Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2016, 05:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Was the person getting SSI?

It's really hard for anyone to get rental assistance outside of Section 8 unless they have HIV or maybe certain types of severe mental illness. If you have qualifying illnesses for SSI, then yes you can get food stamps long term. People on SSI are allowed to make up to $1000 per month and allowed to work up to 20 hours a week. I'm not at what level they would cut off the person's EBT/Snap benefits. But if he is paying rent out of SSI money and a job I suppose they may have a high level off cutoff if they include his rent.

But a normal, healthy single person can't just decide to work fewer than 25 hours and collect EBT benefits directly. There's something you aren't tell us about your friend, or that he isn't telling you about his situation. The fact he was given a class that taught about hygiene indicates something right there.

I've had a number of friends and family members who worked in social services and related fields.
Not getting SSI that I know of.

I'm only going by what I was told, you could be right, perhaps something more is going on. He said he was getting rental assistance(I believe it was around $200), and in order to continue he had to take this hygiene class and he wasn't willing to do that, as he said he didn't need to be told how to bathe, so that stopped.

But he is getting EBT.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:05 PM

108 posts, read 118,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
If you think its bad here than u better not ever step in NYC in ur life.
And BTW, i wouldnt classify being in an RV as homeless. Even if it is an eyesore
You are out of your mind there is absolutely no comparison. Los Angeles is drastically worse for homeless people than NYC. I lived in NYC for decades and LA for 2 years. I am absolutely baffled by your opinion. Saying there are a lot more homeless in NYC than LA is like saying there are more sunny days in Siberia than Florida.

What makes you say this?

Old 03-04-2016, 03:52 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1218 View Post
You are out of your mind there is absolutely no comparison. Los Angeles is drastically worse for homeless people than NYC. I lived in NYC for decades and LA for 2 years. I am absolutely baffled by your opinion. Saying there are a lot more homeless in NYC than LA is like saying there are more sunny days in Siberia than Florida.

What makes you say this?
The 15 Most Homeless Cities In The World - TheRichest

NYC doesn't have a skid row, but there were homeless encampments that the police had to break up all over Manhattan last year. NY is ranked as No. 2 in the homeless population. LA is number 3. NY's homeless population has outgrown LA's.

Other parts of the city to get encampments.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:37 AM

4,662 posts, read 4,544,919 times
Quote:

NYC doesn't have a skid row, but there were homeless encampments that the police had to break up all over Manhattan last year. NY is ranked as No. 2 in the homeless population. LA is number 3. NY's homeless population has outgrown LA's.

I think it depends on whether you're talking about sheltered homeless (in transitional housing programs, safe havens, etc.) or unsheltered homeless out on the street.

From last November's HUD report: New York City has more homeless but only about 4% of them are unsheltered. LA County has fewer homeless, but 70% of them are unsheltered, so it's more visible.

Additionally, if you're specifically talking about the chronically homeless, LA County has more than triple the number of chronically homeless individuals in NYC.

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 03-04-2016 at 08:54 AM..

Old 03-04-2016, 01:22 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I think it depends on whether you're talking about sheltered homeless (in transitional housing programs, safe havens, etc.) or unsheltered homeless out on the street.

From last November's HUD report: New York City has more homeless but only about 4% of them are unsheltered. LA County has fewer homeless, but 70% of them are unsheltered, so it's more visible.

Additionally, if you're specifically talking about the chronically homeless, LA County has more than triple the number of chronically homeless individuals in NYC.
I'm not so sure homeless are more visible in LA.

The subway system in NYC is full of homeless individuals sleeping on trains and stations. Not counting where you see homeless people sleeping on streets. Many homeless people either get kicked out of shelters or refuse to sleep in them.

Also NYC stopped processing new Section 8 applications in 2009, and due to gentrification most landlords will not rent out to tenants on welfare programs. All NYC offers for the most part is long term stays in shelters. Getting into the housing projects or other affordable housing programs could take 10 years.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:34 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,950,508 times
There but for the grace of God go I.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:37 PM

8,326 posts, read 6,417,109 times
Not if your not too lazy to work.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:50 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:

Now this makes no sense:

There are 60,352 people without a roof under their heads in the Big Apple.

This number includes 25,640 children. 22,386 are adults and over 12,326 are single.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:17 PM

108 posts, read 118,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYinCA2014 View Post
If we were talking about NYC from 20+ years ago, I would agree. However, NYC these days is cleaned up quite a bit. Ever hear of Mayor Giuliani? Perhaps LA or SF would like to borrow him to clean up the streets.
I lived in NYC since 1960, it was never anywhere close to as bad as it is in LA. For one thing they hide, they find nooks and crannys to hide to stay warm. in LA they make cardboard homes all over the streets

never in the history of NYC did you see 1/10th of the # of homeless you see all over LA

Old 03-19-2016, 10:39 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1218 View Post
I lived in NYC since 1960, it was never anywhere close to as bad as it is in LA. For one thing they hide, they find nooks and crannys to hide to stay warm. in LA they make cardboard homes all over the streets

never in the history of NYC did you see 1/10th of the # of homeless you see all over LA
So in all these decades living in New York you never left your apartment? Or are you simply blind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles