U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 01:29 AM

25 posts, read 30,206 times

Advertisements

Hey you guy. I'm from the San Gabriel Valley and i'v spent more time in Pasadena than Long Beach. The times i'v been to Long Beach would be during the weekend so i feel like haven't really seen it during peak hours.

Which has a more vibrant pedestrian downtown?

Both are in amazing locations. Long Beach by the coast, has a bridge, near port. Pasadena along side breath taking mountains. Snow can be seen during winter. Hikers paradise. These two downtowns play a huge urban alternative from DTLA while still enjoying the benifiet of Los Angeles. As the metro system continues to expand it will only further enhance Long Beach and Pasadena. Both are getting alot of construction activity going on.

These two cores are becoming more and more important as hubs/cores for the region. Eventually metrorail can't only have one line supporting each city. Soon they will have to sprout in other directions. (LB to San Pedro, Pasadena to Burbank)

Last edited by Buildings Ar Us; 10-07-2015 at 01:41 AM.. Reason: typos
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 01:32 AM

25 posts, read 30,206 times
And by "alternatives" i also mean having a geographical setting that DTLA can not offer.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:35 PM

3,831 posts, read 3,929,455 times
Obviously these are huge generalizations, but if I had to boil it down:

Pasadena is more upscale, educated, professional, cultured, etc.

Long Beach is bigger, edgier, hipper, beachier, industrial.

I've been told that Long Beach is the most diverse city in the U.S. (not sure if that's true, might be within a population range, etc). However, Pasadena is quite diverse and has one of the larger AA populations in LA county as well as the standard White & Hispanic. It actually has few Asian Americans despite being in the SGV.

I haven't been to LB downtown at night (only the boardwalk area), however, during the day for brunch/lunch on weekends there are definitely people out and about. I have a feeling that Old Town Pasadena is going to feel like there are more people around because it's all concentrated in one main area whereas Long Beach has multiple.

Honestly if I had to choose it would come down to 1) how important mountains vs. beach is and 2) more importantly, where my job was

I would like to move to Belmont shores but a commute to Irvine seems miserable.

Last edited by HyperionGap; 10-07-2015 at 12:45 PM..

Old 10-07-2015, 01:01 PM

880 posts, read 902,209 times
Although Long Beach is by the water, it doesn't necessarily have a picturesque waterfront like some other beach cities. To me, it's just more of a city that's by a beach other than the Belmont Shores area, which is nice.

Don't get me wrong, there are some good spots in Downtown Long Beach, but Old Town Pasadena overall has a bit of a classier vibe with more upscale shopping and restaurant options while everything is within close proximity.

Plus, I hear a lot more people going to Old Town Pasadena than Downtown Long Beach.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:44 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,302,497 times
Location wise for visitors, Pasadena seems more popular because it's in a pleasant region close to LA, SGV, and IE.

To get to LB, most would have to drive a long distance through some sketchy, congested areas. The drive to LB isn't that compelling to many.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:20 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 11,201,585 times
Pasadena and it's not even close.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:19 PM

71 posts, read 94,497 times
I live in Long Beach and dated a girl from Pasadena. The answer is Old Town Pasadena and it isn't up for discussion.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:18 PM

12,824 posts, read 21,085,292 times
In some ways the LBC reminds me of a more upscale version of the Oakland flats.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:03 AM

5 posts, read 5,773 times
I'd say both are too far from where you want to be. There are lots of places that would be a better compromise.

But if it were a match between Pdena and LB, here is the opinion of one single 43 year old female.

In Pasadena I've found, the people are not v friendly. Also there is a "Ghetto" there, which is embarrassing. It's actually a nice area with loads of potential, but because the people of Pasadena are such small minded knobs, it not only remains a ghetto....it's spreading!

The thing I like about Long Beach, is that it's a beautiful area, that isnt yet inundated with Brooklyn hipsters.

Here's the question I would ask. Do you want to live in an optimistic environment that says yes to opportunities or a pessimistic one looking back to the past? If you want the former, I'd say, your choice is Long Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or