooty attitude of wealthy upper middle class Whites. Lots of environmentalist that see L.A. as some sort of toxic waste ground that's full of problems. L.A. people tend to be more hood and tough, and SF residents seem more uppity so that can be part of it from my observations. Oakland on the other hand is like L.A. in similar aspects. I love the bay area BTW, and have nothing against the Bay, but we are different, even though we live in the same state.

Same goes for San Diegans, they hate L.A. and think it's all paradise and hunky dory down here as nobody ever really travels north unless it's for business or to go to LAX as it's cheaper than flying out of SD. People in SD especially one's that have lived here forever are a little small minded, as in a small town way of thinking goes and are anti this and anti that. Lots of conservatives, old people, and the military industrial complex doesn't help either. It seems like no one ever gets out much from SD, and they see big cities like NYC, L.A, Washington D.C. and yes even S.F. as all hell holes with loads of traffic, crime and high housing cost.

They never look at the positives aspects of those cities, such as it's cultural diversity, many great places to see and do, their energy and vibe, urbanity, distinction, and so on.

We really do live in different worlds, people in L.A. are completely different from SF peeps, same goes for SD, people just look and act different, talk differently and have their own sense of style and attitude.

So it's not just SF that has an issue with L.A., it's SD too. A lot of smack talking going on because of the whole possible Chargers and Raider move to L.A. and the recent purchase of the L.A. Times buying the SD Union-Tribune newspaper, so the local media hasn't said any nice words about L.A. lately.
You are greatly exaggerating air quality differences. Granted there is a stretch of the 405 where what you wrote is true but by the time you are up around LAX you've passed beyond that and will be experiencing more or less what you would at the beach. Meanwhile, up here, it is not as if the beach type of microclimate covers the entire metro. That combined ozone and vegetation smell aka "the LA smell" definitely exists in many parts of the Bay Area. Any major West Coast metro that gets an inversion and has mountains / significant hills trapping air is going to have this once you go inland far enough.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I think this song sums up a lot of LA natives views about SF

Foxygen

San Francisco is cool , but a lot of us view it more as a place for a weekend trip .
I've also noticed the Bay Area superiority/ snobby mentality too .

The SF area is tiny compared to LA.
SF does feel like a mini Manhattan in a ways. The walkable historic neighborhoods clustered together , etc .

Sorry SF and NYC but the real cool people don't have to brag about being cool .

LA seems to just do rather than talk .
Could be why we are seeing an exodus of artists and hipsters from NYC to LA .

I agree the plastic insult about LA is ridiculous . Plenty of people with plastic surgery and that are plastic / fake in other parts of the country too.

I know there is a famous Andy Warhol quote about LA something like " I love LA , it's so plastic"

When I think of fake people I think of the Wolf of Wall Street types in NYC that will lie and cheat and don't really create anything .. The creators of derivitatives and other " creative " financial instruments .

It was these guys and the Bernie Madoff types whose lies helped to decimate the economy .

The " plastic " folks in Hollywood making movies and music never caused so much destruction

many of the big banks of course are also based on the East Coast .
Low to mid income creatives are also leaving the Bay Area for LA. It is now a thing, discussed openly in some of my social circles.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:39 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,018 times
Jealously

Old 09-10-2015, 10:51 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Low to mid income creatives are also leaving the Bay Area for LA. It is now a thing, discussed openly in some of my social circles.
Yeah they're moving to silicon beach and raising rents.

Wasn't Silicon Valley voted the new Mecca for plastic surgery and gaudy keeping up with the joneses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles