U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 05:42 AM

1,470 posts, read 1,505,999 times

Advertisements

Most of my life has been spent living in Encino,California until July 2015. In July 2015 I moved to Seattle, Washington. I'm glad I moved to Seattle and enjoy my apartment and life here in Seattle.

Well with that being said I was planning on flying into Burbank airport and Spending 3 nights in either Stduio City, Sherman Oaks or Woodland Hills to catch up with my old friends. By surprise many San Fernando Valley hotels are full and the hotels/motels with vacancies are charging very high rates. For example the Best Western in Woodland Hills is charging between $190 and $250 per night. A super 8 hotel in the ghetto of Canoga Park is charging $110 per night. This is ridiculous!! San Fernando Valley hotel prices have become as expensive as the bay area.

Unfortunately I'm unable to stay with friends of family this trip.

One of the reasons I moved to Seattle is to find more affordable housing which I did find in a good area of Seattle and I'm glad. I read an article in the LA times that the average one bedroom apartment in Woodland Hills is now almost $2,000 a month.

I really can't afford to pay $200 a night for a basic Best Western let alone pay $110 for a super 8 dump where drug dealers and prostitutes stay.

Whats making LA and the San Fernando Valley turn into another overpriced hotel and apartment market like the San Francisco bay area?

When I lived in Encino I was living with my parents and couldn't find a job with a degree from CSUN.

Here in Seattle jobs get thrown at me.

A friend of mine suggests that I try renting a room in the valley off AirBnb for a few nights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 07:38 AM

16,576 posts, read 9,807,111 times
Places that have expensive housing in general will also have expensive hotels too .

Look into Priceline , I've been able to save a lot on there .
I've usually bid on rooms but it's a little complicated . They also have express deals which can be a good deal too .

Also download the hotel tonight app and you can get some good deals .

Also you can look into couch surfing .. I've never done it, but it's where locals let you stay at their place / on their couch for free .

Old 01-14-2016, 07:42 AM

64,428 posts, read 71,683,075 times
It really doesn't make much difference where you stay anymore, hotel prices have shot up like crazy and frequent guests programs suck!!!! We recently (3 months ago) stayed at the Embassy Suites north, by LAX. I know it was an airport location, which can be pricy, but not the price it was. At least we got decent hosted cocktail hour at night and breakfast the next morning. We paid about the same amount in Miami last spring. Even the 3 star chains are $150 and up anymore, small towns as well in many cases.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:53 AM

1,736 posts, read 902,799 times
I gave up on LA hotels and strictly use AirBnB now. There may be some sort of correlation between the influx of AirBnB hosts in the LA area and increasing hotel prices but that's just a wild guess.

Last edited by adr3naline; 01-14-2016 at 08:09 AM..

Old 01-14-2016, 07:59 AM

10,098 posts, read 5,917,452 times
I don't even want to look at hotel prices these days it's just too much. I don't think I can host my family in my small apt so I was hoping to help pay for their hotel but good lord yeah it's pretty bad.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:02 AM

1,857 posts, read 1,754,818 times
Thanks for making this thread every week.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:16 AM

18,937 posts, read 12,866,411 times
Los Angeles has a HUGE tourism boom. Good for LA's economy. I am in Los Angeles now and I rented out a room on Airbnb. There are great deals you can find on Airbnb.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:16 AM

1,244 posts, read 1,829,521 times
I think it's supply and demand, simple. There aren't enough hotel rooms -- clean, reasonably priced, well-located hotel rooms - to meet the demand.

You didn't state your budget -- but the HI in Burbank is decent and usually affordable (for LA). Close to the 5, so you can get to Hollywood, etc. Glendale Hilton is decent too (convenient if you're visiting the east side).

The Courtyard Century City is good, too, and a little closer to Beverly Hills. We've stayed at the Doubletree in Santa Monica when we wanted to be closer to Third St. and the beaches.

My last few visits I've used AirBnb. The first time was a nightmare of misrepresentation. Airbnb was really good about it and refunded our $ right away, but it left us stuck with trying to find a hotel room after midnight.

The last couple times have been much more positive, and we now use it exclusively when in LA. It isn't *that much* cheaper (for us, since we always rent out entire apartments, not just rooms), but location-wise, it can't be beat.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:24 AM
PDF

11,346 posts, read 8,383,031 times
Rent an Airbnb. Problem solved.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:30 AM

15,878 posts, read 17,393,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Most of my life has been spent living in Encino,California until July 2015. In July 2015 I moved to Seattle, Washington. I'm glad I moved to Seattle and enjoy my apartment and life here in Seattle.

Well with that being said I was planning on flying into Burbank airport and Spending 3 nights in either Stduio City, Sherman Oaks or Woodland Hills to catch up with my old friends. By surprise many San Fernando Valley hotels are full and the hotels/motels with vacancies are charging very high rates. For example the Best Western in Woodland Hills is charging between $190 and $250 per night. A super 8 hotel in the ghetto of Canoga Park is charging $110 per night. This is ridiculous!! San Fernando Valley hotel prices have become as expensive as the bay area.

Unfortunately I'm unable to stay with friends of family this trip.

One of the reasons I moved to Seattle is to find more affordable housing which I did find in a good area of Seattle and I'm glad. I read an article in the LA times that the average one bedroom apartment in Woodland Hills is now almost $2,000 a month.

I really can't afford to pay $200 a night for a basic Best Western let alone pay $110 for a super 8 dump where drug dealers and prostitutes stay.

Whats making LA and the San Fernando Valley turn into another overpriced hotel and apartment market like the San Francisco bay area?

When I lived in Encino I was living with my parents and couldn't find a job with a degree from CSUN.

Here in Seattle jobs get thrown at me.

A friend of mine suggests that I try renting a room in the valley off AirBnb for a few nights.
Your parents live in Encino, why don't you just stay with them?

You create a lot of problems for yourself.

You don't have one friend after living 34 years in the SFV that you can stay with if not your parents?

Or is this just a rant to bash LA?

Makes no sense someone who lived their whole life in the Valley, who only recently left the area doesn't have one person they can stay with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles