Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 05:23 AM

1 posts, read 4,404 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I work for FAA as an air traffic controller. I was recently offered a lateral transfer to the Los Angeles ARTCC due to staffing which is located in Palmdale, CA. My salary will be roughly the same as it is currently; most likely around $160-180k/yr after overtime and differential. I realize this is probably a high income for the area. They will also pay for my relocation costs.

Do most people commute into Palmdale? I am single and in my late 20s, but I suspect the schools are communities are better on the other side of the mountain. What is crime like in Palmdale? Nightlife? With that salary, what do you advise? I am currently living in New Hampshire, so I imagine it'll be quite the different life. Be honest, thanks!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 07:55 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,757,719 times
Lots of Palmdale threads already. Usually, posters rag on the area a lot. They are biased.

I've lived there for twelve years and am very happy where I live. The cycling scene is fantastic. Just the other week, I forgot to close my garage door when I retired for the night, only to discover it the next morning when I went to go to work. Not a single thing was missing! As with most places in the world, there are good areas and there are bad areas.

If you move to Palmdale, or Lancaster, just remember one thing . . . west of the freeway. Look to Rancho Vista. It's a good area with decent schools. With your salary, Santa Clarita is a viable option. It's much more upscale, safe, and has better shopping. Almost everybody commutes 'from' Palmdale to 'down below' for employment. Your drive from Santa Clarita will be uneventful, quick, and stress-free. You're going against the rush hour traffic flow, (that is assuming you will be working the day shift).

Nightlife? Non-existant in the Antelope Valley. Santa Clarita doesn't have much either, (being a bedroom community for Los Angeles), but it is a lot closer to LA and the San Fernando Valley.

You might want to contact some controllers at ARTCC and ask them where they live, and why.

(Thank you for keeping us safe when we're traveling. You have a thankless job. At least you are well compensated.)

Old 01-13-2016, 11:07 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,533,532 times
I grew up in Palmdale and moved out of the Antelope Valley in 2012. Personally, I am not a fan at all. I find the climate disgusting and the scenery isn't too pleasing either.

As the other person said, if you live in the AV stay on the west side. Quartz Hill is very nice, as are the areas surrounding the lake.

As for nightlife there isn't much; it's generally a conservative and sleepy place, but downtown Lancaster was recently rebuilt and it's actually really great with bars, a brewery, restaurants, and an awesome movie theatre.

Santa Clarita is about half an hour south of the AV and is a bit higher income overall, and is closer to LA where everything else is. There were many occasions of coming home late at night from LA wishing I could just be home already in Santa Clarita.

Overall there are worse places than the AV, but there are certainly better places too. I'd suggest finding a place to rent and then explore the area and see what you like.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:36 PM

20 posts, read 30,174 times
I live in Rancho Vista the area is nice neighbors are okay and the schools are good for the area. They have bars and restaurants if that is your thing but this is no Hollywood. If you are able to work in the area and have good income you will be able to get way more bang for your buck than if you lived further down the 14 Freeway and commuted to work.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:17 PM

806 posts, read 957,889 times
Palmdale is similar to any suburb of LA.... has everything you need (restaurants, banks, supermarkets, malls, auto dealerships, parks, etc.) the biggest difference is the weather which can get very hot (100 degrees) in the Summer. People usually start commuting in to LA at 4AM so the freeway is virtually a parking lot and begin commuting back at 4PM.

Crime is higher than some of the nicer suburbs but no worse than most parts of LA. There's virtually no nightlife though.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:42 PM

20 posts, read 30,174 times
Default Agreed

That pretty much sums it up in a nutshell.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:29 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
Palmdale is similar to any suburb of LA.... has everything you need (restaurants, banks, supermarkets, malls, auto dealerships, parks, etc.) the biggest difference is the weather which can get very hot (100 degrees) in the Summer. People usually start commuting in to LA at 4AM so the freeway is virtually a parking lot and begin commuting back at 4PM.

Crime is higher than some of the nicer suburbs but no worse than most parts of LA. There's virtually no nightlife though.
Maybe it should be renamed Palmdull?

Hot up there for sure in the Summer.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:33 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,057 times
From Palmdale, just to exit the 14 freeway onto the 5 or the 210 is like a 35 mile drive, then it's like another 20 miles to reach Los Angeles or Glendale. It's at least a hour of driving at a constant 55-60mph. With traffic, easily 1.5 hours+.

If going to LA, Glendale/Burbank, Pasadena, and such isn't important to you, then all you need is up in the Antelope Valley.

Just plan a half-day trip if you want to make a "quick" run to the Basin/SFV/SGV/Westside.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:40 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,091 times
Santa Clarita is regarded as nice suburb. the metro is bleh.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:15 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,091 times
I will also mention is that Santa Clarita has gotten some tech companies over the years. Santa Clarita is closer to Frazier Park and it's also not too far from LA.

Growth has also slowed down in Santa Clarita compared to Palmdale and Lancaster are still sprawling out. When my aunt moved to Palmdale back in the 70s, it was great. Not alot of gangs or ghetto culture. Palmdale was very charming. Come by the 80s and 90s it started changing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles