U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2015, 01:44 PM

4 posts, read 2,396 times

Advertisements

If daughter is a student in NC and car cannot be inspected in NY then registration cannot be renewed in NY. What do we do? Car was inspected in NC. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 01:45 PM

3,831 posts, read 3,494,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandy5 View Post
If daughter is a student in NC and car cannot be inspected in NY then registration cannot be renewed in NY. What do we do? Car was inspected in NC. Thanks!
Well one thing you don't do is post about it on the LA forum.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:47 PM

4 posts, read 2,396 times
ouch ! OK Moving on....

Old 11-02-2015, 02:23 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,522,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandy5 View Post
I don't claim to be a genius but the obvious answer to me is that since she is in NC, the car was inspected in NC, would be to just license the car in NC.
Is there a reason to keep the NY plates ?

Old 11-03-2015, 08:07 AM

4,498 posts, read 2,767,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
I don't claim to be a genius but the obvious answer to me is that since she is in NC, the car was inspected in NC, would be to just license the car in NC.
"I think" it depends on living situations. It's been a while since I've been in college but I think if you are living in a dorm you are considered a student and not a resident of the state so they wouldn't be eligible to register the car there. If they rent an apartment off campus then they should be able to??? If they are able to register in NC "I would imagine" that registration, taxes and insurance are much less than NY so it would make sense to take advantage. Of course I don't live in NY or NC so this is all speculation

Old 11-03-2015, 09:03 AM

16,785 posts, read 19,639,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
Other than paying more for car insurance I can't think of a reason.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:47 PM

3 posts, read 973 times
I'm dealing with a similar situation and will be opening a separate thread. But my college daughter had a car registered out of state. She graduated in June and will be staying in NC while she goes to grad school. She has moved in with her boyfriend (well out of college) and want to adopt the new address as her permanent residence. Right now the car is titled in both her and my name.

If I keep the car on the insurance policy, she, my son and I all get a multi-car discounts which is considerable. If I register the car in NC, she will need separate insurance and her rate will be a lot higher. My/my son's also creep up. I think since both of our names are on the title, but I'm listed as the primary, the car can be registered where I live and she can still drive it as a resident of NC but I'm not sure and she's very nervous. Apparently, some of the cops have nothing better to do than ask cars to pull over and pull out their registration. Some cop told her when she was in undergrad that since she was living in the state she needed a NC driver's license. She explained she was a full time student and he said he didn't care; she still needed one. He wasn't very nice about it. She ended up stressed out and confused. It's not the end of the world, but I would just like to avoid any confrontations between her and the cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles