Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 09:43 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Montecito Heights.
How does that compare to Mt Washington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
Tell your friends to enjoy their commute. You can't have it all.
Well that's what they're currently doing. Free room and board is nothing to sneeze at. They're probably saving 25k a year.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Got several friends these days looking to move out of the parents homes and buy their first homes and the budget seems to be around 500k.

Most work either downtown or Pasadena.

If you were in this situation what would you buy and where? Single family or condo/townhouse.

Dude Pasadena is well over 500k. Under 500k you're talking Corona,Eastvale, Chino, Chino hills. Mira Loma, Riverside. Maybe a few in Santa Ana, Garden Grove.
But LA and surrounding cities you'll be very hard pressed to find a FSR for 500k

Old 11-01-2015, 01:26 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,529 times
Around here, small tract houses (~1300sqft on 6000sqft lot) that would sell for $300k about 5 years ago are selling for $450k+ nowadays, with prices creeping up every month.

$500k is really not much of a SFR budget unless you go AV or deep into IE.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:04 PM

925 posts, read 1,065,231 times
Very true. Most new housing developments under $500k are in Fontana or points east. Condos near my house in Upland are brand new and go for around $350. Older houses in Upland area can still be bought in the $400s.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:59 PM

362 posts, read 543,788 times
Personally, I hate condos/townhouses. Even in a SFR, we live too close to our neighbors, whom we despise. I can't imagine sharing wall space with them. Couple that with slow appreciation, and a condo/townhouse just isn't for me.

However, if I were your friends, were itching to buy, had a similar budget, and were more tolerant of neighbors, I'd opt for a 1-2 bedroom condo south of Del Mar in Pasadena. The building will be old and dated, but it could be a good option for them.

This condo in South Pasadena is also really cool and close to everything the Mission District offers.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/South-Pasa...J/home/8177402

Areas like Mt. Washington/Highland Park/Echo Park and Montecito Heights are too skeevy for me. I'd stick to Pasadena/So.Pasadena and buy a smaller place. Both cities are nicer/safer and the commute is reasonable.

My niece just bought a 1BR/1BA condo in Rancho Palos Verdes in an outdated building for ~$365K and she looooves it. She lives alone and works as a civilian officer at the Manhattan Beach P.D. We're really proud of her for buying it on her own.

Last edited by Voyageuse; 11-01-2015 at 03:08 PM..

Old 11-01-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Dude Pasadena is well over 500k. Under 500k you're talking Corona,Eastvale, Chino, Chino hills. Mira Loma, Riverside. Maybe a few in Santa Ana, Garden Grove.
But LA and surrounding cities you'll be very hard pressed to find a FSR for 500k
Not for condoes/townhomes.

Quote:
Got several friends these days looking to move out of the parents homes and buy their first homes and the budget seems to be around 500k.

Most work either downtown or Pasadena.

If you were in this situation what would you buy and where? Single family or condo/townhouse.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageuse View Post
Personally, I hate condos/townhouses. Even in a SFR, we live too close to our neighbors, whom we despise. I can't imagine sharing wall space with them. Couple that with slow appreciation, and a condo/townhouse just isn't for me.

However, if I were your friends, were itching to buy, had a similar budget, and were more tolerant of neighbors, I'd opt for a 1-2 bedroom condo south of Del Mar in Pasadena. The building will be old and dated, but it could be a good option for them.

This condo in South Pasadena is also really cool and close to everything the Mission District offers.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/South-Pasa...J/home/8177402

Areas like Mt. Washington/Highland Park/Echo Park and Montecito Heights are too skeevy for me. I'd stick to Pasadena/So.Pasadena and buy a smaller place. Both cities are nicer/safer and the commute is reasonable.

My niece just bought a 1BR/1BA condo in Rancho Palos Verdes in an outdated building for ~$365K and she looooves it. She lives alone and works as a civilian officer at the Manhattan Beach P.D. We're really proud of her for buying it on her own.
That's great. Most millennials if they want to buy in the primo areas of LA will be buying condos/townhomes as their starter homes. Not SFRs.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:53 PM

362 posts, read 543,788 times
Quote:
That's great. Most millennials if they want to buy in the primo areas of LA will be buying condos/townhomes as their starter homes. Not SFRs.
Hey at least they're buying and not renting forever, or God forbid, living with their parents long term. We've encouraged our kids to buy two years after college even if it's a condo.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:44 PM

104 posts, read 111,252 times
Millenials are moving to View Park, View Heights Leimert Park, and Windsor Hills and an ever increasing rate, in addition to the downtown area. You can find 500k in all but Windsor Hills. Unless, you have intentions on 1 1/2 to three hour commutes I would not move to the IE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles