Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2015, 02:02 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Homeless have rights..but those rights should not include the right to takeover streets, parks,etc. The right to aggressively panhandle. The right to loiter . The right to drink/do drugs in public. The right to litter.

I see the rights of nonhomeless being violated by the homeless more than the other way around , in L.A at least.
Bingo

I wonder how many of these people talking about the rights of the homeless have them camping across the street from where they live like I do.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:06 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr6035 View Post
So reward bad behavior by rewarding them with government paid housing?
It's the lesser of two evils.

But it needs to be "supportive housing" meaning they are pushed to get off drugs/alcohol, get job training, are required to work to the fullest of the abilities, etc. In other words, it has lots of rules & structure around it.

Even conservative places like Salt Lake City have figured this out. If done right, it works. And it costs less money than spending it on police calls & jail & emergency room visits.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:18 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrovich View Post
I used to hear saying "Los Angeles is city of Angeles" however i must admit "City of Bums" fits better.
This got so much worse in 2015, they are everywhere from walk of fame to Skidrow, Disney Land, Santa Monica Pier etc and pretty much anywhere where there's public transportation.

That's not mentioning countless RV's parked all over the city and people living from them.

I would not care if they were cool people mind they own business but most of them are on hard drugs and crack/meth and blasting music, defecate on sidewalks, harass you for change, shout and blast music and smell like they never taken a shower in their life.

P.S. Guess this topic better suited for people who live in city of LA and have to take public transportation if you drive by it does not affect you the same as if you have to walk near them.
Many, many of them do not take hard drugs and even people among them that want to are unable to afford it.

We now live in a culture where people take see more value of a nice peace of furniture that is left out in the street than an homeless youth in the street.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:57 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
If they would just build enough housing in the first place there wouldn't need to be special housing programs.
That would only be true if the government procured enough existing housing, which would be a huge amount of housing.

Quote:
But it needs to be "supportive housing" meaning they are pushed to get off drugs/alcohol, get job training, are required to work to the fullest of the abilities, etc. In other words, it has lots of rules & structure around it.
Even conservative places like Salt Lake City have figured this out. If done right, it works. And it costs less money than spending it on police calls & jail & emergency room visits.
I think it's pretty early to be calling Salt Lake City's program a total success. The solution is in the long term status of the homeless, not the short term. What works for a year might not work for 2 or 5 or 10. There will always be issues of substance abuse, illegal activities and damage in government housing. The housing for the homeless people in SLC could become ghettos that cause new and worse problems for the city.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:08 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
That would only be true if the government procured enough existing housing, which would be a huge amount of housing. I think it's pretty early to be calling Salt Lake City's program a total success. The solution is in the long term status of the homeless, not the short term. What works for a year might not work for 2 or 5 or 10. There will always be issues of substance abuse, illegal activities and damage in government housing. The housing for the homeless people in SLC could become ghettos that cause new and worse problems for the city.
The SLC program has been in existence for 9 years. The Shockingly Simple, Surprisingly Cost-Effective Way to End Homelessness | Mother Jones

Old 10-11-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:

But it needs to be "supportive housing" meaning they are pushed to get off drugs/alcohol, get job training, are required to work to the fullest of the abilities, etc. In other words, it has lots of rules & structure around it.Even conservative places like Salt Lake City have figured this out. If done right, it works. And it costs less money than spending it on police calls & jail & emergency room visits.
Supportive does not mean "pushed" to get off drugs or required to work, it means delivering services to them that will help them with those issues but provides housing with no strings other than don't burn the place down or disturb your neighbors.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:21 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
[quote=other99;41522870]Many, many of them do not take hard drugs and even people among them that want to are unable to afford it.

I've never seen any of them that don't take hard drugs.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I've never seen any of them that don't take hard drugs.
Really V8, tell us what you have seen...have you seen homeless people injecting drugs, or smoking? Do they wave bags of heroin as you walk by or do you just have some magic way of knowing this? A good number of the older homeless have never done drugs but have alcohol addictions, and then there are the homeless like my good friends schizophrenic son who occasionally escapes from his parents home and ends up on skid row until the cops find him and get him back to mom and dad, no drugs there my friend just a serious mental illness. Homeless people each have their own story to tell, just like the rest of us.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:27 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
OMG, has anybody else here driven on Ohio under the 405 lately? It's almost entirely full of squatters.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:46 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Stop feeding them.

What I mean is stop handing over money to panhandlers. Don't feed the habit, don't pay them a dime. When people ask for money send them to Labor Ready or other places that are looking for bodies.

Instead of handing over money to the homeless that more than likely will find its way to a drug dealer or liquor store, give to your church, or some charitable organization. Red Cross, Salvation Army. Donate to this guy: Upscale Restaurant Owner Feeds Homeless Kids - CBS News

Plenty of people that will get the money where it is needed.

Lets turn the homeless problem over to the Churches and the organizations I mentioned. If someone begs for food, send them to a place that you donate to. Keep information of places that can help the homeless and let them know where they can go for help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles