U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-09-2008, 07:31 PM

1,288 posts, read 3,447,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Those areas represent a large portion of Downtown. If you are going to give advice, be honest. No one would be willing to give the amount of money I would require to get me to live there, but at least I'm honest enough to say that "if one confined oneself to the newly gentrified areas they might be okay". The OP asking about living somewhere I think that deserves better than the L.A. tourist board-PR version of downtown.
Exactly what was I being dishonest about? And this thread is not about you. Who cares about whether or not you would want to live downtown. Don't you live in the Crenshaw District? There is a hell of a lot of people who you could not pay enough to live there either.

And you are right, the OP is asking about places to live. So of all of the places downtown to live why did you mention Skid Row Go figure. She's moving here to attend college not to join a homeless camp. Of course, I'm going to suggest nice areas of downtown for her live. Why would I suggest otherwise? Most people who plan to move to LA are looking for advice on good and safe areas to live. I guess you call nice areas of LA touristy. Whatever..... I really don't get your point.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 07:42 PM

5,612 posts, read 9,065,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Exactly what was I being dishonest about? And this thread is not about you. Who cares about whether or not you would want to live downtown. Don't you live in the Crenshaw District? There is a hell of a lot of people who you could not pay enough to live there either.

And you are right, the OP is asking about places to live. So of all of the places downtown to live why did you mention Skid Row Go figure. She's moving here to attend college not to join a homeless camp. Of course, I'm going to suggest nice areas of downtown for her live. Why would I suggest otherwise? Most people who plan to move to LA are looking for advice on good and safe areas to live. I guess you call nice areas of LA touristy. Whatever..... I really don't get your point.
#1 I don't live in the Crenshaw district, I grew up there. #2 The areas where I lived are still beautiful and clean. (And still predominately Black) #3 There are very nice areas of L.A. that are not touristy, I just don't consider Downtown one of them. I think the "cleaning up of Downtown has nothing to do with improving the quality of life for those who are Downtown. The developers just want a section that looks good so they can justify pricing low-middle, middle class people out of L.A. If they were truly interested in improving quality of life they would have started with the homeless. Instead they are driving them out to turn Downtown L.A into Manhattan with equally high prices.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
#1 I don't live in the Crenshaw district, I grew up there. #2 The areas where I lived are still beautiful and clean. (And still predominately Black) #3 There are very nice areas of L.A. that are not touristy, I just don't consider Downtown one of them. I think the "cleaning up of Downtown has nothing to do with improving the quality of life for those who are Downtown. The developers just want a section that looks good so they can justify pricing low-middle, middle class people out of L.A. If they were truly interested in improving quality of life they would have started with the homeless. Instead they are driving them out to turn Downtown L.A into Manhattan with equally high prices.
Again, I don't get your point. You are off topic IMO. The bottom line is you don't like downtown, which you have made abundantly clear through your biased and exaggerated comments. However, just because you don't like downtown, does not mean that the entire area, which is quite large, is “filthy” and “nasty” as you erroneously stated earlier.

I also find it ironic that you grew up in one of the most dangerous and crime ridden areas of the city and yet you speak of downtown as if it doesn't have nice pockets and sections just like Crenshaw does. There is no difference. And, in fact, Crenshaw has always been more dangerous than downtown, especially over the last 30 years.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:24 PM

Have you ever been to the Crenshaw district? It doesn't sound like it. You are trying to make Crenshaw district sound like South Central which it is not. For clarification, the parts of the Crenshaw district I'm talking about is from Rodeo to Vernon. Anything south of Vernon is not nice. From Jefferson to Washington wouldn't be considered nice, either. But I would never recommend anyone live in those areas.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Have you ever been to the Crenshaw district? It doesn't sound like it.
FYI, Mr. high and mighty, I'm BLACK. I grew up in LA, and I know Crenshaw and all of its surroundings well. LOL

Old 03-09-2008, 08:41 PM

Mr.? Are you sure? You are as right about that as everything else. (read profile)

Old 03-09-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Mr.? Are you sure? You are as right about that as everything else. (read profile)
Am I sure about what? My race?

Old 03-09-2008, 09:39 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,896,157 times
Thumbs up Babe and Ricky's, among others

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
FYI, Mr. high and mighty, I'm BLACK. I grew up in LA, and I know Crenshaw and all of its surroundings well. LOL
Hi Real:

I have a friend visiting from the Bronx next week. Back in the mid '80s he came out and I showed him around. He dug it and this time I want to try some new spots, not so touristy. One of them is Babe and Ricky's, where I sat in on the Monday jam a few times. Do you know if Tony Ibarra is still hosting the jam? The food is amazing, damn that is a fun gig.

I can't recommend that place enough. If you can navigate thru all the USC boys who think they can play guitar, you're in good shape! Any info you have is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 03-09-2008, 10:07 PM

5,398 posts, read 7,449,342 times
hey crenshaw is gettin light rail in the year 2016!!! ok i jest, but i just had to say that. anyhow downtown is great. i have been going to downtown all my life. the alleys, broadway, and even skid row (as well as the rest of downtown). back in the day DT was deserted after 5 pm, except for the people looking for sandwiches we had them. but over the years i have seen the shift and the homeless hav mostly stayed in the skid row area. that part of town from 8th north is dead... you got some dingy spots that might offer a good concert or show, but most of the action happens west of skid row . skid row is not downtown. its only a lil spot. i have also partied in downtown for years. i have fond memories of the alexandria!! we never had a problem with anything. and now partyin is even better. i have often times found myself with a pint at weilands. and all of j town. i love going from the figueroa all the way up to the edison, walking mind you. i have never had a problem with downtown. can i live there? no! and i am perfectly fine with that. most places in dowtown are too expensive and dont offer any greenery. i'll take the patch of grass in front of my house any day over a skyline. downtown is not for everyone, but anyone can enjoy it. try it out.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:18 PM

18 posts, read 60,153 times
Quote:
Park La Brea is pretty and expensive. 1 bedroom runs about $1500. The surrounding Wilshire Corridor is a little less but not much. Continuing towards FIDM, Koreatown is probably your safest, less expensive option. (1 bed $1,000 2bed $1,500) Maybe the two of you can roomie.
$1500 for a one bedroom?! That's not as bad as thought. I work at a property up here in the bay area (Marin County) and our rents start at 1570 for a one bedroom. I live in an apartment up here and am paying 1200 for a one room. A $300-400 difference is not that bad for what I will be paying especially when comparing the area in the Bay Area I live in compared to Park La Brea. I say it is definitely worth it, plus I'll be having financial aid.

Yay! Thank you! I'm excited now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles