Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 05:03 PM

4 posts, read 2,333 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving to the Los Angeles area from Philadelphia in August (8 months). I have been planning this for a while, and now with 2 friends also looking for apartments out there (they already live out there, leases are up then), I can't think of a better time.

Now, the company I have worked at for 3 years as an IT Analyst/Salesforce Admin has an office down in Orange, CA, but that daily commute from LA seems unreasonable and I would like to find something in LA closer to where I will be living (areas of interest look to be Highland Park, Reseda, N. Hollywood based on where they work/live now).

My major question is if it is too early right now to start applying to jobs/house hunting? I have my resume/linkedin all ready to go, but it just seems unreasonable to reach out to any employers when I won't be able to start until months down the line. At the same time, I don't want to wait too long and be scrambling the last month. The same goes with housing as looking for rental properties almost a year prior to move in almost seems impossible in my mind.

Any suggestions of an attack plan/guidance on how/where to job search would be very helpful. My plan was to just start applying anyway to at least get the process started and hopefully get my name on people's boards out there. Also, if anyone has any isight on the IT job market out there, that would greatly be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 05:30 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
It takes six months or more to hire people at my job so it probably won't hurt to start applying now.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:03 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,889,700 times
I'd be applying for a transfer in Orange CA office and/or asking for "work from home" arrangement. Then start applying for a new job right before the move, and continue after it (unless "work from home" is achieved).

IMHO, 2 hrs commute is better than no job... When you're unemployed, you're at a big disadvantage at negotiating your salary.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
It seems like you're going about it the wrong way. Why Highland Park(because it is trendy now?) and the Valley?

You work for a company that has a location in Orange, try getting a transfer. You won't want to live in the places you listed and work in Orange, but like others before you(myself included in the late 80s) you can't always live where you want and work where you want when you're new to CA. You have to make some compromises.

Get a job transfer and live in that area, and down the road find another position that allows you to live in an area more to your liking.

Unless you're moving here with a years worth of savings for living expenses that you don't mind parting with, get a transfer. After you get settled here and decide if you want to stay or not, than look for work in other places in LA proper.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:17 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
I'd be applying for a transfer in Orange CA office and/or asking for "work from home" arrangement. Then start applying for a new job right before the move, and continue after it (unless "work from home" is achieved).

IMHO, 2 hrs commute is better than no job... When you're unemployed, you're at a big disadvantage at negotiating your salary.
There is no reason for the OP to put themselves in a position of a two hour commute. They will curse they day the moved if the live in the areas they mentioned and work in Orange.

You don't move and make your life more complicated. OP if they transfer the job will just have to look for areas in or around Orange. Most people during the week go to work and come home, if he wants Highland Park because it is now a trendy area, go on weekends.

Common sense is needed. You don't move to Southern CA and purposely set yourself up for a miserable commute.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:38 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blatz06 View Post
I am planning on moving to the Los Angeles area from Philadelphia in August (8 months). I have been planning this for a while, and now with 2 friends also looking for apartments out there (they already live out there, leases are up then), I can't think of a better time.

Now, the company I have worked at for 3 years as an IT Analyst/Salesforce Admin has an office down in Orange, CA, but that daily commute from LA seems unreasonable and I would like to find something in LA closer to where I will be living (areas of interest look to be Highland Park, Reseda, N. Hollywood based on where they work/live now).

My major question is if it is too early right now to start applying to jobs/house hunting? I have my resume/linkedin all ready to go, but it just seems unreasonable to reach out to any employers when I won't be able to start until months down the line. At the same time, I don't want to wait too long and be scrambling the last month. The same goes with housing as looking for rental properties almost a year prior to move in almost seems impossible in my mind.

Any suggestions of an attack plan/guidance on how/where to job search would be very helpful. My plan was to just start applying anyway to at least get the process started and hopefully get my name on people's boards out there. Also, if anyone has any isight on the IT job market out there, that would greatly be appreciated!

Is your current company paying any relocation expenses? If they are beware that you may have to re-pay them if you quit in less than a year.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post

This is what I was originally thinking, and I am definitely approved for a transfer to that office. I have also started talks on maybe a 3 days in the office, 2 days remote option...that still seems rough to say the least but I would at least have my feet on the ground out there and a location to look from.

My big advantage/downfall here is that I work in IT and that is headquartered here in Philly. The office out there has no IT presence so they are ecstatic about finally having someone on the ground out there. This is why everyone up to the CEO loves this idea, but that is under the assumption I'd be in the office helping out. I have definitely made them aware that I am weary about making that trek too often.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It seems like you're going about it the wrong way. Why Highland Park(because it is trendy now?) and the Valley?

You work for a company that has a location in Orange, try getting a transfer. You won't want to live in the places you listed and work in Orange, but like others before you(myself included in the late 80s) you can't always live where you want and work where you want when you're new to CA. You have to make some compromises.

Get a job transfer and live in that area, and down the road find another position that allows you to live in an area more to your liking.

Unless you're moving here with a years worth of savings for living expenses that you don't mind parting with, get a transfer. After you get settled here and decide if you want to stay or not, than look for work in other places in LA proper.
The locations I've listed are just based on where the people I would be house hunting with out there are living/working and enjoy. They can can take control of the house search, physically do the walk throughs, know the areas and help me get started. I know the smarter option would be to look closest to work, but in no way do I see that position down there as my final landing point. I would be using it to keep a job while I apply elsewhere. Nothing better than being able to target areas for job search and be able to go for physical face to face interviews.

Also money-wise, I am prepared with exactly what you have stated....wouldn't want to part ways with it particularly though! lol

Old 01-14-2016, 01:33 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,889,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blatz06 View Post
My big advantage/downfall here is that I work in IT and that is headquartered here in Philly. The office out there has no IT presence so they are ecstatic about finally having someone on the ground out there. This is why everyone up to the CEO loves this idea, but that is under the assumption I'd be in the office helping out. I have definitely made them aware that I am weary about making that trek too often.
I would suggest that finding a place in Orange county would be best. It's lovely there too

Temporarily, you could commute from SFV (and your manager might close his eyes that you arrive late and leave early, or you might naturally work long hours anyways as many of us do and it's not too bad of a commute after 7PM). But in the long run, you either would need to find a new place, or a new job.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:59 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Look into Long Beach. Easy access to both LA and OC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles