Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 11:13 PM

601 posts, read 755,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
And when I was in Thailand I found there was an Michael Jackson like obsession with skin lightening/whitening. Which was explained that the darker your skin the lower your perceived socioeconomic class is because it means you spend your time working out in fields/etc. Which is kind of the opposite of our culture where people spend time tanning because having a tan means you have free time for leisure and don't have to work
I noticed this a LOT in Laos as well, it was kind of sad..to be truthful.

The explanation of field work makes sense, but to be completely honest, I think it's more so because of the ugly history of French colonialism in the entire region. It's not just light skin that's prized - more Anglo-ized features are highly desired as well.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:16 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,667,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
The U.S. Census Bureau in 2015 decided to no longer lump Filipinos with Asians and will count them as Pacific Islanders, starting with the 2020 census.

U.S. CENSUS BUREAU TO RECLASSIFY FILIPINOS FROM ‘ASIAN’ TO ‘PACIFIC ISLANDER’ |
Kinda hard to not call them asian cause so many have blood from other parts of asia.

Last edited by owl6969; 02-04-2016 at 11:35 PM..

Old 02-05-2016, 09:40 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
The U.S. Census Bureau in 2015 decided to no longer lump Filipinos with Asians and will count them as Pacific Islanders, starting with the 2020 census.

U.S. CENSUS BUREAU TO RECLASSIFY FILIPINOS FROM ‘ASIAN’ TO ‘PACIFIC ISLANDER’ |
the report you linked to is actually a hoax that gained a surprising amount of traction on various internet forums. the u.s. census bureau has no plans to reclassify filipinos as pacific islanders.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...b15-rtq26.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: MONDAY, NOVEMBER 09, 2015
Census Bureau Statement on Classifying Filipinos
November 09, 2015

NOV. 9, 2015 — The Census Bureau has no current plans to classify Filipinos outside of the Asian race category. Filipinos are classified as Asian on Census Bureau forms based on the Office of Management and Budget’s definition, which specifically states that people whose origins are from the Philippine Islands are part of the category Asian.

According to OMB, Asian refers to a person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent, including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand and Vietnam.

At this time, the Census Bureau is conducting the 2015 National Content Test and is testing the design of the race question for the 2020 Census. This test will frame the recommendations for the 2020 Census race question, which has Filipino as an example under the Asian category.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:48 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Japanese think they are better than everyone. South Koreans think they are better than everyone but Japanese. Everyone else thinks they are better than Filipinos. That's my observation from knowing a lot of asians
this is unbelievably simplistic, not to mention quite offensive. please don't speak on behalf of japanese, koreans, filipinos, or other people with roots in asia.

it's just sad how so many non-asians love to make broad generalizations about the various asian ethnicities based on secondhand experiences.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:53 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,294 times
Ethnic classification is just a matter of numbers. if you have the numbers, like Chinese, Japanese, Filipinos etc, they will classify you as such. otherwise, they will lump you as just Asian or Pacific Islander

just look at the census in previous decades, some ethnicities were just lumped together. the more recent ones have more groupings and that is due to increasing number of such ethnicity.

that's why you don't see yet Thai, Indonesian or whatever. their numbers are just small so they are just lumped together as Asians

Old 02-05-2016, 10:20 AM

994 posts, read 782,612 times
This Thread is making me hungry,

Old 02-05-2016, 10:28 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
On the California school enrollment forms, I've noticed that on the Ethnicity sections, the "Asian" subgroups all have 2XX codes (Chinese-201, Japanese-202, Korean-203... "Other Asian"-299) and are listed together. Then Pacific Islanders have 3XX codes ("Native Hawaiian"-301, Guamanian-302, Samoan-303... "Other Pacific Islander"-399). Finally, Filipino is listed separately as 400 (instead of having a 2XX "Asian" code).

I have no idea why they're singled out. I just noticed it and thought it was curious.

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 02-05-2016 at 11:39 AM..

Old 02-05-2016, 10:52 AM

908 posts, read 1,302,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
No. IMHO socioeconomic differences between Asians has very little to do with heritage, it's entirely dependent on when your family/culture began migrations to the US, and under what circumstances.

Chinese tend to be wealthier because they began migration much earlier - at the turn of the last the century. Their community has had much longer to establish itself and grow roots. In more recent years, Chinese who migrated here are more likely to be wealthier and educated - many were sent to attend American colleges. When you have a community, you have resources to learn English, get a better job, all of these things.

Compare that to Cambodian/Hmong/Lao, who only started migrating around 1980. Most are still first and second generation. Few were educated or wealthy - they were war refugees, after all. There are still few resources available to these people to this day, little to no English language courses for them, thus making it hard to assimilate and increase their income.

Wealth takes generations to build.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. I was just pointing out an observation based on what I've seen in the California, not stating that certain Asian groups are wealthier because of their heritage.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:53 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
You know, when you have 2nd, 3rd, or later generations of immigrants, they are no longer "Japanese", "Chinese", or "Vietnamese", etc.

They are "Americans".

Old 02-05-2016, 03:33 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post
I'm relatively new to socal and I've been meeting a lot of different asian people (I'm mixed asian myself). I've noticed that there's drastic cultural differences between the asian races. Can someone tell me what the cultural differences are between chinese, vietnamese, filipino, etc.?

Google searches only brought back differences in appearance which I don't care about.
If you noticed the differences, then you can observe the differences.

[]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: