Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 12:29 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times

Advertisements

This thread sucks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 05:41 PM

302 posts, read 453,014 times
Yeah, that's a bad attitude to have - thinking you're better than all the poor people and that you're glad their stores are closing. I'm not one, but some people use stores like Wal-Mart to shop for clothing they wouldn't otherwise be able to afford for their children and themselves. Some purchase diapers, food, etc. It's never good when any store closes IMO, especially multiple stores.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:54 PM

496 posts, read 574,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Friend of mine bought recently in Irvine. I always hear about the safeness of it. Prior to that he lived in downtown Fullerton. I went there a couple of times and thought it was a cool little area. Very walkable..and I don't think many would expect Fullerton or parts of Orange County to be walkable.

It seems that Orange County has been changing , and I think it will be more appealing for people in the future.

I've heard there has been gentrification happening in Orange County too..most notably in Santa Ana.
I've never lived in Orange County..but as a visitor , overall it does feel cleaner and less sketchy than a lot of L.A..even the more expensive parts of L.A

I recently went to a shopping center called the CAMP in Costa Mesa..which is an interesting concept. All of the businesses there are kind of like organic type places of have the 'eco friendly' vibe.
It definitely had a Santa Monica ...especially Main St Downtown Santa Monica type of feel to it.

Definately a cool concept
http://thecampsite.com/

Even though they are both in Southern California..I do feel that Orange County has a certain culture of vibe to it that is different from Los Angeles.
I have noticed a lot of L.A based restaurants opening in Orange County.

Personally I think that more and more business may choose to open or expand in Orange County due to the upcoming $15 minimum wage in Los Angeles.

Of course it would be great if everyone could make a high wage..but unfortunately certain types of businesses can't operate with labor costs that are that high.

Walmart has been closing stores in areas , apparently over the minimum wage.
If Walmart can't afford the higher wages...it's unlikely a mom and pop pizza or burger joint can afford it.
as far as less sketchy and more clean, that usually comes with an area that is less populated and less urban, which orange county is versus los angeles county.

so that makes sense...MOST of OC is very surburban compared to LA county

more "urbanity" means more people, and with more people equals more trash on the streets, etc AND the higher potential for sketchiness

SAME can be said about SD, but I don't want this thread to turn in to LA v. SD gosh!! lolol ( i was just giving another example)

Old 01-22-2016, 07:54 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
First of all I have lived in Southern California before. And yes I am very well aware of Disneyland.

With that said Los Angeles tourists attractions and revenues far surpass that of Orange County.

"Tourism is a leading industry in Los Angeles. In 2011, Los Angeles hosted nearly 40.4 million overnight and day visitors, a record breaking year. Tourism generated nearly $15.4 billion in direct spending."
Los Angeles Sets Record for Total Visitors | Discover Los Angeles

"ANAHEIM, Calif., May 5, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Anaheim/Orange County Visitor & Convention Bureau (AOCVCB) today announced, during National Tourism Week, more than 21 million people visited the City of Anaheim in 2014, up 16 percent from the previous year. The rise in tourism added $6.8 billion in revenue to the Orange County economy (source: 2014 Orange County Visitor Profile, CIC Research, Inc.). Orange County as a whole, achieved a record breaking 10-year visitor high, with nearly four percent more visitors than 2013 coming to the sun-drenched vacation destination for fun, sun and surf."
Visitors To Anaheim Up 16 Percent In 2014 -- ANAHEIM, Calif., May 5, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --

So then Los Angeles county gets much more in tourism revenues than Orange County. As I said before, LA has all of the main attractions (except Disneyland).

No tourist will care that WalMart is closing or that the minimum wage is going up.

Los Angeles's overall GDP is and will always be higher than that of Orange County.
OC compliments LA but has so much on its own that some can simply visit here. I agree that LA is THE real deal, but comparing LA numbers to just Anaheim is bizarre. You do realize we have other attractions here besides Disney and outside of Anaheim, right?

This OC/LA thing is so passe. Each compliments the other, with LA being the big daddy.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:59 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
I have plenty of friends in LA in real life.

Why do you think I would care about you City Data posters? Particularly those of you concerned about the typical lower middle class issues (affordability). I am happy about current developments in Los Angeles the same way I am happy about current developments in NYC or certain other big cities. The lower classes are being priced out of worthwhile areas (praise Jesus).

That's really why there are posts with people worrying about such nonsense as a $15 minimum wage hike (which they try to hide behind a right wing facade).

As for WalMarts closing, that's wonderful news. Whole Foods on the other hand is expanding in LA.
Affordability is an issue for high paying persons in the LA/OC region too. I wouldn't be so dismissive of the predicaments of others. I have a dear friend who is a practitioner here (like I am) in the Southland who makes about 140. She is having trouble finding housing. Believe it.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:33 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
The lower classes are being priced out of worthwhile areas (praise Jesus).
Your posts are certainly contradictory (e.g. the L.A. homeless thread).

Old 01-31-2016, 11:06 AM

202 posts, read 198,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
OP wants a short commute to an office presumably on the westside. unfortunately, irvine is unable to accommodate this requirement.
Thats too crazy, west side is overpriced by 18-20% from 2014 to now and i wouldn't recommend falling for it unless you have business income and dont really care about it.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:18 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Affordability is an issue for high paying persons in the LA/OC region too. I wouldn't be so dismissive of the predicaments of others. I have a dear friend who is a practitioner here (like I am) in the Southland who makes about 140. She is having trouble finding housing. Believe it.
She isn't. She may be having a hard time finding her IDEAL housing but a person making 140k is in no danger of homelessness and will find a place to stay.

A person making the minimum wage might not be able to have their own room, and may have to share their room with other people. That's an affordability crisis, not a person making 140k who can't afford their dream house in Santa Monica. Central LA and the Valley are often a lot cheaper, and though it may be bad now Inglewood will gentrify.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:48 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
Quote:
She isn't. She may be having a hard time finding her IDEAL housing but a person making 140k is in no danger of homelessness and will find a place to stay.

A person making the minimum wage might not be able to have their own room, and may have to share their room with other people. That's an affordability crisis, not a person making 140k who can't afford their dream house in Santa Monica. Central LA and the Valley are often a lot cheaper, and though it may be bad now Inglewood will gentrify.
LuvSouthOC is correct. The median price of an Orange County SFR was $623,000 in November, 2015. Even then, potential buyers are up against all-cash investors. Most buyers also want to live within a reasonable commuting distance to the job.
How much house does about $625,000 buy in Orange County? - LA Times

If his friend does not want to buy a home that's more than 4x his /her income, that leaves the person looking for about a $560,000+max home in South OC. Of course, it also depends upon the size of the down payment.

That price is quickly becoming condo/townhouse territory, but might be the only reasonable solution unless there is a significant drop in the market.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:26 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
LuvSouthOC is correct. The median price of an Orange County SFR was $623,000 in November, 2015. Even then, potential buyers are up against all-cash investors. Most buyers also want to live within a reasonable commuting distance to the job.
How much house does about $625,000 buy in Orange County? - LA Times

If his friend does not want to buy a home that's more than 4x his /her income, that leaves the person looking for about a $560,000+max home in South OC. Of course, it also depends upon the size of the down payment.

That price is quickly becoming condo/townhouse territory, but might be the only reasonable solution unless there is a significant drop in the market.
A substantial percentage of the population as always bought a house more than 4 times their income. They save up, do a downtown payment and then take out a mortgage.

Or she has the condo/townhouse option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles