Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 09:54 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I bought gas last Sunday and right where you walk in to pay, right by the door was this homeless bastard all sprawled out, passed out.
I was out your way last week. I noticed it's bad in Sylmar, too, and that there are sidewalk encampments on Foothill. I also noticed it's not as bad in San Fernando.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:56 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Most homeless peoples last residence was in the same city they are homeless in:

"Although homeless people may be found throughout the county, the largest percentages are in South Los Angeles and Metro Los Angeles. Most are from the Los Angeles area and stay in or near the communities from which they came. About 14 to 18 percent of homeless adults in Los Angeles County are not U.S. citizens compared with 29% of adults overall. A high percentage - as high as 20 percent - are veterans. African Americans make up approximately half of the Los Angeles County homeless population - disproportionately high compared to the percentage of African Americans in the county overall (about 9 percent)
Never lived in Venice, I take it? Very few of the homeless there are local. Most of the Venice and Palms spillover we get in Mar Vista is not local either.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:03 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Never lived in Venice, I take it? Very few of the homeless there are local. Most of the Venice and Palms spillover we get in Mar Vista is not local either.
2sleepy doesn't live in L.A , so they are out of touch with the reality of the situation . Anybody that lives in L.A and doesn't live some sheltered existence realizes how bad the problem is .

Old 05-10-2016, 10:31 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
2sleepy doesn't live in L.A , so they are out of touch with the reality of the situation . Anybody that lives in L.A and doesn't live some sheltered existence realizes how bad the problem is .
That's true, I don't live in LA, nor do I want to. But I do understand the impact of homelessness on a City and I don't diminish it. What I am asking is, what do you think can be done to fix it? All I'm hearing is that it's caused by "liberal policies" and that we should just arrest all the homeless. Not once have I heard a rational solution offered. If you can't come up with a solution, how do you expect the City to fix it for you?

It's primarily high rent that causes so many homeless to be on the streets in San Francisco and Los Angeles, the only thing that I can see as a solution is to build enough supportive housing to get them off the streets. And that's not a liberal solution, it's just common sense. Other cities have done it. You can't arrest your way out of this, there just aren't enough cops or enough jails.

I was surprised when I read about who the homeless in Los Angeles are:
  • 20% are Veterans
  • The average age is 40 - women tend to be younger.
  • 33% to 50% are female. Men make up about 75% of the single population.
  • About 42% to 77% do not receive public benefits to which they are entitled.
  • 20% to 43% are in families, typically headed by a single mother.
  • An estimated 20% are physically disabled.
  • 41% of adults were employed within last year.
  • 16% to 20% of adults are employed.
  • About 25% are mentally ill.
  • As children, 27% lived in foster care or group homes; 25% were physically or sexually abused
  • 33%-66% of single individuals have substance abuse issues.
  • 48% graduated from high school; 32% had a bachelor degree or higher

Homeless in Los Angeles County

Just tell me without throwing in partisan jabs or suggesting something that is illegal like forced deportation, how you think this problem can be fixed?

Old 05-10-2016, 11:17 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times
There's no way to fix it. The politicians are just trying to appease the citizens. If you give them housing either they will reject it or distroy it. They are not house proud people. They like the tent communities the socialization the free food, tents, burner phones, and clothes, not having to work. I don't blame them people bring them everything they need. At least that's what I see in Orange County along the river trail... I know LA is a whole different horror story
. Now that companies are leaving the state and the new min wage law is coming and rent is so high homelessness is going to explode even more. Along with that more crime and assaults. What's that going to do to housing values??? To me so cal is heading for dark times

Last edited by Finper; 05-10-2016 at 11:52 PM..

Old 05-11-2016, 09:23 AM

2sleepy, more evidence of the very liberal attitude of L.A on the homeless.

Garcetti shifts stance, won't enforce tough new homeless measures - LA Times

Old 05-11-2016, 09:32 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Then why are there major homeless presences in parts of L.A. which do not have shelters, soup kitchens, etc. but which are within the city of Los Angeles?

In the case of Culver City it is right next to some of the most homeless-infested parts of Los Angeles, e.g. Palms, which is second only to Venice for homelessness on the westside, and yet does not suffer the same problems.
Burbank is right next to North Hollywood which has severe homeless problems, and yet is virtually homeless-free.

If Los Angeles' homeless policy is not super-liberal no one has a liberal policy towards the homeless. Los Angeles has surrendered. It is a sanctuary city for the homeless.
It should be pretty obvious why tiny cities of only a few square miles can handle their homeless problem better than a city of over 400 square miles that always has hundreds of thousands more people in it there than are residents. Pretty easy for the homeless to just avoid the five square miles of Culver City when LA completely surrounds it.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:35 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
2sleepy, more evidence of the very liberal attitude of L.A on the homeless.
Garcetti shifts stance, won't enforce tough new homeless measures - LA Times
jm, did you even read the article? Garcetti is recommending the following amendments to the law:

Quote:
Proposed amendments would, among other changes, drop the misdemeanor penalty, eliminate medications and documents from the list of items that could be impounded and spell out when property is considered unattended.
Really, how liberal is it that the Mayor asks that the police don't destroy medication and documents belonging to the homeless? What would a conservative mayor have done, recommend that they destroy the medication first? geez...

Old 05-11-2016, 09:38 AM

Why are they leaving their 'medicine' and 'important documents' in stolen shopping carts that they abandon and leave on the streets? It's obviously just an excuse for not doing anything.
"Well we can't do anything...we don't want to take their medicine!"

Would you ever leave your medicine or documents where it could be seized? wouldn't you leave them on your person?..

Old 05-11-2016, 09:41 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
There's no way to fix it. The politicians are just trying to appease the citizens. If you give them housing either they will reject it or distroy it. They are not house proud people. They like the tent communities the socialization the free food, tents, burner phones, and clothes, not having to work.
Every one of these assertions from you are false. If you are actually interested in proof why, I'll enlighten you. If you are merely interested in venting with no concern for spreading false myth, chatter on ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles