Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 07:46 PM

1,043 posts, read 899,405 times

Advertisements

As a LA resident wanting to buy his first house I was very pleased to read the latest California Association or Realtors sales report.
The median sales price has finally dropped. And not just a little. Sales price for November was down $52,000 from October. A 10% decline. Along with sales numbers dropping by 28%.
I'm hoping this trend will continue so that some of us can finally get into the housing market for reasonable prices. Given the interest rate hikes today I would assume even more people are reluctant to buy at these prices.

November home sales and price report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 08:08 PM

12 posts, read 10,567 times
From your article:

The median price of an existing, single-family detached California home dipped 0.2 percent in November to $475,000 from $475,990 in October. November’s median price was 6.8 percent higher than the revised $444,630 recorded in November 2014.

Month to month sales definitely went down, but trailing twelve is still up significantly. Maybe it's the beginning of a downward trend, hard to tell.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:39 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,356,148 times
If house prices dip low enough all the people who left CA for Texas can come back.

That way we won't need 500 threads comparing the 2 states.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STFUNerd View Post
From your article:

The median price of an existing, single-family detached California home dipped 0.2 percent in November to $475,000 from $475,990 in October. November’s median price was 6.8 percent higher than the revised $444,630 recorded in November 2014.

Month to month sales definitely went down, but trailing twelve is still up significantly. Maybe it's the beginning of a downward trend, hard to tell.
Those are for the whole state. Chart on bottom breaks down region/city showing LAs $52k drop

Los Angeles Nov $457,870 Oct $509,570 -10.1%

Last edited by Parker501; 12-16-2015 at 09:19 PM..

Old 12-16-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If house prices dip low enough all the people who left CA for Texas can come back.

That way we won't need 500 threads comparing the 2 states.
Haha. But those are always an entertaining read

Old 12-17-2015, 07:07 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker501 View Post
Those are for the whole state. Chart on bottom breaks down region/city showing LAs $52k drop

Los Angeles Nov $457,870 Oct $509,570 -10.1%
This is good news for buyers? Do you want to buy a house in a market that is on the decline? Do you want to buy a house that might go down 10% in one year? If that $457k house drops another 10% it'd be $412K. Two years ago it was $510k now it is $412K, people would have lost $100,000 in home value now their 20% equity and downpayment are lost, they might start walking away, homes go into foreclosure. Homes drop another 10% due to foreclosures and bankruptcy. Now the home owners are underwater and can't sell because they don't have the cash to pay off the shortage, so they have to request a short sale with the lender. Now falling prices recent sales don't meet appraisal values and buyers can't get loans so properties sit vacant. The investors come and buy up everything for cash and put it in their REIT portfolio and the neighborhood becomes full of renters. Although they are talking about median price, I'm treating it as a same sale which can be significantly different.

Is there a reason you didn't buy in 2010?

Old 12-17-2015, 08:57 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,273,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
This is good news for buyers? Do you want to buy a house in a market that is on the decline? Do you want to buy a house that might go down 10% in one year? If that $457k house drops another 10% it'd be $412K. Two years ago it was $510k now it is $412K, people would have lost $100,000 in home value now their 20% equity and downpayment are lost, they might start walking away, homes go into foreclosure. Homes drop another 10% due to foreclosures and bankruptcy. Now the home owners are underwater and can't sell because they don't have the cash to pay off the shortage, so they have to request a short sale with the lender. Now falling prices recent sales don't meet appraisal values and buyers can't get loans so properties sit vacant. The investors come and buy up everything for cash and put it in their REIT portfolio and the neighborhood becomes full of renters. Although they are talking about median price, I'm treating it as a same sale which can be significantly different.

From the very small bit I know about REITs, I think you may be right.

However I don't see a major drop in housing prices I am seeing a slowdown and this IS a good thing for those middle-class first-time buyers looking to get into the market.

In the metro areas prices need to stabilize because 10%+ growth year after year isn't sustainable either; that's bubble territory and I think in a year or two that's where we'd been headed if interest rates weren't raised.

Although its not the biggest reason...another plus side of higher interest rates would be the ability to refinance after a few years. People who bought during the valley of interest rates will probably not be able to refinance for a very long time.

I think the goal here is to normalize prices and to return homes into homes and not investments. As long as prices don't go down dramatically and prices slowly increase, that would be ideal.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post

In 2010 I was in my 20s and still paying off student debt and had almost no savings. I worked hard in school so that I could have a good career and make something of myself. And now that I'm finally there I look around and see a huge asset bubble and no opportunities left. The stock market is over valued, housing prices in Los Angeles are peaked above the last housing bubble and there are a lot of young people like myself who are basically screwed if something doesn't give.
Quite frankly I couldn't care less about investors losing their money. This whole asset bubble is their fault anyways. They bought up all the properties, causing huge increases in RE costs and then jack up the rent to squeeze every dime they can out of the working class. Of course I don't want regular folks to lose their money but if you were naive enough to buy when prices were clearly going to unsustainable highs than thats a hard lesson to learn.
And really, prices can continue to sky rocket, this might be a blip. But for someone like myself it gives me a glimmer of hope that I can still make a good life for myself here.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:38 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
But we don't want them back. They can stay in their perfect Texas--their new home.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times
Sweet. Only another 100k or so before I can buy a craphole in a bad area of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles