Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 10:15 PM

106 posts, read 245,240 times

Advertisements

Are these areas safe to walk? I'm especially interested in Arts District; is it walkable and safe? because it sounds like a very artistic place, which is the opposite of a dangerous one.

I'm planning on taking public transportation and walk around those areas, but I'm not familiar with them. Are those like the most bohemian parts of downtown LA? Or you have to know well the area before talking a walk, because it could be sketchy?

I just want to go around those places using buses or trains.

What would you recommend in general?

Last edited by DJX3000; 01-03-2016 at 10:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 07:43 AM

925 posts, read 1,064,456 times
Best parts of LA to get by without a car. Just spend a weekend Downtown and it's very exciting with all the new developments. Didn't even feel unsafe once. Most areas now have much pedestrian traffic which likely makes it safer.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:01 PM

908 posts, read 1,302,670 times
I've walked around the Arts District a number of times. You should be fine walking there during the day. However, I would be careful at night if you stray a bit from the busier parts such as around Wurstkuche.

I made the mistake of walking around late at night with a buddy from Little Tokyo to the Arts District and we were followed by a homeless guy for a while. Luckily, he finally left us alone after a few minutes once we started walking faster away from him, but you have to realize that the Arts District and Little Tokyo border Skid Row, where violent crime does occur. In fact, there have been several homicides in Skid Row in the past year.

You should generally be fine if you stay east of Alameda St., which is the western boundary of the Arts District.

While I don't mind visiting the Arts District from time to time, I don't understand the allure of living there. Sure, there are a number of good restaurants and shops, but I think residents are overpaying for the fact that you're living amongst grungy warehouses and are near not so safe parts of downtown. And ironically, the artists are getting priced out.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:07 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,384,851 times
The Arts District is one of my favorite places to walk around. I wouldnt say it is walkable as there are few shops, sidewalks broken and places with no sidewalks, dim lighting, and few public transit options except dash, the gold line stop that will close soon for construction, and the buses that go over from Boyle Heights towards central downtown. I've only walked during the day and it feels safe, but isolated. You walk some areas and dont see anyone else walking. few homeless, few pedestrians. It is only until you get to the shops like Urth or Blue Bottle and up towards Traction and 3rd st or 2nd.

I think it is attractive to some for reasons like loft style living in brick converted buildings with high ceilings/brick walls. For those who can afford it there, you got hip eateries, coffeeshops, boutique shopping, bars and close to all the Downtown areas and amenities but live in less crowded/less traffic area. It is going to be interesting how the area will change dramatically in the next 5 or 10 years with new shopping mall (At Mateo) under construction, housing like Garey Building near the Gold Line, another big housing compex next to Sci-Arc, the future 6th street bridge replacement, converted buildings to clean tech and maybe tech scene, the regional connector, I think a SoHo house, and other projects.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:16 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
It's come a long way, but it has not come into it's own yet. A bike or skateboard is probably the most optimal form of transportation.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:54 AM

106 posts, read 245,240 times
Thanks for the answers, it's kinda disappointing, there's no really a vibrant/energetic area in LA...

Old 01-05-2016, 12:09 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
The Arts District is OK. I think it's kind of played out and it's becoming too pricey too soon.

It hasn't really fully developed into this trendy artsy area, but mainstream development is already starting to seep in to ruin it.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:00 PM

25 posts, read 23,031 times
I ride my bike through little tokyo everyday and it always seems active yet safe.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:52 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJX3000 View Post
Thanks for the answers, it's kinda disappointing, there's no really a vibrant/energetic area in LA...
Are you smoking sherm? You can find vibrant and energetic areas all over the LA Basin, even in Downtown. Just not so much the Arts District (yet).

Old 01-05-2016, 07:28 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,792,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJX3000 View Post
This couldn't be further from the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles