U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-26-2010, 10:21 PM

149 posts, read 280,166 times
That is true, but "cannot" afford and "dont want to afford it" are two different things. This is what I believe is California's largest long-term issue - the emigration of what used to be its "middle class." If normal, middle class people who always pay their taxes leave the state, whats going to happen to California's tax base? I believe youre seeing the beginning of that phenomenon right now, and I dont think it's going to get any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
A person has to pay to live in California. If you can not afford it is best to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 11:18 PM

2,778 posts, read 5,362,332 times
I can afford to live here. I own two homes; money really isn't an issue for me personally.

I just don't want to, as ucbedge said.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:57 PM

1,431 posts, read 1,451,438 times
Default California has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I was born and raised in Chicagoland. I lived for some years in NYC, lived abroad for a few years, returned to Chicago and then moved on to Los Angeles.

I actually moved to Sao Paulo, then returned to LA, but let's not get technical

It's very hard to find the positives of anything in California. I simply do not like the entire state. There are things here I think are lovely-- the weather, the beaches, a lot of the natural scenery-- but I can never recommend any one thing for people to move here for.

Most of it is the quality of life. Life is so hard here; harder than anywhere else that I've lived. I moved here with zero debt, significant rental investment income and a substantial salary as an international tax and banking attorney. I'm certainly earning enough to live well, and I own my home. I live in what I guess is supposed to be a very desirable area, although I have no idea what the schools are like or whatever else suburbanites might look for in a home.

Bottom line, I was moved here. I didn't choose. I would never choose to live here. The absolutely intolerable culture of northern California does not sit well with me, and I detest the suburban lifestyle here in the Southland. And yet I'm a hypocrit, because I'm staring at my home-- Chicago-- and thinking "My god it's freezing there". The very idea of enduring winter again is unfathomable.

Bottom line, it's outrageously expensive but I have no idea what it is that I'm getting for my expense. Property taxes that are high? A failed education system? The single worst urban planning system ever to grace North America? The bizarre sense of disconnection Californians have from reality? I've been posting on City-Data for years, many of them while living in California. Yet I've never once considered myself a Californian, and I've certainly never felt anything approaching a "presence" here in Los Angeles to make posting on this California subforum worthwhile. I still post and play in the Chicago subforum, where a real community exists

There is a lot to enjoy here, and I can't stress that enough. It's just that it comes at such a high price, and I don't mean just in cash. You pay in so many other ways.
I lived in Southern California for 34 years. I miss it immensley. Yet when I do go there, I can't wait to leave. The traffic,the crowds, rudeness of people. Sadly, I will always think of myself a Californian and maybe one day I will return, but I feel for right now, I am very content living in Prescott, AZ

Old 01-27-2010, 04:56 PM

93 posts, read 140,896 times
Some things I like about LA:

While everyone else gets road rage sitting in traffic, I get a little exercise on my own two feet. (That's right -- you can actually use those for walking!) Or I catch up on the news while I relax on the bus. If you tried it, you might like it too!

A diversity of cultures -- other people seem to view this as a negative. But I enjoy hearing different languages and being exposed to different people from all walks of life. I find that it enriches my life and keeps me open-minded and compassionate towards people different from me. Plus, it makes for good food and good shopping!

Walking around the Historic Core of downtown. There's some great architecture down here, people, and you can stroll around and enjoy it for free!

So many little pleasures -- a bite of anything whatsoever from Sweet Lady Jane, free after 5 at LACMA, a walk on the beach or in Griffith Park, a bacon donut from the Nikel Diner, practicing Spanish at Grand Central Market, Dudamel at the LA Phil (I have a crush on Gustavo), old movies in the theaters on Broadway. . .

There are lots of things to love about living in LA!

Old 01-27-2010, 05:25 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,511,615 times
I like living here. It's a great place for young people who are trying to start careers in niche industries such as entertainment, fashion, and sports.

I came here with a job lined up after I graduated from college five years ago and haven't looked back. I met my future wife here, adopted the coolest dog, and now live walking distance from the beach. I'm still in the early stage of my career, but I like where I'm going and feel that I've built a very nice resume in Los Angeles that would be considered impressive in every other major city except for New York.

If I do decide to move to another city one day, I'm confident that my time spent in Los Angeles will give me a huge advantage over the typical American that is afraid to leave their hometown.

Moving here was one of the best decisions I have ever made and I have zero regrets even though this city can be frustrating.

Quick list of pros to living in LA.

A nice mix of liberal and libertarian. Unlike the surrounding counties, people in LA don't seem to care how one dresses or what they're into as long as they aren't harming anyone.

Great selection of bars and restaurants. I love that I can walk to some of the best sushi bars in the country.

More mom & pop shops and less big box stores. Here in Venice, we cherish our local businesses.

Tons of great musicians tour here. Whether it's the latest indie band or a big name performing at the Staples Center, there's always a show to go see. We have some of the coolest music venues in the nation including the Hollywood Bowl & the Greek.

For those thinking about making the move. Save up, line up a job, and try LA out for five years.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:39 PM

45 posts, read 59,604 times
So much negativity here, whoa!

I hope the Los Angeleans I'll meet next week won't be as miserable as this board suggests.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:03 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,072,359 times
Yes sure ,hate the weather,hate the women, hate the money!
What do you think??

Old 01-29-2010, 07:48 PM

46 posts, read 87,707 times
I'm a native Californian and while California will always be "home" I do hope to make my home for myself and my (future) family elsewhere.

Here is what I WILL miss about California...
-cultural diversity- beautiful
-SO much to do...we really DO have everything. 40 minutes to the beach, 40 minutes to the mountains, museums, ect.

However, I want to raise a family in an area that is conservative, naturally beautiful (not just concrete EVERYWHERE), wildlife, and SEASONS. 70 degrees and above all year may be ideal for some, but not for me

However, I have friends and family that would never dream of leaving here. It just depends on your personality.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:37 PM

858 posts, read 1,159,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbethsayers View Post
I'm a native Californian and while California will always be "home" I do hope to make my home for myself and my (future) family elsewhere.

Here is what I WILL miss about California...
-cultural diversity- beautiful
-SO much to do...we really DO have everything. 40 minutes to the beach, 40 minutes to the mountains, museums, ect.

However, I want to raise a family in an area that is conservative, naturally beautiful (not just concrete EVERYWHERE), wildlife, and SEASONS. 70 degrees and above all year may be ideal for some, but not for me

However, I have friends and family that would never dream of leaving here. It just depends on your personality.
sounds like Indiana or Illinois might work good luck in the future either way

Old 03-23-2010, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Ransomed wrote...
<<<phony fake people that cannot be trusted AT ALL. They give new meaning to smile in your face and talk about you behind your back. I've been here 14 years and only made about 2 friends! You cannot trust the people out here.>>>

I cannot agree more with this comment. I grew up in NYC, but have lived my entire adult life in California. To this day I have made one friend out here whom I could trust blindly. Of all the people I've met in California, he has been the only one who understands loyalty the way people back east seem to understand it.

Before our recent divorce, my California-raised ex-wife (of 25 years) and I had a group of "friends and acquaintances" whom we periodically socialized with. Since the divorce, I have yet to hear from any of these persons. Conversely, I've received many calls of concern or rebuke from friends or relatives from back east. Loyal friends do not abandon you when one is need of a friend.
Interestingly enough, of all the things I had to complain about LA that was the one that bothered me the most. Having been born and raised in South Boston, MA, camaraderie just came with the territory I guess. In LA it was like this massive void constantly plaguing me with the fake people and the fake smiles, etc.

Of the 5 or so years I spent in LA, I can only name one guy who I could consider a loyal friend to the tune you're describing above. An Italian-American who was originally from Brooklyn

I really wish there was 1 positive thing I could say about my experience in LA but I really can't. Some would say weather, but forget that too, I'll take my 4 seasons I get in the Northeast for variety and let's face it, the time we actually spend time shoveling snow in the NE is small in comparison to the time we sit in that LA traffic, breathing that filthy disgusting air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles