Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 12:52 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,091,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post

Stick to going to RAGE and refrain from embarrassing yourself.
What's that supposed to mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 05:42 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,239,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post

You wouldn't understand

Old 02-09-2016, 09:13 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,173,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
He's trying to insult me by calling me gay. Because he's a troll.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:28 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,561,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
I said shed "a lot". Obviously it's never going to completely lose that mentality.

Bikers wouldn't end up creating traffic if there were more designated bike lanes.

Never did I say replace vehicle lanes with bike lanes? Just noting that one way streets immensely favor cars. Why take side streets when we have a perfect linear urban corridor on Wilshire? Why don't we just throw it above grade, make it a freeway, and do away with pedestrian life altogether. That's what side streets are for right?

Ridiculous what kind of immense changes people ask for just so they can get to work 5 mins faster.
And how do you think bike lanes come to pass? They take away a lane for cars.

Look I have nothing against bike riders, if someone has to ride a bike to get to work or can ride a bike to work, go for it.

What I see mainly though are people out for pleasure rides who ride for example on Colorado Blvd. They can't do the 35 mph speed limit. So yes they tie up traffic, you can't pass them. Imagine a car doing that. A car going 20 mph and creating a tie up.

Why put yourself at risk for a leisurely bike ride?There are plenty of places to ride that don't involve placing yourself in heavy traffic on major streets/boulevards.

I saw a father with two young children out leisure riding during rush hour by the 5 freeway on Fletcher Drive in Silverlake, I don't even get how that can be enjoyable and I was nervous for the kids, and you're so close to Griffith Park, go ride there.

Bikes mixing with cars is not a good combination.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:07 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,751,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Look I have nothing against bike riders, if someone has to ride a bike to get to work or can ride a bike to work, go for it.

What I see mainly though are people out for pleasure rides who ride for example on Colorado Blvd. They can't do the 35 mph speed limit. So yes they tie up traffic, you can't pass them. Imagine a car doing that. A car going 20 mph and creating a tie up.

Why put yourself at risk for a leisurely bike ride?There are plenty of places to ride that don't involve placing yourself in heavy traffic on major streets/boulevards.

I saw a father with two young children out leisure riding during rush hour by the 5 freeway on Fletcher Drive in Silverlake, I don't even get how that can be enjoyable and I was nervous for the kids, and you're so close to Griffith Park, go ride there.

You're absolutely right. I'm not saying bike lanes replacing vehicle lanes is a fix-all. Every solution has its problems.

But in LA, Wilshire is not the lone busy corridor in a sea of quiet side streets. LA's traffic issues extend into most secondary thoroughfares that branch off and surround these major streets. These streets are narrower, sometimes have parked vehicles on both sides, and speed limits are rarely followed. I don't personally bike, so I have no bias in this, but I wouldn't want a biker to have to traverse through those dangerous side streets, especially since that persons actions took a car off the road. BTW, lets not pretend that all cyclists are just out for a "leisurely stroll". Many choose this option to commute to work, and it is my girl belief that they SHOULD have those available options.

Anyway, I wouldn't think that taking a lane off a smaller side street would be completely feasible, so using a wide street such as Wilshire, which can be converted more easily, would be a sort of "lesser of two evils" type of thing.

Either way, with LA's built form, these major corridors should be used to their fullest advantage. In Wilshire's case, Purple Line subway underneath along with designated bus and/or bike lanes would make the street much more efficient, and take a lot of traffic stress off the side streets.

Obviously this will never happen if LA's car culture and mentality stay the way they are, but that isn't the case. LA NEEDS to become a more transit-oriented city if it wants to continue its status as a world class city.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:05 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,561,401 times
[quote=NativeOrange;42954237]You're absolutely right. I'm not saying bike lanes replacing vehicle lanes is a fix-all. Every solution has its problems.

But in LA, Wilshire is not the lone busy corridor in a sea of quiet side streets. LA's traffic issues extend into most secondary thoroughfares that branch off and surround these major streets. These streets are narrower, sometimes have parked vehicles on both sides, and speed limits are rarely followed. I don't personally bike, so I have no bias in this, but I wouldn't want a biker to have to traverse through those dangerous side streets, especially since that persons actions took a car off the road. BTW, lets not pretend that all cyclists are just out for a "leisurely stroll". Many choose this option to commute to work, and it is my girl belief that they SHOULD have those available options.

Anyway, I wouldn't think that taking a lane off a smaller side street would be completely feasible, so using a wide street such as Wilshire, which can be converted more easily, would be a sort of "lesser of two evils" type of thing.

Either way, with LA's built form, these major corridors should be used to their fullest advantage. In Wilshire's case, Purple Line subway underneath along with designated bus and/or bike lanes would make the street much more efficient, and take a lot of traffic stress off the side streets.

Obviously this will never happen if LA's car culture and mentality stay the way they are, but that isn't the case. LA NEEDS to become a more transit-oriented city if it wants to continue its status as a world class city.[/QUOTE]

While there are people who are using bikes to get to and from work, I am telling you what I am seeing are leisure riders, when they're in their little bike outfits and you can practically see what they had for breakfast, a helmet, and no backpack(you know a change of clothes), they're out for a leisure ride. I see more of that, many wear earbuds( I think that's crazy) and never even turn and look occasionally to see what is behind them, just assume the driver sees them, hell I even see some texting.

Choosing to ride in highly traveled areas(Silverlake is a good example) isn't smart. One Saturday I saw two guys riding side by side, taking up the whole lane. How entitled. If they at least rode single file cars could get by. Again, Griffith Park is close by, go ride there, better scenery and much safer.

And LA is making great strides in mass transit, I started using the Metrolink as soon as it started and commuted from the Valley to downtown LA. It was great. We now have the Red Line, the Gold Line, the Blue Line, etc.

It doesn't happen overnight.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:41 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,751,074 times
^^I agree with most of what you are saying, I think we're just on two different wavelengths here.

To your last paragraph, I know...I was merely stating that while increasing rail lines is fantastic and definitely first priority, LA needs to keep up on accommodating other forms of transportation. Whether that be leisurely cycling (which, in that case I agree that major streets should be avoided), or commuting to and from work.

It's definitely going in the right direction, it just needs to keep the momentum going, and the OP's notion would be counterintuitive to that.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:34 PM

3,344 posts, read 2,280,420 times
It appears LA had so much issues with NIMBYist special interest groups when they were planning the road and freeway system which lead to a half built freeway system we have today that just inefficiently dumps a large amount of traffic from the rest of the system into neighborhoods that do not have the infrastructure to handle it. Also the same groups that blocked branch freeways that distribute traffic off the main freeways also blocked rail transit projects such as the Wilshire subway "purple line" using various excuses such as earthquakes and methane, undesirable people, etc. Therefore you end up with an inadequate road system with no feasible transit alternatives aside from buses that are hopelessly stuck in traffic. Though the road situation at least isn't nearly as bad as San Francisco where like it or not anyone who just want to drive through the city needs to drive into heavy city street traffic.

If LA really wants to solve traffic issues while reclaiming the neighborhoods from cars they should really consider underground express roads carry traffic to and from the freeways in the central west area. As well as build world class rapid transit. I believe SF should do the same and consider extending BART to serve west San Francisco.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:41 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,801,280 times
I grew up around Boston where everything is one way. First off you have drunks and other idiots driving the wrong way head on into oncoming traffic. And if you miss a turn you have to drive in a circle that ends up being like 6 blocks out of your way to get where you were going. Boston's streets where designed for horse and buggy before the automobile existed and there is no excuse to intentionally design modern city that way

Old 02-21-2016, 09:46 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,801,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

You don't know what scary is. Try ridding your bike up and down Angeles Crest with packs of rice rocket motorcyclists and tuner cars racing on the highway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles