U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-07-2012, 02:05 PM

419 posts, read 369,965 times
LA, NYC, MIA, and SF are not ment for people with no money,theirfore you won't enjoy it if you have no money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 03:13 PM

4,783 posts, read 5,203,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
LA, NYC, MIA, and SF are not ment for people with no money,theirfore you won't enjoy it if you have no money.
I have found that LA can be VERY enjoyable on a budget.

Compared to the midwest, the only thing that you really have to watch out for is rent. If you don't mind a tiny studio then it is doable.

Groceries in fact I find to be a little cheaper here than in Illinois.

Even eating out/restaurants/bars, going to museums, etc. is really about the same in the Chicago suburbs. Unless you go to some really high end place that is overpriced because the Hollywood crowd is there, there are plenty of reasonable places.

Car insurance and gas is more expensive, and ironically, I do less driving in LA. LA may not be as walkable as eastern cities, but you don't usually have to drive far for entertainment, etc.

The only thing that is significantly more expensive is rent/housing. But you make up for that by getting a small studio. If you are single, and its just you, you just really need a place to sleep.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:21 PM

8,732 posts, read 4,885,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I have found that LA can be VERY enjoyable on a budget.

Compared to the midwest, the only thing that you really have to watch out for is rent. If you don't mind a tiny studio then it is doable.

Groceries in fact I find to be a little cheaper here than in Illinois.

Even eating out/restaurants/bars, going to museums, etc. is really about the same in the Chicago suburbs. Unless you go to some really high end place that is overpriced because the Hollywood crowd is there, there are plenty of reasonable places.

Car insurance and gas is more expensive, and ironically, I do less driving in LA. LA may not be as walkable as eastern cities, but you don't usually have to drive far for entertainment, etc.

The only thing that is significantly more expensive is rent/housing. But you make up for that by getting a small studio. If you are single, and its just you, you just really need a place to sleep.
Agreed - compared to Boston I find many aspects of LA to be affordable.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:17 AM

20 posts, read 26,522 times
i like it here... even though i miss the East Coast..
There's a lot of places to go.
For the past 6 weeks.. we've been to Long Beach, Venice, Santa Barbara, Orange County, Malibu, Santa Monica etc.
back in Rhode Island.. we only have Newport and a few beaches that are not worth mentioning.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:39 PM

91 posts, read 103,307 times
I find that I like L.A. (and California, for that matter) a lot more if I don't listen to the news or read the paper. When I read about how we are the highest taxed people in the nation, how we have 12% of the population and 32 % of the welfare cases and the many ways they completely waste our tax dollars, I get mad. If I ignore the news, however, it's quite pleasant here. I am lucky to have a good business and live in a nice safe area. My home is paid off, so I don't have the "affordability" issues I did when I was younger. When I first got here, I was broke so I took a job as an apartment manager to solve the high rent problem. I have tried to think of a better place to live and I really can't. I have a sailboat, so near the ocean is a must for me. The East coast is too humid & I hate snow. Florida has bugs the size of dogs. Texas near the water is about the same. I'm on the road all the time, but I avoid as much traffic as I can by scheduling my appointments mid-day. Still, I get stuck sometimes. If it wasn't for the climate, I wouldn't live here in a million years. But, as long as they don't change that, I'm fine.

Mike

Old 05-08-2012, 11:13 PM

2,813 posts, read 3,127,505 times
Did anyone go to the Dark Shadows premiere last night in hollywood? (at grauman's chinese theater).

-That's pretty fun LA entertainment (if you have the patience to wait). Johnny Depp signed autographs, for probably 30, 40 minutes, from the el capitan, all the way down the street.

The all day metro pass was a whopping $5....that's one of the few times in LA I'd advise not to take a car. Traffic in hollywood at 7 pm on a weeknight...no thanks.

If you're not happy in LA, I don't think you'd be much happier elsewhere....its really what you make of it.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:16 PM

3 posts, read 4,724 times
I've been here for about a year and a half.

There are aspects of it that I love. The people are nice for the most part, weather is gorgeous, and the breadth of terrain that you can access from a single part of the world is amazing: beach, mountains, desert, snow, all within a couple hours driving.

There are aspects that I hate: the fiscal irresponsibility of the city leaders, the use of vehicle related tickets as a "payday" to help balance the budget, the fact that LAX is a steaming ****hole in the ground...should I go on?

But overall, very happy here.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:40 PM

13 posts, read 8,567 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: rude

over 90 percent of the people in LA are in debt, like most of the country. you don't have to live in a nice house to enjoy this city, if you are smart.

Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by David Aguilar; 05-14-2012 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: rude/personal attacks

Old 05-12-2012, 06:46 PM

13 posts, read 8,567 times
Quote:
Let me expand: money is just a measurement, a way for society to exchange goods and talents, nothing more.

to let money influence your decisions on where to live is stupid. there are MILLIONS of poor people in LA that live here because this city is the best. They will never accumluate "money", which is not important.

Instead, these people with no money, will raise families and enjoy all that LA has to offer, with the love of their family paving the way for a joyful life.

Do you get that?

Now have fun with your money, which will be worthless in a few hundred years possibly, when paper will no longer be the measurement of "wealth"

Old 05-13-2012, 12:09 AM

413 posts, read 1,076,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAappraiser View Post
I find that I like L.A. (and California, for that matter) a lot more if I don't listen to the news or read the paper.
After I'd lived here for a year, my father asked me "is California as awful as the newspapers make it sound?" And I thought: no, it's really not. The popular perception is that it's this bankrupt, overpopulated dystopia, but daily living is actually quite pleasant. You can do just about anything you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles