Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 02:14 AM

49 posts, read 72,385 times

Advertisements

I'm not even going to read the 30 pages of responses on this thread. Let me just say that I've lived in various parts of this city my entire life and I'm also starting to hate it. In fact, I never realized how much is wrong with this city until I began traveling more. Seeing other cities around this country has made me want to move far away from this dump. Only my job and family that have kept me here.

I really hate the local politics and have a difficult time relating to the typical LA mindset. The situation with the illegals here is especially bad and the economy is pretty much in the toilet. Getting employment can be a challenge and being a college student is even worse. And driving anywhere can be a flat out nightmare! What's the point of having all the cool attractions in the city if it takes an eternity to get to one of them?

Anyways, the main thing I like about living here is the weather. It's pretty cool having a warm beach nearby during every season of the year. There are also some suburban communities in the far eastern part of the county that I like. But even those are slowly dying away as people move around and replace the older generations of residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 05:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,548 times
I too know the value of what Los Angeles use to be like when I was growing up in the 1970's. The city experienced a population boom like no other time in history. zoning was non existent and we also have geography that makes living here unique and challenging. However, and most sadly, L A has been paved and nearly destroyed. Only live here and move here if you can afford to be driven around, live in a very safe and socio-economically affluent hill top or gated community and have something to do with or in
" The Biz."

Old 05-05-2012, 11:12 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,408,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedr83 View Post
Not sure who wants to live here by choice. I am heading out to Austin Texas this weekend to meet with some friends, maybe we can just swap lives. LA has some great infrastructure that is unique to SoCal. I can give you all the great attractions, Disneyland, Getty, Romans Chinese Theatre, the Beach, Mountains two hours away (If you drive at 2 a.m. in the morning). Here's the big issue, there has been such an invasion from third world countries that all the wonderful things that LA has to offer have either been destroyed or are virtually impossible to get to. Try driving 20 miles on the freeways one night trying to get to the theatre, you will be so miserable you will not even want to watch the show. Many of these people have no interest in becoming American citizens or embracing what America stands for or even learning the language, many areas of LA have become mini countries, you can't even read the signs on the buildings. This is why LA real estate is so expensive, there are only a few places in the entire city that you would actually want to live. LA was once a beautiful city, now it only has pockets of greatness left. I hate that my city has become a terrible place to live, I was born here and have seem the demise and it makes me sad. Most people stay because of family or businesses they own, others are just looking for a way out. I live in Southbay, Westwood is about two to three hours from here.
Westwood is 2-3 hours from the South Bay?!

Pretty much sums up this cliche-a-thon, eh?

Old 05-05-2012, 11:16 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post

LOL...well it is if you're riding a bicycle.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:36 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
LOL...well it is if you're riding a bicycle.
I disagree.

I have ridden to El Segundo in an hour

Old 05-05-2012, 04:04 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
Quote:
Romans Chinese Theatre
Quote:
I was born here

Yeah, I can tell...

Old 05-06-2012, 06:10 AM

139 posts, read 207,616 times
LA is great along the beaches, SM, South Bay and parts of Long Beach. I find I don't need to go "downtown" that often, everything I want is right near the water, mate.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:51 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,835,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Of Deen View Post
I find I don't need to go "downtown" that often, everything I want is right near the water, mate.
Just make sure they're not under legal age.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:18 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky View Post
The mix of cultures is certainly nice, IF the folks not originally from the US try to assimilate to American culture as well; i.e., learn English, etc.

Sadly, that concept has pretty much fallen by the wayside.
The ethnic enclaves make LA what it is. Interesting. Why do you care if many immigrants never learn english? lol I always thought that was a petty complaint (I can't understand them when they speak in the street...lol why do you give a **** what they're saying in the street?)

The traffic sucks and COL is way too high are my only complaints but those are BIG complaints especially if you ended up picking the wrong neighborhood (far from work, friends, places you wanna be, etc).

Old 05-07-2012, 06:23 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post

I think he means walking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles