Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 11:46 AM

38 posts, read 32,579 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 22 year old male college student graduating in May. I have lived in the Chicago area my entire life, and went to college in the Midwest. I have always despised the winters here, and want to move to a warmer climate. Now is the perfect time for me to do that, as I have no obligations besides getting off to a good start regarding my career, which will be selling insurance.

First, for anybody who has moved away from a cold climate such as Chicago to warmer weather. Did it make a positive impact on your overall happiness? I love being outside, and think a place where I can play golf, outdoor basketball, etc. year round will have a huge impact on my well being. I love being active and eating healthy, and am curious about how much more active/happier you became upon moving to a warm climate.

My priorities for my new city are the following:

1. warm, somewhat nice weather year round. I am okay with it being super hot at times which I know is the case for cities such as Tampa or Austin. Nearby beaches, high quality golf, and other fun outdoor activities are a huge plus
2. a place where I will easily be able to find new friends around my age and can live in a neighborhood (Chicago-Lincoln park-esque)where I will be surrounded by young people similar to myself. I will know very few, perhaps 0 people in the new city that I move to. I am an outgoing person who has made friends rather easily, but am still concerned about meeting new people if I don't know anybody going in.
3. Fun nightlife for a 22 year old. I enjoy going out to drink, and would love a place where there is a great variety of fun bars and restaurants.
4. Nice people that will be open to welcoming new friends. I have never been to California, but have heard bad things (egotistical, conceded) about the people there (would love for people to confirm/deny this).
5. Cost of living matters but isn't huge. I am not too concerned with the economy of the city or state I am moving to. I will be selling insurance in an assigned territory and all cities offer essentially the same opportunities, it just depends on how well I form relationships.

The city which I can move to is not limited, and I will list them in the tiers which I currently have them in. First tier I am most heavily considering, second tier is below that, etc. The only city I have been to is Tampa, and I was only there for a day. I am a very open-minded person and believe I will like any of the below cities, but would love to hear insight from people within the forum. I also understand that I will need a car for my new city, and have no problem with buying a car upon moving.

First tier: Tampa, Austin, Charlotte, Phoenix

Second tier: Nashville, Los Angeles, Dallas

Third tier: Sunrise, FL....Houston, San Fran, Irvine

Based on my description, I would love to hear from people which city they see as the best fit!

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 12:03 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,202 times
1- Los Angeles is nice year-round(especially compared to Chicago) but doesn't get as hot as Austin and isn't humid like Tampa.

2- Los Angeles is made up of nearly 100 distinct neighborhoods/districts and several of them are great for young people. Silver Lake, Studio City, North Hollywood, West Hollywood, Downtown.

3- Like any major city, Los Angeles doesn't lack for bars/nightlife, and Los Angeles has become the food capital of America.

4- The vast majority of people in Los Angeles are very polite and personable, just like most places. Most of the rude, egotistical people I've met here are either transplants(East Coast, Bay Area) or wealthy.

5- Los Angeles can be expensive and would be more expensive than your top tier cities.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:09 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Most of the rude, egotistical people I've met here are either transplants(East Coast, Bay Area) or wealthy.
Thats like stereotypical of east coast people not so much or at all of bay area people. Haven't met any bay area people like that.

Some of the wealthy can be even more worse...

Last edited by owl6969; 01-17-2016 at 12:48 PM..

Old 01-17-2016, 12:42 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
Thats like stereotypical of east coast people not so much or at all of bay area people. Haven't met any bay area people like that.

Some of the wealthy can be even more worse.
It struck me as strange as well, encountering a sizable number of rude people(sense of superiority, no respect for others, rude to waiters/waitresses, etc) from San Francisco. They're coming to Los Angeles for the tech startups and apparently think they're too good for our city.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:49 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,643 times
You will have a fun time in LA. We have some of the best weather where you can do just about anything (hiking, beach, sports, you name it) year round. Lots of great food from almost every cuisine imaginable and solid nightlife as well.

Not to mention, we have some of the best looking women in the nation from many ethnic/racial backgrounds. Given that you're 22, take full advantage of the dating scene.

The only downside is that housing is very expensive, so expect to not get as much bang for your buck.

Great neighborhoods for young people are the ones previously listed. The toughest part is making friends and building a network. Meetup is an excellent way to join groups for activities or go to mixer events and mingle.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:53 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
1- Los Angeles is nice year-round(especially compared to Chicago) but doesn't get as hot as Austin and isn't humid like Tampa.

2- Los Angeles is made up of nearly 100 distinct neighborhoods/districts and several of them are great for young people. Silver Lake, Studio City, North Hollywood, West Hollywood, Downtown.
If you have never experienced weather that is warm-to-hot (depending on season) in the daytime, but always nice and cool at night for sleeping, without the sweatiness and humidity of a Chicago summer, and with almost zero mosquitoes, you're in for a treat if you choose Los Angeles.

Plus, Los Angeles is a world-class city like Chicago, so you wouldn't feel like you're taking a step down in prestige, culture, opportunities.

I would add Pasadena to that list, and if affordable, Santa Monica and the beach cities as other options.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:31 AM

38 posts, read 32,579 times
@MordinSouls- Thanks for the nice description on each priority

It seems like LA weather is impossible to beat. The neighborhoods sound awesome, sounds similar to Chicago with all the neighborhoods it offers around the city.

I have no doubt the nightlife and restaurant scene would be incredible, and would be a whole lot different then Chicago.

That's good people are personable, I love to hear that.

I understand it would be expensive and am certainly willing to swallow that when considering my happiness would be increased!

@SoCal88-The beach and sports sounds awesome, that is right up my alley.

The good looking women is certainly a plus, and I understand the housing can be expensive.

The neighborhoods might be the most encouraging bit of info, that excites me!

I think LA is now on the top tier with Tampa and Austin as the places where I want to move.

@Nighly sparrow-Thanks for the info, the LA weather seems to be the best. Lots of sun without the brutal summers that Austin or Tampa would offer at times.

I have some questions that I was hoping one of you could answer.

First, I just checked and the office location would either be Torrance or Irvine. Any ideas where a young person like me would live if I worked in either of those places? Keep in mind meeting people and being around a young crowd is huge for me.

Second, is cost of living truly as expensive in California as advertised? I know housing isn't cheap, but are the taxes and cost of living dramatically high? I am hopeful money won't be an issue if I work hard enough, but am still curious as to how expensive it is to live in California.

Third, what is the deal with the water drought in Southern California? Is this a big issue and worry of people in the area?

Old 01-18-2016, 10:00 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemm View Post
@MordinSouls- Thanks for the nice description on each priority

It seems like LA weather is impossible to beat. The neighborhoods sound awesome, sounds similar to Chicago with all the neighborhoods it offers around the city.

I have no doubt the nightlife and restaurant scene would be incredible, and would be a whole lot different then Chicago.

That's good people are personable, I love to hear that.

I understand it would be expensive and am certainly willing to swallow that when considering my happiness would be increased!

@SoCal88-The beach and sports sounds awesome, that is right up my alley.

The good looking women is certainly a plus, and I understand the housing can be expensive.

The neighborhoods might be the most encouraging bit of info, that excites me!

I think LA is now on the top tier with Tampa and Austin as the places where I want to move.

@Nighly sparrow-Thanks for the info, the LA weather seems to be the best. Lots of sun without the brutal summers that Austin or Tampa would offer at times.

I have some questions that I was hoping one of you could answer.

First, I just checked and the office location would either be Torrance or Irvine. Any ideas where a young person like me would live if I worked in either of those places? Keep in mind meeting people and being around a young crowd is huge for me.

Second, is cost of living truly as expensive in California as advertised? I know housing isn't cheap, but are the taxes and cost of living dramatically high? I am hopeful money won't be an issue if I work hard enough, but am still curious as to how expensive it is to live in California.

Third, what is the deal with the water drought in Southern California? Is this a big issue and worry of people in the area?
The most recent numbers I've seen have CA at #4 in total tax burden. IL is 13 so still bad compared to rest of country. Sales tax is around 9% in Los Angeles area depending on city. We have the highest income tax at over 13%. Corporate tax rate is #10 which has driven jobs to other states. Other expenses are high too. Gas is still around $3.50/gal where I live. Car insurance is some of the highest in the nation (I lived in northern VA for a year and my insurance was half of what it is in CA). Rent is getting astronomical. 1 bedroom apartment start around $1500 in most decent areas. A beer at a bar will probably run $6+ and cocktails $12+ when you go out. So it's not a cheap place to live

Yes the drought is very real and our government has no plans to solve it other than hoping we get more rain

Old 01-18-2016, 10:09 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Los Angeles has become the food capital of America...
Las Vegas has more celebrity chef restaurants per capita than anywhere else. But there is some good food in LA.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:15 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Las Vegas has more celebrity chef restaurants per capita than anywhere else. But there is some good food in LA.
Celebrity chef restaurants are gimmicky tourist traps which is why they are in Vegas. There is much better food and infinitely more variety in Los Angeles. I've eat all over the world and there are not many places I would choose to eat over LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles